Barry Ferguson on Kinnear's wishlist

Sonatine

CASH AND BARRY FOR KINNEAR?

Posted 03/01/09 11:42

Newcastle boss Joe Kinnear has confirmed Scotland and Rangers midfielder Barry Ferguson is one of the men on his transfer window wishlist.

The Magpies have made an inquiry about the 30-year-old, who underwent ankle surgery last year, as Kinnear attempts to bolster his depleted squad for a Barclays Premier League survival fight.

Kinnear, who admits he may have to sell before he can buy, said: "I have enquired about Ferguson, but we will wait and see what the outcome of that is.

"We are finding it difficult to bring certain players from clubs. Our bids haven't been accepted so far.

"The problem is two or three clubs are in for the same players. At the moment, there could be teams bidding more than us.

"It would help if I could move some of the players here and get the finances in that way. But we have had no bids for them."

Newcastle have also been linked with Ferguson's team-mate at Ibrox, Algerian defender Madjid Bougherra.

Kinnear admitted on Friday he is targeting at least five additions this month, perhaps some of them on loan, to cover the deficiencies of a squad which prepared for today's FA Cup third-round trip to Hull with 10 injuries, six of them long-term.

However, he did so having to fend off reports that unsettled goalkeeper Shay Given may be sold after growing frustrated with the club's plight following more than 11 years on Tyneside.

In addition, skipper Michael Owen has insisted he will not make a decision on his future until the end of the season, while Nicky Butt, Shola Ameobi and Steve Harper are still haggling over terms.

Kinnear said: "The January transfer window is hardly ideal.

"We have a lot of players missing at the moment who are out for six weeks or more.

"That means it's tough. If we pick up more injuries, we are in trouble for West Ham next week.

"We really need to get some bodies in. We need versatile players in who can play in a number of positions.

"We have got injuries all over the pitch. But we have to grin and bare it."

He's hardly been setting the SPL alight since he went back there, and was pretty rubbish at Blackburn iirc :icon_lol:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Newcastle are trying to sign Rangers duo Barry Ferguson and Madjid Bougherra in a double deal, skysports.com understands.

Magpies chief Joe Kinnear is looking to bring a number of new faces into the club during the winter transfer window.

The Rangers duo are very high on Kinnear's wanted list and talks began earlier this week.

Both midfielder Ferguson and defender Bougherra have Premier League experience with Blackburn and Charlton, respectively, and Kinnear sees the duo as ideal signings.

Newcastle are looking to take advantage of Rangers' current financial situation and swoop for the duo.

was pretty rubbish at Blackburn iirc :icon_lol:

He was out for a long time after injuring himself against us iirc.

Still, at 30 he's hardly what you'd call potential and I'd say he won't come cheap.

Bloody hell - They are both mediocre and ferguson never settled at blackburn - missed Glasgow too much - and the other bloke is a journeyman at best

Like it or not that's our level at the minute

just fucking shoot me now

two shite spl/former championship players

one of which couldn't make it at blackburn

i'm totally fed up with this ballocks, crying out for a decent centre midfielder for years

we sign Barry Ferguson

You have to wonder who will post on N.O. when the "glory days" come back, those that don't remember NUFC pre-Keegan and Hall don't realise how bad it can get with the "correct" mismanagement.

I certainly can't see Baggio being around then.

I don't see why we don't go for Bullard.

He's proven in the Premier League and surely he would be cheap enough at £2-3m?

More than that surely.

Nah it will be about that.

They have pretty much announced he is for sale and I can imagine they need the money.

On the positive side why on earth would he want to come here? He is treated like a god in Glasgow (half of it anyway). He wins things every year has more than enough money will be on the coaching staff as soon as he stops playing. Plus he knows he is slowing down why step up to a faster league which will make him look ordinary?

It does however show how shit a manager Kinnear is though unfortunately.

Too expensive

No sell on value

Unsuccessful in the Premier League last time

But still better than the likes of Nicky Butt.

Too expensive

No sell on value

You make it sound like Ashley's running Newcastle as a business and not a football club. Umm...

This is a victory for everyone who wanted the manager to have the final say on players.

Go Joe!

Almost as awesome as the 6 mil spent on Xisco and the effort to piss off the entire first team squad by offering them at the deadline by the super scouting crew and friends. Well worth the hassle driving out the guy who bought Guthrie and Bassong in.

This is a victory for everyone who wanted the manager to have the final say on players.

Go Joe!

Who says Kinnear has the final say anyway? And aren't you behind Kinnear as Ashley's appointment who is "much better" than Keegan in every way? :)

But your absolutely right Keegan would be infinitely better to have as final say... er.. sayer than Kinnear, Wise, Lambrusco or Ashley's cleaner Doris.... shame no one at the club listened eh? :(

Too expensive

No sell on value

what a very depressing but accurate assessment of our current predicament.

we're only going to sign players that even a couple of years ago we'd have turned our noses up at. and yet they will improve what is a pretty piss poor newcastle team

Too expensive

No sell on value

we're only going to sign players that even a couple of years ago we'd have turned our noses up at. and yet they will improve what is a pretty piss poor newcastle team

Would we have turned our noses up at Jonas and Colo a few years back?

Go Joe!

fuck off you dreary cunt

Couldn't have put it better. Baggio I've told you once before, if you want to play the contrarian you need to have something about you. Thick boring arseholes like you can't pull it off.

Too expensive

No sell on value

Would we have turned our noses up at Jonas and Colo a few years back?

Maybe, what knowledge? Hindsight!

Consider Xisco and Gonzales, expensive and low in the pecking order, and the latter one on the injured list; never mind we almost got it 50% right. And of course Not allowing for the sale of Milner.

All of the comings and goings are still the final say of one man, the man with the purse strings, and if he does'nt fancy it; then I wonder?

Guest Stevie
He'll do

No he won't, he's absolutely wank, the only SPL player I'd seriously think could improve us would be Pedro Mendes. Barry fuckin Ferguson I nearly choked on my cornflakes when I read it, unbelievable doesn't cover it. The nicest thing I can say about him is he's a very very very poormans Scott Parker, and Parker wasn't good enough. He's even slower than him. We have officially reached rock bottom. As for Boruc, the latest in the world class keepers long list of keeping heroics....

he couldn't wipe Harper's arse never mind Given's and Bougherra a Charlton reject, I'm pulling my hair out here.