1st signing OFFICIAL!

Park Life

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jonas Gutierrez aims to emulate NUFC ace Solano

Evening Chronicle

JONAS GUTIERREZ has revealed he will use Newcastle United’s South American past heroes as an inspiration as he bids to become a St James’s Park favourite.

Down the years United fans have watched on with disappointment as the likes of Daniel Cordone, Christian Bassedas, Fumaca and Diego Gavilan all failed to deliver.

Yet Gutierrez is determined to emulate Nobby Solano, Tino Asprilla and the Robledo brothers to make sure he can write his way into Geordie folklore.

The Argentina international has yet to kick a ball for United but is expected to be unleashed when the Magpies face PSV Eindhoven and Valencia in home friendlies next month.

Gutierrez – signed by Kevin Keegan from Real Mallorca – was given the option to head back to Palma at the weekend when Newcastle visited Hartlepool, but opted to stay on and get to know his team-mates during the trip to Victoria Park.

And Gutierrez also insisted he has no qualms about the cold weather compared to Spain,

He said: "I know a lot about Tino Asprilla and Nobby.

"I have watched them play – Nobby has been in Argentina so he is well known.

"If I can be as popular as them it would be great.

"As a team though we have to do much better than last year.

"The weather is also no problem – it is more beautiful to play football in Newcastle!"

Gutierrez already has a good grasp of English, yet feels that the presence of another former La Liga star Jose Enrique will aid his settling in period at Gallowgate.

He added: "Jose Enrique will be a big help. It makes it easier to adapt to the life.

"He told me what to expect too. I’m very happy to be here.

"It’s a big club and there are a lot of big players here.

"Now I just can’t wait to play in the Premier League."

The 25-year-old has been training with his team-mates for over a week at the club’s Benton HQ, and has been impressed by Keegan.

He continued: "I like Kevin so much already. He talks like he is one of the players but also has the respect.

"That’s good for me because I am new here and I want to settle quickly.

"I heard what Kevin has said and I want to repay him and the fans."

Toon fans discovered in Saturday night’s Chronicle that Gutierrez will not be able to don his Spiderman mask should he score for Newcastle due to FIFA guidelines.

Yet the South American gave an insight on how the celebration came about.

He added: "The rules have changed, so I can’t use it any more.

"I met a child and his father at the cinema and went to watch Spiderman.

"I told them that if I scored in the next game I would use the mask to celebrate."

Not sure if this has been posted

Keegan eyes striking role for Jonas Gutierrez

Jul 22 2008

by Anal Oliver, Evening Chronicle

Jonas Gutierrez

KEVIN KEEGAN has revealed that his new signing Jonas Gutierrez is a man of many talents.

And he admitted today he has yet to decide just where he will play the Argentinian.

While it has been assumed that the 25-year-old is an out-and-out winger, Keegan is also toying with the idea of playing him as a striker, preferably alongside a target man like Mark Viduka.

Gutierrez only managed five goals for Real Mallorca, but Keegan is clearly unconcerned about this. And the more the United manager sees of him in training, the more he likes him.

Keegan told me today: “When you see Jonas in training, you know he can play anywhere.

“He is absolutely top quality, and the fans are going to really like him. He knows the game, and he can play. He sees all the pitch, and maybe could play off a front man as well.

“I’ve never asked him that, but when you see him in training, he is another one who can really run and cover the ground.”

Gutierrez was with the official party which went to Hartlepool for Saturday’s first friendly, even though his paperwork had not been completed after his transfer from Real Mallorca.

He could have had the weekend off to sort out his personal affairs back in Palma but he chose to stay with his new colleagues.

United and Real Mallorca still have to sort out the eventual transfer fee and they are expecting word back from UEFA on this in the near future.

Mallorca, of course, are hosting the Multi Media Summer Cup in Palma next weekend, with United the star attraction, but the word from both clubs is that Gutierrez will not be involved.

This would leave him to make his United debut in the friendly with PSV Eindhoven at St James’s Park on Wednesday, August 6.

And whether he will have any more new colleagues alongside him remains to be seen, even though Keegan could not have made it clearer how much he feels he needs to strengthen his squad.

There is talk that United will increase their £3m bid for Blackburn Rovers left-back Stephen Warnock.

But, speaking in Austria today, Rovers new boss Paul Ince insisted that he had not received any increased offer.

It is:

Article 13.2 - Section 4

Superhero masks - Masks may not be worn of any Marvel or DC superhero masks during play. They may be worn however in the dugout. Players and team officials are also not allowed to wear body suits to replicate bulky superhero's such as Hulk and the Thing.

Sub-note : Phantom of the Opera style masks are allowed.

• 2 weeks later...

Gutierrez gets Argentina call

Jonas Gutierrez has been called into the Argentina squad for the season's first international get-together. The winger is included in the 18-man squad for the game against Belarus on Wednesday, August 20. He will have to report after the Magpies' opening game of the season at Old Trafford on Sunday, August 17. Keegan will be hoping the player reports back with no problems ahead of the first home game of the season, against Bolton Wanderers on Saturday, August 23.

Do we actually hold Gutierrezs registration yet?

anyone know?

Well i assume so, KK had said he cudnt play in docaster and hartlepool games bcoz we didnt have it, and since he's featured for us since id imagine we have...just a guess like :D

Edited by Geordie Lad...

• 2 weeks later...