The F1 2008 thread

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuck Singapore's night race. Just because they've bowed to the FIA's pressure to have a race that is on during the day for Europe means that Melbourne is struggling to hold onto their race. Surely part of the appeal of F1 is that it takes place all over the world? Aw, poor Europe has to get up early to watch a race. How about in countries like Australia where a race doesn't usually begin until 11pm at night? By forcing Melbourne to hold their race at night or they'll lose it will mean that it's obvious that they don't give a shit about anyone other than Europe. Fuck them.

Fuck Singapore's night race. Just because they've bowed to the FIA's pressure to have a race that is on during the day for Europe means that Melbourne is struggling to hold onto their race. Surely part of the appeal of F1 is that it takes place all over the world? Aw, poor Europe has to get up early to watch a race. How about in countries like Australia where a race doesn't usually begin until 11pm at night? By forcing Melbourne to hold their race at night or they'll lose it will mean that it's obvious that they don't give a shit about anyone other than Europe. Fuck them.

I completely agree, thats exactly what my son and I were saying earlier.

By forcing Melbourne to hold their race at night or they'll lose it will mean that it's obvious that they don't give a shit about anything other than money. Fuck them.

FYP.

Sadly, you're absolutely right. Places like Australia and South America and going to end up big losers in all of this because Asia will do whatever it takes to get their hands on a piece of the pie. Even Britain is going to lose out, let's forget about 'traditional' races where the fanbase has been entrenched for generations to hand the races to countries with brand new, and completely sterile tracks just because the FIA is all about the cash. Britain has produced world champions, Australia has too, but fuck that, let's hand the races to Singapore, or China, or India because they'll do whatever it takes to increase the bank accounts of everyone involved.

But now we're getting into outsourcing territory so maybe I should stop.

A night race is good, so long as it's a one off and not as a result of the loss of another circuit - particularly Melbourne which I consider to be one of the best.

If we're going to get rid of one then let it be Brazil - it's a fucking state and a million times worse in terms of development than Silverstone. That'll never happen though when you see who the promoter for that event is though... ;)

If they are going to hold another night race, let it be Monaco - it gives the peeps over the other side of the world a chance to see an event in their natural time-frame plus I think Monte Carlo at night would be more spectacular than Singapore :yes

Someone fancy sticking Luca's toys back in his pram for him? ;)

I think McLaren have a damned sight more to stamp their feet about this season than Ferrari....

Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo has launched a scathing attack on Sunday's Singapore Grand Prix.

Renault's Fernando Alonso took victory at the Marina Bay circuit but Ferrari drivers Filipe Massa slipped from pole to 13th and Kimi Raikkonen crashed out.

"When we race on tracks which should be used for the circus, anything can happen," he told Gazzetta dello Sport.

"This is humiliating for F1 and it is an aspect I want to talk about with the other teams in the next few weeks."

F1's first night race drew rave reviews from spectators but drivers complained about how bumpy the track was, particularly off the racing line, which made overtaking difficult on a street circuit hemmed in by barriers.

There were two safety car interventions, the first of which turned the race upside down and contributed to Spaniard Alonso's unexpected victory for Renault.

Alonso pitted before the safety car emerged a third of the way into the Grand Prix, which enabled him to tack onto the back of the field under safety car conditions and then go to the front when other drivers pitted when the pit lane was reopened.

Montezemolo, appointed this month as the first chairman of the F1 Teams Association, said before the race that street circuits, with their lack of overtaking opportunities, were not the way forward for the sport.

McLaren chief executive Martin Whitmarsh expects the events in Singapore to prompt a change in the rules relating to when drivers can pit under safety car conditions.

"It will happen I am sure by the start of next year," Whitmarsh told Autosport magazine.

"For people to change now they have to accept they got it hopelessly wrong, and it has to change during the winter."

Ferrari's failure to score any points in Singapore meant McLaren's Lewis Hamilton, who finished third behind Alonso, extended his championship lead over Massa to seven points with three races left.

"It was a bitter day, but there are three races left and I have faith in all of Ferrari's men," said Montezemolo. "We saw that last year in the final race in Brazil.

"Ferrari went through times much more difficult than this. I expect Massa and Raikkonen to always finish first and second in the three remaining races. In any case, ahead of McLaren.

The team president also backed the mechanics who gave Massa the green light during a pit stop despite the fuel hose still being attached to the car as he sped away.

"We have extraordinary mechanics who in other occasions have swung results our way," said Montezemolo.

"We must stay close to each other because Ferrari are always world champions and are still in the running to win."

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport...one/7644042.stm

If they have a legitimate issue with street circuits that you can't overtake on which are just part of the F1 calendar for the $$$ then perhaps they should give Monaco a miss next year.

Edited by alex

It's the complaining of 'bumps' in the circuit that gets me.... these guys are supposed to be driving in the pinnacle of motorsport and they're twisting because someone hasn't popped out with an iron to smooth out the road.

Fuck right off man..... ;)

Coulthard will be fucking excellent in the commentary box tbf.. Very quick witted and knows his stuff.

It'll make a change have two people who know what they're talking about rather than just Brundle. Most important thing of course is it sounds like we have managed to 'stop the cock' ;)

Coulthard will be fucking excellent in the commentary box tbf.. Very quick witted and knows his stuff.

Oh, I agree on that. And for all he'll trumpet his prejudices about certain drivers, he'll never be quite as bad as James Hunt with Patrese, so I suppose that's something. ;)

It'll make a change have two people who know what they're talking about rather than just Brundle. Most important thing of course is it sounds like we have managed to 'stop the cock' :yes

Oh yes. :rosetintspecs:

Actaully re-reading that, Coulthard is sounding like he's going to be doing the role DCI Blundell is doing. A vast improvement IMO.

I'm over the moon Legard has got it... he should have replaced Murray back in 2001 ;)

It'll make a change have two people who know what they're talking about rather than just Brundle. Most important thing of course is it sounds like we have managed to 'stop the cock' ;)

I hope so, he seriously spoils my race day :yes

Number one on the priority list for me is Martin Brundle, he MUST be kept at all costs. He's a legend and his very much his own man.

I dont mind DCin the team, that will do for me, though I'd have preferred Damon Hill with Martin or maybe Johnny Herbert. My son wanted either Charlie Cox or swirvin' Irvin.

Edited by Toonraider

I hope so, he seriously spoils my race day :rosetintspecs:

Number one on the priority list for me is Martin Brundle, he MUST be kept at all costs. He's a legend and his very much his own man.

I dont mind DCin the team, that will do for me, though I'd have preferred Damon Hill with Martin or maybe Johnny Herbert. My son wanted either Charlie Cox or swirvin' Irvin.

No chance... :yes They're worried about DC being politically correct - Irvine would be like James Hunt magnified by 100...

Hill's too busy with BRDC to do it full time I think. Herbert would have been a good shout :no

• 1 month later...

1 .Lewis Hamilton 94

2 .Felipe Massa 87

In the unlikely event of Massa winning and Hamilton finishing in 6th place, the will both be on 97 points or if some how they both end up on the same points, who wins the championship?

1 .Lewis Hamilton 94

2 .Felipe Massa 87

In the unlikely event of Massa winning and Hamilton finishing in 6th place, the will both be on 97 points or if some how they both end up on the same points, who wins the championship?

Most wins probably, not sure though.

Taken from the BBC, the state of play

If Massa wins in Brazil, Hamilton must finish at least fifth to be champion

If Massa is second, Hamilton must finish at least seventh

If Massa is third or lower, Hamilton is champion regardless of his result in Brazil

Also, 123 in final practice was Alonso, Hamilton, Massa

As much as I'd love to see Massa take the title, its virtually Hamilton's. I don't anticipate problems with reliability as he should be able to relatively cruise to top 5; I think even Ferrari wouldn't try anything dodgy based on the bad blood over the last 2 seasons; and the stewards will definitely not get involved as they are already being scrutinised for being too involved this season.

If he had any sense hed crash into him and take away the element of chance!

Schumacher 1997.

He tried to take himself and Villeneuve out of the race and therefore win the championship. He only partially damaged Villeneuve's car, which was fixed, and knackered his own. Villeneuve finished 3rd (I think), and won the title.

If he had any sense hed crash into him and take away the element of chance!

Schumacher 1997.

He tried to take himself and Villeneuve out of the race and therefore win the championship. He only partially damaged Villeneuve's car, which was fixed, and knackered his own. Villeneuve finished 3rd (I think), and won the title.

He actually made no damage to Villeneuve's car. Schumacher was though out of the whole championship for that move though.

FWIW, i think Alonso may have a say in all of this. Passionately hates McLaren (not necessarily just Hamilton) and at China went on record to say he hoped either Kubica or Massa won the title.

Alonso is right behind Hamilton. He'd only have to be over zealous into turn one and Hamilton's race could well be over.