Barton pleads guilty to assault

smoggeordie

Footballer Joey Barton has been given a four month suspended sentence at Manchester Minshull Street Crown Court for assaulting a team-mate.

The 25-year-old midfielder, now with Newcastle United, repeatedly punched Ousmane Dabo who was on the floor during the attack at a training ground.

On Monday he admitted a charge of assault occasioning actual bodily harm when both were Manchester City players.

He is currently serving a six-month jail term for an attack while on bail.

During the attack for which he was jailed he punched a man in Liverpool.

For this latest incident, which happened in May, he has also been ordered to carry out 200 hours community service and must pay £3,000 compensation to Dabo as well as footing the prosecution costs.

The court heard that Liverpool-born Barton punched former Manchester City colleague Ousmane Dabo up to five times, leaving him unconscious and covered in blood on the ground.

He had claimed he acted in self-defence but changed his plea to guilty yesterday ahead of a scheduled trial in Manchester.

Barton was sold by Manchester City to Newcastle United in a £5.8m deal last summer, signing a five-year contract.

His club has said it will not be commenting on the case.

'Explosive' violence

Richard Vardon, prosecuting, described the incident at City's Carrington training ground as an "explosive combination of football and violence".

The two players apparently rowed on the training pitch and Dabo, 31, pushed Barton away as he swore at him.

Barton retaliated punching him in the head and causing Dabo to lose consciousness.

Witnesses were due to give evidence saying they saw Barton continue to punch his team-mate as he lay dazed on the ground.

It is the third time Barton has been in court during 2008.

In May he was jailed for the Liverpool attack which was caught on CCTV.

Later that month he was cleared of vandalising a taxi on a night out in Merseyside.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7482620.stm

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disappointing.

They need to learn what Geordies crave.

Official statements like "Following media reports this morning the chairman wishes to make it clear that Alan Shearer has never said to him that he would knock seven bells out of anyone." are the lifeblood of this club.

Again from the description again the injuries don't seem all that severe (of course this may be weeks later or something).

_44795692_dabo.jpg

He's probably glad Big Dunc's retired tfb.

Again from the description again the injuries don't seem all that severe (of course this may be weeks later or something).

_44795692_dabo.jpg

He's probably glad Big Dunc's retired tfb.

I saw a picture of him looking alot worse.

Guest alex

Some right thick cunts (as usual) representing our club on 5Live. One going on about how we should never have signed him because he was a thug saying we gave him and chance and then he goes and does this. Not realising this happened before we signed him.

Guest alex
CCTV footage of the attack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMorhNRmiDM

I hope he gets bummed stupid inside.

No no no, he probably deserved it, if anyone on here had witnessed it they would have just kept on walking and kept their neb out, you never know what went on before it etc etc. :rolleyes:

No ones actually said that, don't let that stop you making the same point over and over again though.

CCTV footage of the attack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMorhNRmiDM

I hope he gets bummed stupid inside.

No no no, he probably deserved it, if anyone on here had witnessed it they would have just kept on walking and kept their neb out, you never know what went on before it etc etc. :wub:

In fairness to the McD's incident at least, whilst he probably got what he deserved for acting like that, at the same time it was by all accounts rather provoked. It usually takes 2+ to make a fight and it wasn't just him losing it (initially at least) at some random person that had done nothing.

Baiting someone till they bop you on the nose and then :rolleyes: ing about it is pretty damn low in itself.

Some right thick cunts (as usual) representing our club on 5Live. One going on about how we should never have signed him because he was a thug saying we gave him and chance and then he goes and does this. Not realising this happened before we signed him.

Some of the stuff in the papers has been :) , and I'm sick of reading "not fit to wear the proud black and white colours of Newcastle". I'm slightly amazed there hasn't been a bring back hanging campaign over it.

NEWCASTLE United are set to get tough on any wayward behaviour from players with a new disciplinary code of conduct.

The club – reeling from Joey Barton's latest assault conviction – is determined to be making the headlines for the right reasons in the coming campaign.

While manager Kevin Keegan, his staff and the club's hierarchy have no problem with players celebrating a win, they will make it clear to his squad when they return for pre-season training next week that it will have to be done at the right time, and at the right place.

They will be told that drinking in Newcastle, or anywhere else for that matter, in the build-up to games is unacceptable, and that fans do not take kindly to seeing players out in the city after a defeat.

Owner Mike Ashley wants to restore the club's battered reputation, and anyone who gets out of line can expect to face disciplinary action.

And Keegan will have any instances of players out at inappropriate times brought to his attention.

Barton, meanwhile, is expected to have his own code of conduct drawn up by lawyers if he wins a reprieve at United.

The 25-year-old was yesterday given a four-month suspended sentence and 200 hours community service, and ordered to pay £3,000 compensation to former Manchester City team-mate Ousmane Dabo, who he assaulted in a training ground dispute last year.

As revealed in yesterday's Gazette, Newcastle will hold talks with Barton and his representatives before making any decision on his future, with all options being kept open by owner Mike Ashley, who has to weigh up moral, ethical and financial considerations.

One option is to terminated his contract, but more likely is a renegotiation of his wages, which are understood to be in excess of £60,000-a-week.

Barton is currently serving a six-month jail sentence for an assault in his home city of Liverpool in the early hours of December 27 last year after going AWOL after being left out of Sam Allardyce's team to face Wigan Athletic at the JJB Stadium on Boxing Day.

However, the midfielder is now eligible for early release, and he and his advisors are hopeful he will be out before the start of pre-season training on Monday.

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/nufc/Toon-ge...oozy.4245951.jp

Darn tootin. They shouldn't be allowed out the house.

NEWCASTLE United are set to get tough on any wayward behaviour from players with a new disciplinary code of conduct.

The club – reeling from Joey Barton's latest assault conviction – is determined to be making the headlines for the right reasons in the coming campaign.

While manager Kevin Keegan, his staff and the club's hierarchy have no problem with players celebrating a win, they will make it clear to his squad when they return for pre-season training next week that it will have to be done at the right time, and at the right place.

They will be told that drinking in Newcastle, or anywhere else for that matter, in the build-up to games is unacceptable, and that fans do not take kindly to seeing players out in the city after a defeat.

Owner Mike Ashley wants to restore the club's battered reputation, and anyone who gets out of line can expect to face disciplinary action.

And Keegan will have any instances of players out at inappropriate times brought to his attention.

Barton, meanwhile, is expected to have his own code of conduct drawn up by lawyers if he wins a reprieve at United.

The 25-year-old was yesterday given a four-month suspended sentence and 200 hours community service, and ordered to pay £3,000 compensation to former Manchester City team-mate Ousmane Dabo, who he assaulted in a training ground dispute last year.

As revealed in yesterday's Gazette, Newcastle will hold talks with Barton and his representatives before making any decision on his future, with all options being kept open by owner Mike Ashley, who has to weigh up moral, ethical and financial considerations.

One option is to terminated his contract, but more likely is a renegotiation of his wages, which are understood to be in excess of £60,000-a-week.

Barton is currently serving a six-month jail sentence for an assault in his home city of Liverpool in the early hours of December 27 last year after going AWOL after being left out of Sam Allardyce's team to face Wigan Athletic at the JJB Stadium on Boxing Day.

However, the midfielder is now eligible for early release, and he and his advisors are hopeful he will be out before the start of pre-season training on Monday.

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/nufc/Toon-ge...oozy.4245951.jp

Darn tootin. They shouldn't be allowed off the training ground.

FYP :rolleyes:

Ousmane Dabo has labelled Joey Barton a 'coward' and criticised Newcastle United for lacking 'ethics and morals'.

On Tuesday, Barton escaped a second term in prison when he received a four-month prison sentence, suspended for two years, after admitting assault occasioning actual bodily harm on former Manchester City team-mate Dabo.

The 25-year-old was due to go on trial at Manchester Minshull Crown Court on Monday, but changed his plea shortly before the scheduled start.

And Dabo, currently contracted to Serie A side Lazio, has stated that he is content with the outcome of the trial.

A terrible day

The 31-year-old said: "I almost lost an eye. It was a terrible day and although I was not traumatised, I wanted the trial to come round.

"There was no confrontation, as Barton pleaded guilty straight away, and I did not need to give evidence. That says a lot about me - it shows that my version of the truth is the truth. I am happy with the outcome.

"He admits he behaved in a cowardly way, and he is a coward. We met one another on Monday. He was in one corner and me in another. He did not talk to me or apologise, but it did not trouble me to see him again."

Dabo went on to criticise Barton's club Newcastle - who are set to hold discussions with the player over his future at the club.

Shocked

"English clubs teach you lots of lessons, but in this case they truly lack ethics and morals," Dabo said.

"Newcastle have invested a lot in this guy and they do not want to lose a lot of money. The club does not care about the law and it shocks me."

Barton is currently serving a six-month jail term which began on 20th May after pleading guilty to charges of assault and affray over an incident in McDonald's in Liverpool city centre on 27th December.

Skysports

Ousmane Dabo has labelled Joey Barton a 'coward' and criticised Newcastle United for lacking 'ethics and morals'.

On Tuesday, Barton escaped a second term in prison when he received a four-month prison sentence, suspended for two years, after admitting assault occasioning actual bodily harm on former Manchester City team-mate Dabo.

The 25-year-old was due to go on trial at Manchester Minshull Crown Court on Monday, but changed his plea shortly before the scheduled start.

And Dabo, currently contracted to Serie A side Lazio, has stated that he is content with the outcome of the trial.

A terrible day

The 31-year-old said: "I almost lost an eye. It was a terrible day and although I was not traumatised, I wanted the trial to come round.

"There was no confrontation, as Barton pleaded guilty straight away, and I did not need to give evidence. That says a lot about me - it shows that my version of the truth is the truth. I am happy with the outcome.

"He admits he behaved in a cowardly way, and he is a coward. We met one another on Monday. He was in one corner and me in another. He did not talk to me or apologise, but it did not trouble me to see him again."

Dabo went on to criticise Barton's club Newcastle - who are set to hold discussions with the player over his future at the club.

Shocked

"English clubs teach you lots of lessons, but in this case they truly lack ethics and morals," Dabo said.

"Newcastle have invested a lot in this guy and they do not want to lose a lot of money. The club does not care about the law and it shocks me."

Barton is currently serving a six-month jail term which began on 20th May after pleading guilty to charges of assault and affray over an incident in McDonald's in Liverpool city centre on 27th December.

Skysports

I'm not surprised Dabo got a slap to be honest, he doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut imo (I'm not defending what Barton did but there's no need to whinge about it). Personally I don't like this whole let's have a go at Newcastle mularky, you know fine well that even if we did sack Barton any number of clubs would be waiting in the wings to sign him up on a free and we'd lose out for nothing, and nobody would say a thing about whichever new club signed him up having a lack of morals.

A terrible day

Shocked

Skysports

I'm not surprised Dabo got a slap to be honest, he doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut imo (I'm not defending what Barton did but there's no need to whinge about it). Personally I don't like this whole let's have a go at Newcastle mularky, you know fine well that even if we did sack Barton any number of clubs would be waiting in the wings to sign him up on a free and we'd lose out for nothing, and nobody would say a thing about whichever new club signed him up having a lack of morals.

Yup from that statement and rhetoric I'm only surprise a lot more people haven't had a go at him.

It's one of those threads that will end up with Barton as the victim. :wub:

Nah, but from those comments you wouldn't bet against more than a little windup going on. Plus I wonder if he'd give up £5,000,000 or whether in that case he would too choose to truly lack ethics and morals and not care about the law (not that the law states a footballer should be sacked in these circumstance).

Just reminds me of the kid that would be happy to cause trouble, but then run straight to teacher at the first sign of backlash, and then becomes very brave again, is all. :rolleyes:

To be fair to Dabo, he was probably lead to that answer by a Journo looking to add a little spice to the piece. If Dabo calls Newcastle United names, Newcastle united might respond which is another day's work done for the Journo.

Whether he was l lead into that answer or not it's pretty clear to anyone what the papers will make of certain scenarios.

If we keep Barton we are dirty, immoral and scummy but if we let him go the club on the receiving end will 'boldly rescue his career/try to save barton/ throw him a lifeline' or some old shite.

Whether he was l lead into that answer or not it's pretty clear to anyone what the papers will make of certain scenarios.

If we keep Barton we are dirty, immoral and scummy but if we let him go the club on the receiving end will 'boldly rescue his career/try to save barton/ throw him a lifeline' or some old shite.

That's exactly it, if we could sack him but keep hold of his registration that would help matters a lot - why should someone else get him on a free and us lose out?