iPhone

Andrew Flintoff

Vodafone are in as well now...

Vodafone enters UK iPhone market

Vodafone has reached an agreement to sell Apple's popular iPhone in the UK.

The announcement follows news that network operator Orange had secured a similar agreement with Apple.

The deals mark an end to the exclusive UK arrangement between O2 and the US technology firm, which has been in place since 2007.

Vodafone says users can register an interest online, with the handsets becoming available to customers from early 2010.

Orange said its customers would be able to buy the phone "later this year" but did not specify a date or pricing.

Vodafone is one of the biggest mobile operators in the world with an estimated 300 million customers world wide, making it the second largest carrier after China Mobile.

The agreement sees both Orange and Vodafone selling both the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS.

A spokesperson for Vodafone said the firm was "delighted" at securing an agreement with Apple and that the phone was going to be primarily for existing Vodafone customers.

This is a different model from that adopted by O2, which used the iPhone as an incentive to attract new customers.

O2 has offered the handset in the UK since its launch in 2007. In February, it said it had sold more than one million of the handsets.

The launch of the latest iPhone 3GS in June significantly boosted sales, with many stores running out of stock.

The phone has also allowed the firm to win subscribers from other networks, according to analysts.

Dave McQueen, principal analyst at Informa Telecoms and Media told BBC News said that the smartphones - which have the ability to surf the web and send e-mail - has put a burden on the O2 network.

"IPhone users to tend to use data quite extensively - perhaps more than anticipated," he said.

O2 will continue to sell the handset in Britain, alongside iPhone rival the Palm Pre.

The Palm phone, described by some as an "iPhone killer", will be available exclusively to O2 from 16 October.

O2 said that it always knew that its exclusive deal was for "a limited period of time".

In countries where exclusive deals still persist, such as the US, some customers choose to "unlock" their phones using third party software so they work on an unlicensed network.

However, Apple has warned that the practice can cause "irreparable" damage to a handset and has engaged in a game of cat-and-mouse, releasing periodic software updates which prevent unlocked phones from working correctly.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8278073.stm

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye I've used that for some stuff. Can you get tv series on it?

Should be able to, although it won't be as easy to locate an entire series as it would be with torrents.

Course it is

http://www.surfthechannel.com/show/66.html

Yeah that's okay if you've got decent internet speed and time to sit and watch. Downloading is another matter. Just tried 'Ghost Whisperer SE4EP01' as a test and all the Megavideo download links direct me to Usenext which I'm not signing up for. There's zero Rapidshare links too.

Well if you havent got time to sit down and watch it then its pretty pointless downloading stuff isnt it? Im only on about 5mbs and it runs flawlessly on my less than impressive laptop. I dont know why you are going to usenext either? I dont think youre doing it right. If youre signed up you click on the download arrow and it immediately opens up the download link

Well if you havent got time to sit down and watch it then its pretty pointless downloading stuff isnt it? Im only on about 5mbs and it runs flawlessly on my less than impressive laptop. I dont know why you are going to usenext either? I dont think youre doing it right. If youre signed up you click on the download arrow and it immediately opens up the download link

:lol: Fair Point there like KD

Aye I've used that for some stuff. Can you get tv series on it?

Should be able to, although it won't be as easy to locate an entire series as it would be with torrents.

Course it is

http://www.surfthechannel.com/show/66.html

Yeah that's okay if you've got decent internet speed and time to sit and watch. Downloading is another matter. Just tried 'Ghost Whisperer SE4EP01' as a test and all the Megavideo download links direct me to Usenext which I'm not signing up for. There's zero Rapidshare links too.

Why? Perhaps I want to download some episodes and put them on my iPod so I can watch them on my commute to work. And I'd give my right arm for speeds of 5Mbps! I get 1Mbps at best which is another reason I'd prefer to download during off peak times. Shame we don't all live in simple KD land. :lol:

Perhaps I didn't do it right as I only clicked the link, did a search then tried to download. Haven't signed up for anything as it's not glaringly obvious you need to do so.

Doesn't matter anyway as I just chimed in to give Gemmil my opinion, not to get into a pissing contest with you over what's the best way to watch TV shows online. I'm quite happy with my FilesTube/Rapidshare combo to get the stuff I want.

There was a double page spread in the 'In Gear' section of this week's Sunday Times about what are meant to be the best iPhone apps. Not sure if that's available online though.

Just been to my local Apple Store, had my iPhone exchanged with a brand new one, my old one had a tiny crack near the mute switch, I'd booked an appointment at the Genuis bar and they swapped it no quibble, fantastic service, can't imagine Nokia or SE doing the same.

booked myself an appointment for wednesday, what all did you bring down with you to get yours changed Jimbo?

....did they bother to turn it on btw? i've mine jailbroken and cba to undo it for them to fix a power button

just took the phone, they check the serial number against their database to see what warranty it has left, they swap over the handset for a new one and put your sim card in it and authorize it there and then so you can make calls but you need to restore it when you get home so just makesure you make a back up of it on iTunes before you go, couldn't fault the service to be honest.

Anyone know of any decent car mounts?

iphone car mounts

I recently bought two of these and they have been great so far. You can mount your iphone landscape or portrait which is good for SatNav etc. Came with a car charger too.

I ordered them on the Fri am and they arrived Sat am :ninja:

iphone car mounts

I recently bought two of these and they have been great so far. You can mount your iphone landscape or portrait which is good for SatNav etc. Came with a car charger too.

That's canny that man. Thanks very much. Should be ok as well so my iTrip with the charger can go onto it too.

iphone car mounts

That's canny that man. Thanks very much. Should be ok as well so my iTrip with the charger can go onto it too.

Yeah, that's what I planned on doing before my radio stopped picking up stations recently :)

Dumb question (or it feels like one). I can't seem to get my head around jailbreaking because of the confusion around OS3.1. I dont care about unlocking because it's going to remain on O2. I understand I wont be able to unlock it in the future because I'm on 3.1 and unlocking has been disabled.

However, I'm running 3.1 and I only have windows PC's. Can I jailbreak yet and if so, wtf do I need to download/do? The iphone_dev site has confused the f**k out of me.

PWNAGE, RedSn0w, yellowSn0w wtf?

Just received a text from 02, welcoming me to their 'Platinum' account, in which I have my own personal accountant manager called Jenny, also comes with perks.

Anyone else?

Also Wtf.