Tonight's match

The Fish

Have you lost to Wealdstone, Barnet and MK Dons? Barely managing draws with Hereford and Brentford having been 9 points clear at the top of the table at a point last season but not having gotten promoted? You're not that bad. I'd be encouraged as how you did at the end of last season was good.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you lost to Wealdstone, Barnet and MK Dons? Barely managing draws with Hereford and Brentford having been 9 points clear at the top of the table at a point last season but not having gotten promoted? You're not that bad. I'd be encouraged as how you did at the end of last season was good.

thanks for the perspective

This is the first time in ages I've watched Smith play a full 90 minutes and I've only just remembered how bad he is.

Bassong looked impressive though - strong, athletic and looked pretty composed as well. How many times have we said that about a new centre-back here? Edgar looked alright also. In fact he has done whenever I've seen him play.

Bassong looks decent. wouldnt like to comment on anything else. hopefully well sign a CM before the new season starts. But to be fair theve been after modric and aimar so it looks like thats definetly a gap theyre trying to fill. Fingers crossed.

:D went to the pub to meet a lass....

I'll be handing in my man's badge and balls on me way out... sorry lads, I've let ya down :razz:

Are you trying to say we're relegation on the basis of these public training sessions?

No but thats only for the fact the 3 coming up are so poor

you saying were going be much higher than say 15th on the basis of our squad etcetc?

were not relegation but were not exactly going be miles from it either i dont think.

i love the way some people bang on about friendlies "oh its just for players to find there feet and get fit"

Indeed,

difference being we couldn't even get a result against shite teams while the likes of other premier teams are sticking a few goals past better sides

friendly or not theres no excuse for us not getting some form of result against likes of doncaster and co let alone fcking losing.

I think we'll be higher than 15th, yes.

You wont be relegated this season but I fear if you pick up a few injuries you may be in the mixer, however you had to at some point pay for FFS mismanagement of your club.

You need to slowly build again.

You wont be relegated this season but I fear if you pick up a few injuries you may be in the mixer, however you had to at some point pay for FFS mismanagement of your club.

I'm pretty sure the side we start the season with will be a million miles away from this.

I'm pretty sure the side we start the season with will be a million miles away from this.

Im sure it will be but a few injuries to key players.....

another toothless performance yes..... but we need a little perspective here.

we were missing beye, faye, butt, n'zogbia, owen, martins, viduka, barton and gutierrez plus fingers crossed we'll be able to add coloccini to that list in the coming days. that's nine players that i think most of us would agree would be in our starting xi.

i agree that it's a concern that we are playing so bad and the lack of chances highlights the need for the playmaker we are all craving. but should we put those nine players above in our team somehow, all fully fit, i'd imagine the result would be completely different as the end of the season run demonstrated.

my main worry is that we seem to be ditching the 4-3-3 and going back to other systems that aren't working. lets see what happens with the next two friendlies as the likes of beye, martins and owen will likely feature and we are back at home. psv and valencia will be the best sides we've faced so far, so let's judge how we do in these games as the mach sharpness starts to return.

Well that hurts most sides outside the top 4. Everton and Villa have small squads lets not forget.

Well, Bassong, Duff & Enrique played alright I thought....IMO...! Everyone else had a shitter...! Once again, totally nothing to offer up front.

Guthrie never really got into the game. Milner tried, but didn't exactly have the best support around him, Geremi, Smith, etc...! Taylor got on the wrong side of the forward, & Edgar was played out of position.

Smith is a useless piece of shit!

..............Martins Owen

Gutierrez/Milner Zoggy Butt ?/Duff

Enrique/? Coloccini Bassong/Faye Beye

.....................Given

Still need cover at left-back, a right-winger & a forward imo. I still feel Zoggy could be very effective in central midfield and is wasted at left-back.

Edited by Geordie Boyo

Well that hurts most sides outside the top 4. Everton and Villa have small squads lets not forget.

true but that side out there today couldnt beat an egg. For some reason I worry more about you than either of them.

another toothless performance yes..... but we need a little perspective here.

we were missing beye, faye, butt, n'zogbia, owen, martins, viduka, barton and gutierrez plus fingers crossed we'll be able to add coloccini to that list in the coming days. that's nine players that i think most of us would agree would be in our starting xi.

i agree that it's a concern that we are playing so bad and the lack of chances highlights the need for the playmaker we are all craving. but should we put those nine players above in our team somehow, all fully fit, i'd imagine the result would be completely different as the end of the season run demonstrated.

my main worry is that we seem to be ditching the 4-3-3 and going back to other systems that aren't working. lets see what happens with the next two friendlies as the likes of beye, martins and owen will likely feature and we are back at home. psv and valencia will be the best sides we've faced so far, so let's judge how we do in these games as the mach sharpness starts to return.

We'll get mullahed by both those sides.

This is the Key

I'm a bit tired of the quick fix fans, who think that a bit of cash and a few token panic buys will be some magic salve, curing the real cancer of the club which is over a decade of mismanagement from the top-most level.

I will endure yet another season of midtable mediocrity if it means we're not building our new castle on shifty sands.

investment in youth and a first team who knit together is where success lies, not a team of names, nor a team of journeyman. I'm hoping we're not done buying, but I'm not expecting us to carry the preseason form on into the league.

as I remember it, under Keegan we didn't ever really excite in pre-season anyway

This is the Key

I'm a bit tired of the quick fix fans, who think that a bit of cash and a few token panic buys will be some magic salve, curing the real cancer of the club which is over a decade of mismanagement from the top-most level.

I will endure yet another season of midtable mediocrity if it means we're not building our new castle on shifty sands.

investment in youth and a first team who knit together is where success lies, not a team of names, nor a team of journeyman. I'm hoping we're not done buying, but I'm not expecting us to carry the preseason form on into the league.

as I remember it, under Keegan we didn't ever really excite in pre-season anyway

I agree. Top 10 sounds like a reasonable aim for this season. Like you I'd settle for midtable mediocrity if it means we're making some form of progress, but we might as well aim high. Our squad does have gaps, but we're expecting some more transfers, and in fairness our squad really isn't that small. When players are injured we might as well use the time as an advantage to bring in some youth, because otherwise they could get left out of the side for ages and their chances of success as a Newcastle first-team player will diminish as that happens due to a lack of progress.

Our squad isn't THAT bad either. There's talk of relegation but I can't see how we're going to finish lower than last season. Sunderland can't seriously be pushing for top 10, and Middlesbrough are crap. Teams like Wigan, Bolton, Fulham and the promoted teams shouldn't be getting near us either.

Guthrie was rubbish in this match. Completely different to the Hertha Berlin match where he was quite good, and didn't turn the ball over.

Bassong was the standout player for us. Edgar and Enrique weren't bad. Milner had a shocker really... don't think he beat an opposing player all game. Smith is useless. Duff was ok, but had absolutely no support. Glad to say that not many of those guys will get into our first 11 when we have a full squad to choose from. You would think though that they would have been keen to impress to try to break into that first team. Hope they enjoyed their holiday - I didn't enjoy the bits of it I saw!

Are you trying to say we're relegation on the basis of these public training sessions?

No but thats only for the fact the 3 coming up are so poor

you saying were going be much higher than say 15th on the basis of our squad etcetc?

were not relegation but were not exactly going be miles from it either i dont think.

i love the way some people bang on about friendlies "oh its just for players to find there feet and get fit"

Indeed,

difference being we couldn't even get a result against shite teams while the likes of other premier teams are sticking a few goals past better sides

friendly or not theres no excuse for us not getting some form of result against likes of doncaster and co let alone fcking losing.

Last year didn't we show Celtic up and beat Juve?

Thought so.

Well it was pretty awfull lets make no bones about it. But I would be amazed if we ever line up with a side approaching that in a competetive game.

The only decent thing the (shite) Setanta comentators said all game was that they couldn't see Smith playing many games next season. I fucking hope not because he looks a shocking excuse for a footballer these days. I wouldn't be surprised if he never scores another goal at any level.

Bassong was the obvious positive, he looked fast, strong, decent in the air and composed on the ball (being left footed is a big bonus too). But let's not get carried away as their forwards were no great shakes. Couldn't have done any better though to well done to the lad.

Gutherie looked ok and was at least trying to pick out some forward passes (which was pretty much impossible given Smith was the only one ahead of him).

That's about it for positives but I would imagine you only have about four players from our starting 11 in that lot so I'm not too despondant. Hopefully we will get Faye, Beye, Colloccini, Jonas, Owen, Martins and Viduka playing again very quickly and we will look a very different proposition (we'll still get twated on our opening day like).

Still need more players in though and some one who can link midfield and attack is a must.