Andy Cole

Jimbo

More of a hero to me than Shearer by a million miles. I loved the unashamed joy he got from scoring and he summed up our "arrival" on the big stage.

I know he marked his card for a lot of people but I judge people by what they do in the shirt and he'll always be a legend to me.

Ditto, hearing that he had been sold is possibly my worst footballing moment.

I'd argue the selling of Ferdinand was worse. Literally made no sense at all and something of course which happened in the post-Keegan era.

When he sold Cole, you almost knew KK had something cooking in the pan. There was talk of Le Tissier, Collymore, Bergkamp, Ferdinand, Armstrong (yeah OK he was shite) and even Shearer coming in to replace Cole.

When we sold Sir Les, it was the beginning of the break-up of Keegan's team. We all expected Ginola to leave but no-one saw the other one happening.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Id pretty much agree about the selling of Sir Les being worse. At the time I was gutted and couldnt believe we'd sold Cole. But, we still had the core of the team and in fact while the Beardsley/Cole partnership was free scoring, the Shearer/Les one was stronger and still probably the best we've had to date. The timing of the Les sale was just simply awful.

It's an oft used cliche but I'd say in the case of Beardsley and Cole the understanding was almost telepathic. The first season in the first division was the best football we've ever played imo as well (that I've seen anyway), even if we played more effective football in some of the following seasons.

Agree to a point but the start of the following season was the best I've seen us play, seemed like we were winning 4 and 5-1 every week.

Yeah, I remember us having a spell at the start of the season where we scored 3, 4, 5, 3, 4, 5 in our first 6 games...although I seem to remember Steve Watson playing up-front at the time and scoring goals, as Beardsley fractured his cheekbone at Leicester on the first game of the season.

Seriously, I remember more about what was happening with Newcastle when I was 8-12 than what I do in the last 2-3 years. :angry:

I think we won something like our first 5 away games that season! Before losing at Old Trafford iirc. I remember going to the first match (the Leicester away game you mention) and coming away thinking we could genuinely win the league that year.

It's an oft used cliche but I'd say in the case of Beardsley and Cole the understanding was almost telepathic. The first season in the first division was the best football we've ever played imo as well (that I've seen anyway), even if we played more effective football in some of the following seasons.

Agree to a point but the start of the following season was the best I've seen us play, seemed like we were winning 4 and 5-1 every week.

Thinking back, I think you're probably right. Albert made a big difference. Hottiger gave us a different attacking dimension at RB too (although Watson was the better alround player) and the likes of Fox and Peacock (who was poor in the games he played after coming on deadling day the year before) were properly 'bedded in'.

Yeah, I remember us having a spell at the start of the season where we scored 3, 4, 5, 3, 4, 5 in our first 6 games...although I seem to remember Steve Watson playing up-front at the time and scoring goals, as Beardsley fractured his cheekbone at Leicester on the first game of the season.

Seriously, I remember more about what was happening with Newcastle when I was 8-12 than what I do in the last 2-3 years. :angry:

I think we won something like our first 5 away games that season! Before losing at Old Trafford iirc. I remember going to the first match (the Leicester away game you mention) and coming away thinking we could genuinely win the league that year.

Yeah, it looked good for a while. Didn't Keith Gillespie score against us in that match you mentioned? Seem to just remember thinking we were going to thrash anyone and everyone those first few months.

Thinking back, I think you're probably right. Albert made a big difference. Hottiger gave us a different attacking dimension at RB too (although Watson was the better alround player) and the likes of Fox and Peacock (who was poor in the games he played after coming on deadling day the year before) were properly 'bedded in'.

We were class then lost at Man Utd and were pure shite for the rest of the season. Cole scored against Ipswich, then didn't score again for about 8 or 9 games. I reckon in hindsight, he had possibly been made aware of Fergie's interest, in late November, it would explain how shit he was in his final games.

Seem to remember we were very close to signing Mark Hughes as well just after Cole went to Man Utd, but he knackered himself scoring against us a few days later and nothing came of it.

Rumour was at the time that Keegan wanted Hughes rather than Gillespie as the make-weight in the Cole transfer and while Ferguson agreed to it, Hughes turned down the move to Newcastle as his family were 'settled' in the NW.

Funny that he ended up at Chelsea a couple of months later.... :angry:

Seem to remember we were very close to signing Mark Hughes as well just after Cole went to Man Utd, but he knackered himself scoring against us a few days later and nothing came of it.

He did get injured but that didn't impact on the deal iirc. As you say it was just after Cole had gone and part of the deal was Cole wouldn't play.

The info I heard at the time was the Cole deal went along the lines of KK enquiring about Keith Gillespie, Ferguson then enquiring about Cole and KK then asking about the availability of Hughes. I think both clubs were happy with that but Hughes didn't want to leave Man Utd. Keegan was a big admirer of Hughes apparently.

Good stuff.

That was a great time to be brought up as a football fan. Just about remember the 91-2 season, but from the promotion season I remember it well. ITV having coverage to Newcastle & Sunderland games, Jack Charlton's sh*t co-commentary...and for some reason, one of my most vivid memories of that season was watching Sunderland against someone on ITV some Sunday afternoon, Peter Davenport waiting to take a penalty and trying mind-games with the keeper by pointing which way he'd put it...he went to put it where he pointed and the keeper saved it easily. :angry:

Good stuff.

That was a great time to be brought up as a football fan. Just about remember the 91-2 season, but from the promotion season I remember it well. ITV having coverage to Newcastle & Sunderland games, Jack Charlton's sh*t co-commentary...and for some reason, one of my most vivid memories of that season was watching Sunderland against someone on ITV some Sunday afternoon, Peter Davenport waiting to take a penalty and trying mind-games with the keeper by pointing which way he'd put it...he went to put it where he pointed and the keeper saved it easily. :angry:

:( Class.

Cole probably did leave Man Utd too early but funnily enough I respect him a lot more for that. When the horse arrived it was obvious he wasn't going to be a regular any more and preferred to go elsewhere rather than sitting on the bench picking up his wages. Strange also that Cole was only picked up by Fergie as a last minute option when a deal for Collymore fell through (iirc Collymore & Cole shared the same agent).

Keegan did agree a deal for Hughes but Sparky knocked it back. Gillespie was an interesting one, of all the great kids in that youth team Keegan picked the one that never really fulfilled his potential (Some would argue Savage didn't but I think he had a better career than Gillespie).

Did Keegan just pick the wrong one or was leaving Man Utd part of why he never fulfilled his potential? I can remember the League cup game at St James when Fergie played a lot of the kids with an experienced back 4 behind them. Gillespie was probably pick of the kids that night which obviously influenced Keegan. I often wonder if Gillespie regretted the move, it wasn't long after that Kanchelskis f*cked off and Gillespie would have had the chance to claim a regular starting position.

Cole probably did leave Man Utd too early but funnily enough I respect him a lot more for that. When the horse arrived it was obvious he wasn't going to be a regular any more and preferred to go elsewhere rather than sitting on the bench picking up his wages. Strange also that Cole was only picked up by Fergie as a last minute option when a deal for Collymore fell through (iirc Collymore & Cole shared the same agent).

Keegan did agree a deal for Hughes but Sparky knocked it back. Gillespie was an interesting one, of all the great kids in that youth team Keegan picked the one that never really fulfilled his potential (Some would argue Savage didn't but I think he had a better career than Gillespie).

Did Keegan just pick the wrong one or was leaving Man Utd part of why he never fulfilled his potential? I can remember the League cup game at St James when Fergie played a lot of the kids with an experienced back 4 behind them. Gillespie was probably pick of the kids that night which obviously influenced Keegan. I often wonder if Gillespie regretted the move, it wasn't long after that Kanchelskis f*cked off and Gillespie would have had the chance to claim a regular starting position.

he might have fuflilled his potential if Keegan had stayed at Newcastle ?

Personally, I think that Gillespie [ie the one who played under Keegan] wiped the floor with players such as James Milner.

I thought Gillespie was quite limited in all honesty. Better than Milner though, although a Milner with pace wouldn't be a million miles from the truth. If I think back to then though (and I'm a hrash judge anyway), I was judging players against their fellow Newcastle players rather than the rest of the league. He'd walk into today's side.

I seem to remember that Gillespie had his share of 'off-field' problems up here. I know he had gambling problems and wasn't it rumoured that Shearer twatted him in Dublin on a club trip?

Was this before or after Keegan left? If after Keegan then it sounds like LM has a point and the rot started after Keegan left.

I seem to remember that Gillespie had his share of 'off-field' problems up here. I know he had gambling problems and wasn't it rumoured that Shearer twatted him in Dublin on a club trip?

Was this before or after Keegan left? If after Keegan then it sounds like LM has a point and the rot started after Keegan left.

Not 100% sure off the top of my head but I think both took place before KK left. Certainly, there were loads of rumours about the gambling problems before then.

A cunt of a man, and a black persons black man. Arrogant, aloof, undeserving and ungrateful. I had no problem with him going to Man Utd, it was our choice to sell him, unlike Spurs when a bigger club comes in, we benefitted anyway. I had some of my greatest memories of NUFC when Cole was unplayable, he was a genuine hero for 2 years, but he fucked everything walking round Wembley in 1996 singing Sad Geordie Bastards with the FA Cup in his hand. I hope he gets what he deserves in the rest of his life.

:angry:

I can remember the League cup game at St James when Fergie played a lot of the kids with an experienced back 4 behind them. Gillespie was probably pick of the kids that night which obviously influenced Keegan. I often wonder if Gillespie regretted the move, it wasn't long after that Kanchelskis f*cked off and Gillespie would have had the chance to claim a regular starting position.

He was never going to be in the first team very long with a certain, floppy haired, softly spoken Londoner waiting in the wings.

Gillespie would have still been a bit part player with Beckham being the first choice. Gillespie did very well for us but he was exceptionally sutied to our style playing with expansive wingers who get to the by-line and whip crosses in. He was shite at doing anything else, no left foot, weak as piss. His game went downhill when we stopped being as attack minded.