Ketsbaia

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coach hails NUFC target Fabricio Coloccini

Jul 29 2008 by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

Fabricio Coloccini

NEWCASTLE United will be landing a player of the highest quality if they succeed in their efforts to sign Argentinian defender Fabricio Coloccini.

That is the verdict of Coloccini’s current coach at Deportivo La Coruna, Miguel Angel Lotina, who is desperate to keep the 26-year-old centre-half.

“If Coloccini goes it will be the great disappointment of the summer,” he said.

“The team that takes Coloccini will be getting a quality footballer, a footballer to take your hat off to, and they will be playing a dirty trick on me.

“He is a tremendous footballer for what he gives on the pitch and in the dressing room.”

United were locked in talks with Deportivo today aimed at salvaging their bid for Coloccini.

United have had an offer of more than 11m – plus one million more in add-ons – for the Argentina international rejected by the La Liga club.

The Chronicle revealed on Saturday that Newcastle were closing in on the South American stopper, who arrived at the Riazor Stadium from AC Milan four years ago and is now desperate to sign for Kevin Keegan.

But the move is now deadlocked, with Coloccini’s agent Marcelo Lombilla – who has been in the middle of negotiations for the past three months – hitting out at Deportivo president Augusto César Lendoiro last night before returning to Argentina, frustrated that the proposed deal has fallen flat.

Lombilla said: “We must think this part of the negotiation is over. Lendoiro has to understand there’s nothing else.

“If there were more options, I would be staying (in Spain).

“Just to clarify the things, this possibility with Newcastle appeared three months ago when the offer was for 8m.

“They even presented a better offer, one for 11m, plus one additional million (for add-ons).

“Therefore, we’re talking about an offer for 12m. Evidently, he (Lendoiro) believes there’s more, but there isn’t!”

The fact that Coloccino’s days with the Spanish club appear to be numbered is underlined by the fact that he was left behind when the Deportivo squad yesterday flew to Venezuela for their pre-season tour.

But Lombilla’s agent insists he has not refused to travel with his team-mates and instead was left behind in La Coruna to work on his fitness.

Lombilla also denied there had been a bid from Tottenham, who yesterday banked £20.3m from Liverpool for Robbie Keane.

And he insists Coloccini is desperate to join Newcastle, who are prepared to double his Deportivo wages.

Lombilla added: “The player is wanted in several places but the English league is what seduces him the most in both senses: economic and sporting.

“It was proposed to Fabricio a five-year contract with a salary that’s doubling his current wages. There wasn’t any other offer that was not coming from Newcastle.

“I know Ramos personally. I have a good relationship with him and there was great interest but no offers.

“The only one exceeding 10m, which I knew that could satisfy the president, was the one of Newcastle and it was also interesting for the player.”

How good is this guy? It sounds like a lot of money to pay for a defender who hasn't played over here before.

I've never seen him play, but I'm pinning my hopes on him being better than Chimbonda.

How good is this guy? It sounds like a lot of money to pay for a defender who hasn't played over here before.

I've never seen him play, but I'm pinning my hopes on him being better than Chimbonda.

We should be alright then. :icon_lol:

From what I've seen of him, and not just because of his hair, he reminds me a bit of Puyol. Not saying he's the next Puyol, or as good, but he plays with his heart and is fairly athletic, can also use the ball well on the ground as most argies can. If we still havn't got another DMC in as backup for Butt, then I can see Coloccini doing a job there if needed. Ideally though, he would play with Faye/Taylor, also could cover RB if Beye is injured.

Would be nice to have another spanish speaker in there for Jonas and Jose. I think Geremi can speak a bit of spanish from an interview I read a while back; but if I was a young spanish lad it would probably wrong me out talking to Geremi all day.

According to FM08 :icon_lol: - Milan signed him as a youngun from Boca.

He spent 3 or 4 seasons on loan at different clubs but it looks like maybe he didnt live up to his potential and he was sold.

I'm wondering about this rule that we got Guiterrez on. Collocini's agent is threatening to make his player do the same thing. Are we pushing players to do this? Because if so then that could put us very low on other clubs respect and make it less likely to accept bids from us. Just a thought.

I'm wondering about this rule that we got Guiterrez on. Collocini's agent is threatening to make his player do the same thing. Are we pushing players to do this? Because if so then that could put us very low on other clubs respect and make it less likely to accept bids from us. Just a thought.

If it's legal everyone will be doing it soon enough, it's no different to being held hostage in the other direction really.

If it's legal everyone will be doing it soon enough, it's no different to being held hostage in the other direction really.

Also, we don't need them to accept the bids, now do we?

tbf, if we're shelling out £8m on defender, we might have more to spend than has been let on. perhaps we have money but keegan will only sanction it being spent on the right players and we're biding our time before making a swoop for several first choice targets.

....i fucking hope so anyway

Edited by Dr Gloom

tbf, if we're shelling out £8m on defender, we might have more to spend than has been let on. perhaps we have money but keegan will only sanction it being spent on the right players and we're biding our time before making a swoop for several first choice targets.

Haven't the club ALWAYS said they'd back Keegan in the players he wanted to buy?

I've not believed a word to the contrary in any rag either way.

I'd say we defo have more money than has been reported. We've tried to sign Woody(£10m-ish), Modric(£15m-ish) and possibly Collocini (£8m-ish). I think that shows we defo have £25m+ to spend, depending on whether they're the right players. I think the problem has been us getting knocked back on players, or individuals not available for sale.

Re: wages, I think Modric and Woody would defo have been on a decent wedge. The reports are mentioning that we're trying to double Collocini's wages too. So I'd say talk of a wage cut is bull. Keegan also mentioned Owen is a week or 2 away from signing a new contract too.

I'd say we defo have more money than has been reported. We've tried to sign Woody(£10m-ish), Modric(£15m-ish) and possibly Collocini (£8m-ish). I think that shows we defo have £25m+ to spend, depending on whether they're the right players. I think the problem has been us getting knocked back on players, or individuals not available for sale.

Re: wages, I think Modric and Woody would defo have been on a decent wedge. The reports are mentioning that we're trying to double Collocini's wages too. So I'd say talk of a wage cut is bull. Keegan also mentioned Owen is a week or 2 away from signing a new contract too.

That only shows we have £15m+ to spend tbf.

Haven't the club ALWAYS said they'd back Keegan in the players he wanted to buy?

there have been too many stories about wage restructuring and cost cutting for there not to be some truth in it, don't you think? no smoke without fire and all that.

i'd like to think we've got £50m to blow on keegan's top targets and i'll be pleasantly surprised if that turns out to be the case come the end of the window

Fair enough. I reckon there's more than that available though.

Also, all the stuff in the rags is completely made up about us slashing wage bills, etc.

Fair enough. I reckon there's more than that available though.

Also, all the stuff in the rags is completely made up about us slashing wage bills, etc.

I think you're probably right there. I think they money will probably be there for the right players. At least I hope it is.

there have been too many stories about wage restructuring and cost cutting for there not to be some truth in it, don't you think? no smoke without fire and all that.

i'd like to think we've got £50m to blow on keegan's top targets and i'll be pleasantly surprised if that turns out to be the case come the end of the window

I think there's plenty of smoke without fire. the fleet street scum make a living by creating smoke despite a distinct lack of fire. All I've heard from the club is....

Chris Mort

"Over the summer, we will look to strengthen the squad further,"

"In addition to immediate fixes, we will want to acquire players that can help make Newcastle United a top team for the medium and long term."

"It is frustrating that Modric, like Woodgate before him, should take less money than we offered to move to the bright lights of London and European football with Tottenham next season,"

"But these are the sorts of difficulties that should get easier to address once we build a squad that competes at the right end of the table."

Kevin Keegan

"I have no proof of that yet but I have no doubts he will (back me).

"If I can get three or four players in to add to what I have got here - and we have that bit of luck you need with no injuries to key players - then we might be able to win the second division of the Premier League."

hahaha, what a joke, all the prats saying ashley is a moron for not throwing money about and not offering aimar £70kpw etc. etc.

Now hes a dude again! Some people on here are as bad as the bloody prats that write the papers

hahaha, what a joke, all the prats saying ashley is a moron for not throwing money about and not offering aimar £70kpw etc. etc.

Now hes a dude again! Some people on here are as bad as the bloody prats that write the papers

Can you actually point to one person who was saying what you claim in the first bit and is now saying what you claim in the second bit btw?

Very excited about this development. All this Chicken Little nonsense about wage bills and no backing is just that - nonsense. Keegan has been given the funds to go after players he wants, such as Aimar (didn't happen but nevertheless we were in for him) and now this Coloccini. Hope it doesn't come to a Webster move but I wouldn't say no if it did, Coloccini looks to have some steel in him and he would be a great addition to our back line. I saw the 7-8mil amount being bandied about and I think he'd be great value at that price.