iPhone

Andrew Flintoff

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know the best way to get one? Wanted one for the missus for Xmas but she's only 6 months into an 18 month contract with o2 and they won't let her upgrade :birthday:

I ordered one but I've cancelled it cos I've been told they're bringing out a new version just in to the new year with 32GB. I don't know what the camera is like on it tho, the current one is only 2MP. so It'd be no good if thats a issue for her. Best off waiting til her contract runs out imo. get her a iTouch instead to tie her over.

Edited by soccermom

if not get an iPod Touch, its packed with very similar features just without the ability to access data via the mobile connection.

if not get an iPod Touch, its packed with very similar features just without the ability to access data via the mobile connection.

...and GPS, Bluetooth and 2MP camera.

:birthday:

A freeware application for the iPod Touch can turn the music player into a virtual mobile phone.

Truphone uses wi-fi technology in an iPod Touch to allow users to make calls to other iPod Touch owners and Google Talk's messaging service users.

The software is a spin-off from technology Truphone developed for smartphones and iPhones.

The developers plan to have the ability to make calls to and from landlines in place very soon.

Truphone is the latest firm to offer voice over internet protocol (VoIP), alongside Unlicensed Mobile Access and proprietary protocols such as Skype.

Geraldine Wilson - Truphone's CEO - said the firm had ambitions to become a global internet player.

"There are a slew of new features we're rolling out for the iPod Touch that will let users call landlines, Skype users or send instant messages. We're talking weeks, not months, before these go live."

Although Truphone technology can, in theory, work on any mobile device, the firm is concentrating on devices that have an application store.

"We've decided to focus on devices that are wi-fi enabled and have an apps-store. For the consumer, there has to be an easy way of downloading an application."

"Our focus on the consumer side - at least in the short term - is finding devices that fit that category," said Ms Wilson.

Wi-fi go bye bye

The only catch is that for a wi-fi connection to work, users need to be within range of a wi-fi network.

Truphone founder - James Tagg - said that the technology also worked on other mobile devices, albeit in a slightly different way.

"If you were using Truphone on a Blackberry, it will use cellular technology to log into the Truphone's website."

"From here you can make an international call, call a user on VoIP, or send an instant message."

"Because the first leg of the call - from the user to our server - is charged at local rate, you're talking a bill of pennies, rather than pounds, to call, say the United States."

The company said Google's Android operating system would be the next platform for which it will develop the Truphone applications.

I really couldn't live without mine, I have a 16 GB older one, but with the new software on it I really can't see that much of a difference between it and the 3G. Basically if you're one of those people that uses your ipod all the time, on the move, in the car (itrip), at the gym etc. it's the perfect accompaniment as it's decent phone too. I find the texting easier on it than I did on my old phone which was an LG viewty which was awfully problematic when sending messages or calling someone.

Well I went for the iPod Touch instead after advice from a mate who has one.

He informed me that although its a great peice of kit, the camera is tosh, and sadly this is something the missus relies a lot on, she takes pictures of allsorts on her SE with a 5mp camera - I've had a bash of the touch and it's feckin great like. Any application recommendations? I've put last.fm and facebook on...

Can these easily be unlocked so they can be used on other networks? Tempted to get one myself but I'm five months into an 18 month contract with Vodafone. Not overly impressed with my LG Viewty.

Can these easily be unlocked so they can be used on other networks? Tempted to get one myself but I'm five months into an 18 month contract with Vodafone. Not overly impressed with my LG Viewty.

no since they don't have a removable bit to get to the sim it comes just implanted in the phone (I think)

no since they don't have a removable bit to get to the sim it comes just implanted in the phone (I think)

Nah there's a bit you remove to put the SIM in.

Some good aps on the Iphone like. Ive got the 3G8MB one. I used stuff like twitterific, lightsaber (erm..), a conversion one and a cracking little free game called Trace

Games i'm completely addicted to on the iPhone/Touch.

Crash Bandicoot Nitro Cart, Texas Hold em, Backgammon, Aurora Feint (genius game) and R Thunder.

Aye, Texas Hold em is canny good, also quite like EA's Soduku

Crash Bandicoot Nitro Cart, Texas Hold em, Backgammon, Aurora Feint (genius game) and R Thunder.

loved the crash racing games on the playstation so will definately have to get that when my touch arrives (ordered a 16gb one this weekend)

how is the AI on the texas hold em game? I've have poker games on phones and stuff before where it has just been awful and really predictable

loved the crash racing games on the playstation so will definately have to get that when my touch arrives (ordered a 16gb one this weekend)

how is the AI on the texas hold em game? I've have poker games on phones and stuff before where it has just been awful and really predictable

Crash is stupidly addictive and utilises the sensor control really well.

There are a few texas games i think. The one i have is the popular one in the app store, the AI is good (although not the greatest expert), each player is based on a real player's character with more complicated/aggressive betting strategies the higher the stakes. The graphics are great, Portrait gives you face to face with each player, landscape gives above table, all hands view.