Ipswich close in on Ameobi deal

Jimbo

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Norwich City are winning the race to sign Luton midfielder David Bell, according to reports.

The 24-year-old is also being chased by Coventry and Leicester - where he finished last season on loan - but Sky Sports yesterday claimed Glenn Roeder was holding the upper hand.

They claim Roeder has stolen a march by offering Bell a “lucrative three-year deal”.

Bell impressed during his two months at Leicester, despite their relegation on the final day of the campaign, but cash-strapped Luton are desperate to offload arguably their biggest asset.

Roeder is no doubt also attracted by Bell's ability to play in both central and wide left and wide right positions- with dual-role players likely to feature regularly in this summer's transfer activity.

The City boss has also been linked with Shola Ameobi, but reports yesterday claim the Newcastle striker could be on his way to MLS outfit Toronto FC.

Ameobi is openly admired by Roeder, who admits the cost of bringing him to Carrow Road is prohibitive.

However, Toronto coach John Carver - who helped bring Ameobi through the youth ranks at Newcastle - has expressed more than a passing interest.

“I need some firepower up front and I am looking for new players, especially a striker,” Carver told Newcastle's Evening Chronicle.

“I've got my side organised now and have made Toronto difficult to beat, but I need to sign players in that area.

“Shola is a kid I brought through the system at Newcastle United, and a kid I know an awful lot about.

“If I can get Shola into this football club he would be a huge, huge asset for us.”

Ameobi, 26, finished the season on loan at Stoke, but even though the Potters were promoted to the Premiership, it is understood both sides are reluctant to make the deal permanent.

Toronto have filed a “discovery claim” on released City winger Darren Huckerby, and while Carver said that his team have “two or three things going on” in the player market, it is understood they have yet to make a formal approach to Huckerby or his representatives.

Stoke City have released Dominic Matteo, Russell Hoult, Marlon Broomes and Robert Garrett as manager Tony Pulis plans for life in the Premier League.

Out-of-contract captain Dominic Matteo joined Stoke from Blackburn in 2007 and suffered an injury-plagued 2007/08 campaign that saw him start 14 league games.

Russell Hoult, Marlon Broomes and Robert Garrett were also released, while on loan striker Shola Ameobi returned to Newcastle United.

"The work has already begun," said Pulis on the club's official website. "Over the last two seasons I have had to build a new squad for each of them seasons and this year will be no different.

"We will make sure we get the best players we can at the best prices we can, but them players have to not only be good enough to keep us up, but they must also be the right players with the right attitude."

Guest Patrokles
What a fucking cling on. Like a piece of shit that just won't drop.

Take the fucking hint you fucking useless cunt

Again, irony overload.

Possibly having your pettiest day yet, (which has to be as spectacular as it is depressing)

Your pointless disagreement is ruining this thread. :icon_lol:

Fop, you have become a shadow of your former cleft.

Fuck off, tbh. You're just as petty, as demonstrated time and again, and above. Pathetic little hypocrite.

Guest alex
What a fucking cling on. Like a piece of shit that just won't drop.

Take the fucking hint you fucking useless cunt

Again, irony overload.

Possibly having your pettiest day yet, (which has to be as spectacular as it is depressing)

Your pointless disagreement is ruining this thread. :icon_lol:

Fop, you have become a shadow of your former cleft.

Fuck off, tbh. You're just as petty, as demonstrated time and again, and above. Pathetic little hypocrite.

Was there any need to stir the shit about a fortnight later?

Woke up this morning, full of the joys of spring. The sun is shining, the birds are singing and mrs hips is off work and has just got the treatment. All is well.

I then open this thread........... :crylaughin:

As the song goes..

'Tell me why, tell me why, tell me why; why can't we live together?' :icon_lol:

• 3 weeks later...
NEWCASTLE United striker Shola Ameobi could be on his way to Championship side Norwich City to team up with his former boss Glen Roeder.

The out-of-favour Toon striker's agent said the player would be keen to talk over a move to the East Anglian club.

Steven Denos has also ruled out a move to the USA with MLS side Toronto, managed by former Newcastle coach John Carver.

And he added that there had been no contact with Middlesbrough following rumours of a possible move to Teesside.

Denos said Norwich have made no approach for Nigerian-born goal-getter yet, but expects business in the transfer market to step up a gear over the next two weeks ahead of pre-season.

Speaking to the Norwich Evening News, Demos said: "He's not going to the MLS, that's not an option we're looking at. We've had no contact from Middlesbrough and no offer in from Norwich City," said Denos.

Denos did admit that Ameobi, who still has 12 months to run on his current contract, is surplus to requirements under Kevin Keegan, but that the Magpies would want a sizeable transfer fee if he was to leave.

Ameobi went out on loan to promoted Stoke City at the end of last season but failed to make an impact, making six appearances without scoring, and the Potters' interest in the player seems to have waned.

But Roeder is a big admirer of Ameobi, 26, having worked with the player during his stint as the Magpies manager, and the arrival of the 6ft 2in striker at Carrow Road would certainly go a long way to filling the gap left by the departures of Dion Dublin and Darren Huckerby.

"It's certainly something we would consider if Norwich approached us," added Demos.

"But Norwich haven't done anything yet."

http://ipswichtown.myfootballwriter.com/fu...icle.asp?i=3539

Ipswich boss Jim Magilton is poised to break his transfer record by some distance after Newcastle accepted a £3.5 million offer for out-of-favour striker Shola Ameobi.

It is now up to the Nigerian-born player to decide whether or not he wants to drop down to the Championship with the ambitious Tractor Boys.

Ameobi, 26, recently rejected the chance to stay in the Premiership with newly-promoted Stoke, where he played six games on loan – without managing to score a goal – towards the end of last season.

The news may also alert Norwich boss Glenn Roeder, a former St James' Park boss and known admirer of the player after he admitted making an attempt to sign him on loan last term.

As to whether the Canaries can match Town's spending power, however, remains to be seen.

What is not in doubt is that Roeder is a fan of the player. As recently as his end-of-season press briefing the Norwich boss stated: "Shola Ameobi is a player that I like – whether Shola Ameobi is prepared to drop into the Championship, I don't know."

Middlesbrough were said to be interested but Roeder added: "All paper talk; all paper talk. And, to be honest, I don't even want to really talk about what Newcastle might meant to be getting or not meant to be getting. I don't think Kevin Keegan would enjoy me talking about one of his players, so we'll drop it there."

Ipswich's move will test Roeder's liking for the player. Does he just sit back and let them get on with it or does he quickly speak to the Carrow Road hierarchy, try to squeeze at least £3.5 million out of them and hope that knowing Ameobi as well as he undoubtedly does prompts the player to head for Norfolk?

Magilton managed to keep secret his move for the tall, powerful striker until myfootballwriter.com was first to hear the news today.

The Portman Road boss was known to have several players on his summer shopping list but that he is prepared to spend such a large chunk of his budget on the Newcastle front man may take a lot of supporters by surprise

Yeh.

Was there a massive strop that I missed or did he slide gently into the night?

He slid gently into the night in a dignified manner. :icon_lol:

Yeh.

He slid gently into the night in a dignified manner. :P

Ah this explains both Manc-mag's tetchiness and the further magnifying of his obsession with "Fop". :icon_lol:

Although on topic is there anywhere Shola isn't going according to the papers?

Yeh.

He slid gently into the night in a dignified manner. :P

Ah this explains both Manc-mag's tetchiness and the further magnifying of his obsession with "Fop". :P

To be fair aren't you the one having a go at him in a completely unrelated thread? :icon_lol:

Yeh.

He slid gently into the night in a dignified manner. :icon_lol:

Ah this explains both Manc-mag's tetchiness and the further magnifying of his obsession with "Fop". :P

To be fair aren't you the one having a go at him in a completely unrelated thread? :icon_lol:

I'll think you'll find he was/is having a go at "me" in both threads. :P But if he's lost Patrokles (:hump:) to have a go at, then there's less to spread his obsession on. :hump:

NEWCASTLE United are hopeful of sparking a bidding war for striker Shola Ameobi this summer, but the player’s agent has denied that a £4m bid from Championship club Ipswich Town has been accepted.

Ameobi returned to St James’s Park at the end of the season after enjoying mixed fortunes during a loan spell at Stoke and his hopes of resurrecting his United career appear slim – paving the way for a number of ambitious second-tier clubs to make their move for the former England Under-21 front man.

Newcastle are hopeful of receiving a figure approaching the £4m that they had negotiated with Stoke for Ameobi’s transfer to the Britannia Stadium before that move broke down amid doubts from both parties about how easily the striker would fit into the Potters’ style of play.

And, while there is clearly interest in the forward from a number of clubs reports yesterday that claimed that Ipswich have agreed a £4m fee have been dismissed by Ameobi’s agent Steven Denos as “speculation”.

There has been no official comment from Ipswich but sources in East Anglia have indicated that although the club made a tentative enquiry to United a fortnight ago regarding a fee for the forward they are yet to follow up their interest.

And that view of events was backed up by Ameobi’s representative Denos, who told The Journal that Newcastle are yet to receive an acceptable offer for the Nigeria-born striker.

“It’s speculation,” he said. “As far as I’m concerned Ipswich have not put a bid in for Shola. There has certainly been no dialogue from Newcastle to me to the effect that a bid has been submitted from any club at this stage.

“Our position is that we will be willing to talk to any club that puts a bid in to Newcastle that is acceptable.”

What is clear is that Ameobi is attracting the interest of a number of clubs, with East Anglian rivals Ipswich and Norwich both weighing up a bid.

There has also been interest from the John Carver-coached MLS club Toronto FC but Ameobi is not interested in a move to North America and is believed to favour staying in England – even if it means dropping down a division.

Norwich manager Glenn Roeder has already confirmed his interest in a player he worked with during his time at United but his resources are dwarfed by rivals Ipswich, who have benefited from a sizeable cash injection from businessman Marcus Evans.

Ipswich’s current wage structure may be a problem, however, with the club unwilling to go above the £10,000-a-week mark – a figure below the basic salary that Ameobi is on at St James’s Park.

The situation may be complicated further if Middlesbrough decide to follow up their interest in the striker, with the promise of further Premier League football sure to appeal to a player who first broke into the team during Bobby Robson’s time as manager.

Denos has reiterated that he and his player would be willing to talk to any club if they had a bid accepted.

“One thing for certain is that Newcastle would want a hefty transfer fee for him,” he said.

“He’s not going to MLS. We’ve had no contact from Middlesbrough and no offer in from Norwich City.”