Ipswich close in on Ameobi deal

Jimbo

3.5M a fair price?

Its daylight robbery!

The leagues worst striker with 12 months on his contract??

He is by far the worst striker in the league.

Its good money for us thought :icon_lol:

Worst striker in the league? Catch yourselves on.

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3.5M a fair price?

Its daylight robbery!

The leagues worst striker with 12 months on his contract??

He is by far the worst striker in the league.

Its good money for us thought :icon_lol:

Worst striker in the league? Catch yourselves on.

I meant "far from the worst". Typo.

Norwich Evening News:

New twist in Ameobi saga

DAVID CUFFLEY, EVENING NEWS SPORT

12 June 2008 10:52

Striker Shola Ameobi's departure from Newcastle appears to have moved a step nearer with his removal from the list of first team players on the club's official website.

But it remains doubtful whether Norwich City have the financial clout to enter the bidding for the 26-year-old Nigerian-born forward.

Fresh reports suggest Newcastle will offload the striker for an initial £2m - but that City's East Anglian rivals, Ipswich Town, have followed up their initial interest with an offer rising to £3.5m based on appearances and promotion to the Premiership.

Newcastle manager Kevin Keegan is on holiday but reports in the North East claim Town are prepared to pay £2m plus another £1m based on appearances and a final £500,000 payment if they clinch top-flight football. Ipswich have refused to comment.

Ameobi's absence from the squad list suggests he is surplus to requirements at St James' Park after a disappointing six-game loan stint at Championship runners-up Stoke at the end of last season.

Instead, Keegan is believed to be keen to recruit France's £10m-rated St Etienne striker Bafetimbi Gomis.

Ameobi's agent, Steve Denos, told the Evening News earlier this week that the player would relish a reunion with City boss Glenn Roeder but insisted there had been no approach from Carrow Road. Denos was not available for comment last night.

Roeder has said he believes Ameobi is a Premier League player - and he may be putting all his eggs in one basket at upwards of £2m for one player, plus salary.

Meanwhile, striker Martin Paterson, another player Roeder admires, has been told he is going nowhere by Scunthorpe chairman Steve Wharton despite his written transfer request and public comments on his desire for a return to the Championship.

“In light of recent interviews, Iron chairman Steve Wharton has spoken to Martin Paterson and explained the club's position to him,” said a club statement. “There is nothing further to add other than to re-iterate that Martin is not for sale.”

Leeds United are reported to be ready to offer former England striker Andy Cole a two-year player-coach deal at Elland Road.

The 36-year-old had been linked with the Canaries, where former Newcastle team-mate Lee Clark is assistant manager.

Cole joined Sunderland on a one-year contract last summer. He spent the second half of the season on loan at Burnley but declined a permanent move.

He is understood to be keen to stay in the north for family reasons.

The whole thing has reached the point of ridiculousness now. It all just seems to be fluff and rumours until someone actually turns up for training.

SHOLA Ameobi’s proposed move to Ipswich Town has fallen through – leaving Kevin Keegan nearly £4m short in his transfer kitty.

Newcastle United had agreed a £3.5m package with Ipswich to let the 26-year-the old striker go to Portman Road.

But I understand that, with Ameobi not willing to commit himself to Ipswich and hoping that a Premier League club will come in for him, the Tractor Boys are rapidly losing interest.

And this is not the news that Kevin Keegan, vice-president Tony Jimenez and director of football Dennis Wise want to hear.

To be fair to United’s top brass, the £4m package they agreed with Stoke City, which saw Ameobi at the Britannia Stadium in the latter part of last season, was a good piece of business.

So too was the £3.5m they had worked out with Ipswich for a player who came through the ranks and cost them nothing.

The Chronicle revealed last month that Ameobi had done an about-turn and decided he did not want to go to the Potteries on a permanent deal.

Glenn Roeder was Ameobi’s boss at St James’s Park for a while, and he would love to take the former England Under-21 international to Carrow Road.

But Roeder has a tight budget and he cannot pay anywhere near £4m for a single player, and it remains to be seen if some kind of compromise can be worked out.

United supporters are quite naturally more interested in who is coming in to the club in the next few weeks than they are in who is leaving.

But since the end of the season Stephen Carr has gone on a free, Lamine Diatta was not retained, Peter Ramage was sold to Queens Park Rangers, David Rozehnal joined Lazio and Emre has returned to Turkey, leaving Keegan’s squad a bit short on numbers.

In addition, Joey Barton is languishing in Walton Jail and refusing to take the pay cut Ashley and the club want him to.

United supporters desperately need some good news from the club.

However, the fixtures for next season are out on Monday and this always gets the fans’ adrenalin pumping again.

SHOLA Ameobi’s proposed move to Ipswich Town has fallen through – leaving Kevin Keegan nearly £4m short in his transfer kitty.

Newcastle United had agreed a £3.5m package with Ipswich to let the 26-year-the old striker go to Portman Road.

But I understand that, with Ameobi not willing to commit himself to Ipswich and hoping that a Premier League club will come in for him, the Tractor Boys are rapidly losing interest.

And this is not the news that Kevin Keegan, vice-president Tony Jimenez and director of football Dennis Wise want to hear.

To be fair to United’s top brass, the £4m package they agreed with Stoke City, which saw Ameobi at the Britannia Stadium in the latter part of last season, was a good piece of business.

So too was the £3.5m they had worked out with Ipswich for a player who came through the ranks and cost them nothing.

The Chronicle revealed last month that Ameobi had done an about-turn and decided he did not want to go to the Potteries on a permanent deal.

Glenn Roeder was Ameobi’s boss at St James’s Park for a while, and he would love to take the former England Under-21 international to Carrow Road.

But Roeder has a tight budget and he cannot pay anywhere near £4m for a single player, and it remains to be seen if some kind of compromise can be worked out.

United supporters are quite naturally more interested in who is coming in to the club in the next few weeks than they are in who is leaving.

But since the end of the season Stephen Carr has gone on a free, Lamine Diatta was not retained, Peter Ramage was sold to Queens Park Rangers, David Rozehnal joined Lazio and Emre has returned to Turkey, leaving Keegan’s squad a bit short on numbers.

In addition, Joey Barton is languishing in Walton Jail and refusing to take the pay cut Ashley and the club want him to.

However, the fixtures for next season are out on Monday and this always gets the fans’ adrenalin pumping again.

Oh aye, we'll be thrilled to see us playing any of the top 8-10 with no signings. Blood pumping in panic maybe :)

Talk about hedging his fucking bets....

A Premiership club DID want him... has he forgotten Stoke got promoted?

:)

Talk about hedging his fucking bets....

A Premiership club DID want him... has he forgotten Stoke got promoted?

:)

He's clearly waiting for Chelsea to swoop in and sign him as Drogba's replacement.

Oh FFS, just go you useless cunt.

Edited by Bizza

The Daily Mail:

Ameobi on brink of £3.5m deal to leave Newcastle for Norwich

Norwich are on the verge of signing Newcastle forward Shola Ameobi in a deal that could ultimately be worth £3.5million.

The former England U21 striker has knocked back moves to Ipswich and Stoke this summer but is keen to link up with his former St James’ Park manager Glenn Roeder, who is believed to have persuaded his board to find the finance for the deal.

Jimbo, will you barricade the cunt in at Carrow Road until he signs? :D

Just getting my coat on now....

Here we go again:

Ameobi not on his way to City

DAVID CUFFLEY, EVENING NEWS SPORT

19 June 2008 09:58

Striker Shola Ameobi is NOT poised for a dramatic move to Norwich City - despite reports today that a deal worth up to £3.5m has been agreed with Newcastle United.

The former England Under-21 striker could instead be on his way to West Bromwich Albion.

One national newspaper today claimed that Ameobi, 26, was keen to link up again with City manager Glenn Roeder, his former boss at St James' Park, and that a fee that could rise to £3.5m had been agreed between the two clubs.

City chief executive Neil Doncaster declined to comment on the reports, saying: “I don't generally comment on transfer speculation.”

However, it is understood from sources close to both clubs that there is no deal - and no new twist to the long-running transfer saga.

Ameobi's agent, Steve Denos, told the Evening News last week that the player would relish a reunion with Roeder but insisted at the time there had been no approach from Carrow Road.

Instead, Ameobi appeared to be on his way to Ipswich, who were reported to have agreed an initial £2m fee, rising to £3.5m.

Manager Jim Magilton confirmed Town's interest, but said: “We have made an inquiry about Shola but not a bid. The lad has just got married and has been away on his honeymoon which we have not wanted to interrupt.

“When he gets back I'm hoping to be able to speak to him personally. A lot of things so far have been done through intermediaries but until I can speak to the lad myself we can't move on.”

However, it is now understood Town's interest has cooled and Ameobi's options may be running out.

He had a spell on loan at Stoke at the end of last season but a proposed permanent deal fell through and sources in the north today claimed newly-promoted West Bromwich was the player's most likely destination.

Roeder tried to sign Ameobi on loan last season and was singing his praises again at the end of the season, but he suggested he was a player who was likely to stay in the Premier League.

“I think he's a fantastic player, certainly rated much more highly by me than lots of other people who tend to be like headless chickens running round the place who don't score,” said Roeder at the time.

“He scores goals. Whether Shola Ameobi is prepared to drop into the Championship I don't know. I believe he is a Premiership player - I don't believe, I know he is. He would blitz the Championship. If I was Shola Ameobi I would only want to play in the Premiership.”

Ameobi has been troubled by a hip injury, however, and has scored just five goals in the last two seasons.

“I think he's a fantastic player, certainly rated much more highly by me than lots of other people who tend to be like headless chickens running round the place who don't score,” said Roeder at the time.

Lost the plot :D