Lost

Sir Bob Almighty!

Having read the Guardian site it seems that Lost really is a bit shit, with a cop out ending. Glad I trusted my instincts and gave up when I did - they should have left it as remake of Forbidden Planet, which it was in the first series.

This seems to be a problem with many programs. Take Life on Mars for instance. After a great initial series the kerching sets in and they make a pointless follow up series, where I promptly lose interest. Booo.

Lost isn't for people who need answers to every question that they face in life, on a daily basis.

I'm afraid Renton, that sounds just like you.

Lost isn't for people who like a plot tbh.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TBF, the polar bears were explained rather logically as a scientific experiment from the Initiative originally behind the Hatch. I'm not sure how "polars bears on a tropical island" ranks as more unbelieveable than "giant monster of smoke" for some people. The show was pretty batshit from the start.

Gutted its over. :D

Thoroughly enjoyed the penultimate episode and had extremely watery eyes through all the reunion moments, particularly Sun and Jin.

Of course it was always going to leave lots of questions and thats what happens when you get a show that is initially written for a couple of seasons and then becomes so popular that it has to be padded out.

Rather than try to over analyse, I decided during this season just to enjoy the ride. It has given me five years of viewing pleasure and basically you cant ask too much more of a light entertainment program. The only other show that I would say has given me so much viewing enjoyment was the West Wing.

It was always going to be hard to draw the thing to a close and having them all get back together at the end was nice.

Biggest unanswered question for me......

How on earth could Hugo spend 5 years on an island with only fish and fruit to eat, spend his whole time walking everywhere and still be a fat bastard.

Farewell Lost, I'll miss you.

Having read the Guardian site it seems that Lost really is a bit shit, with a cop out ending. Glad I trusted my instincts and gave up when I did - they should have left it as remake of Forbidden Planet, which it was in the first series.

This seems to be a problem with many programs. Take Life on Mars for instance. After a great initial series the kerching sets in and they make a pointless follow up series, where I promptly lose interest. Booo.

Can't see how this applys to Lost in paticular, conisdering it's reocurring, and I've never seen a spin-off.

I agree about Life on Mars, I thought it was a brilliant series, and never took to it's spin-off Ashes to Ashes.

What are your issues with this non-existent plot, and when did you throw in the towel regarding Lost?

Edited by Acid

Can't see how this applys to Lost in paticular, conisdering it's reocurring, and I've never seen a spin-off.

I agree about Life on Mars, I thought it was a brilliant series, and never took to it's spin-off Ashes to Ashes.

What are your issues with this non-existent plot, and when did you throw in the towel regarding Lost?

I stopped aound the series 2/3 border I think, when it became apparent to me there was not going to be a coherent explanation regarding the strange goings on on the island. Also I think there was dispute between Virgin and Sky 1 at the time which didn't help. I just like things to make sense, if you're not too bothered about strong plot lines, fair enough.

I can't be arsed about most American dramas after series 1 nowadays if I'm honest. Take True Blood. Promising first series, turned to shit in the second, imo, obviously.

I stopped aound the series 2/3 border I think, when it became apparent to me there was not going to be a coherent explanation regarding the strange goings on on the island. Also I think there was dispute between Virgin and Sky 1 at the time which didn't help. I just like things to make sense, if you're not too bothered about strong plot lines, fair enough.

I can't be arsed about most American dramas after series 1 nowadays if I'm honest. Take True Blood. Promising first series, turned to shit in the second, imo, obviously.

You've got to be loyal to Lost to be satisfied, seriously it almost angers me when I hear some idiotic viewers whinging about being confused over a show that is much more intelligent than they're and regard that as a reason to fuck it over because the answers aren't being handed on a plate for them. Which frankly would make it boring, but the ending suprised me in a way considering I was expecting something alot less simple, but that's me being too profound and speculating, which I personally enjoyed doing.

Fortunately that isn't the case with you Renton. It's a shame you finished it at Season 3, which I regarded as the best season of the show, as it focuses more on the background of 'The Others' and a slight insight of The Dharma Inititave and its origins. Season 6 pretty much delivered 'most' of the answers, especially the strange going ons, although I have to admit the pace was alot faster than previous seasons, and I saw this more a negative than a positive.

On American series in general, I also agree, this applied to me when I gave up watching Fringe after the first season simply because it had little direction and became tedious to watch.

EDIT: To conclude, I hope you give it another chance and if you do, and your opinion doesn't change then fair enough.

Edited by Acid

You've got to be loyal to Lost to be satisfied, seriously it almost angers me when I hear some idiotic viewers whinging about being confused over a show that is much more intelligent than they're and regard that as a reason to fuck it over because the answers aren't being handed on a plate for them. Which frankly would make it boring, but the ending suprised me in a way considering I was expecting something alot less simple, but that's me being too profound and speculating, which I personally enjoyed doing.

Fortunately that isn't the case with you Renton. It's a shame you finished it at Season 3, which I regarded as the best season of the show, as it focuses more on the background of 'The Others' and a slight insight of The Dharma Inititave and its origins. Season 6 pretty much delivered 'most' of the answers, especially the strange going ons, although I have to admit the pace was alot faster than previous seasons, and I saw this more a negative than a positive.

On American series in general, I also agree, this applied to me when I gave up watching Fringe after the first season simply because it had little direction and became tedious to watch.

EDIT: To conclude, I hope you give it another chance and if you do, and your opinion doesn't change then fair enough.

So by not being able to tie up the loose ends one has unraveled over the past 5 seasons with competent writing and continuity, I'm a dummy because I didn't like the ending? That's a new one on me...

I wasn't one of those people who needed every single answer, but the answers I did want I at least wanted to make sense. And it would have been nice to work in the answers instead of having a character just do an exposition piece.

Oh and Rents, take it for what it's worth, but while the writers do cover Dharma and The Others, they're almost nearly 100% inconsequential to anything outside the season they're portrayed in.

SPOILER-

I mean really? The church was some place they invented to go when they all died? WTF? At what other time in the show did you get the impression from like any character that shit could happen?

Also, what was the point of any of the alternate reality crap from this season? From where I was sitting, the alternate reality they've been dicking around in all season isn't at all related to the church at the end, so what was the point of any of that? Fun way to eat up a season of network TV money? They really wanted to put Sawyer behind a cop's desk?

I don't know... I hated the Sopranos ending too. It didn't fit the theme of the show at all. I think anybody honest with them self had to hate that ending as well because it was such a cop-out- just like LOST's ending was tonight. People tried to say the Soprano's ending was this nearly artistic level device, but that show had never used any kind of artistic devices before; it wasn't like David Lynch turned up to direct the last episdoe, FFS. The writers didn't know how to end it, so they faded to black hoping the fanboys would talk themselves into it being some brilliant move. It worked that time (for the most part), and it'll probably work this time for LOST.

So by not being able to tie up the loose ends one has unraveled over the past 5 seasons with competent writing and continuity, I'm a dummy because I didn't like the ending? That's a new one on me...

I wasn't one of those people who needed every single answer, but the answers I did want I at least wanted to make sense. And it would have been nice to work in the answers instead of having a character just do an exposition piece.

Oh and Rents, take it for what it's worth, but while the writers do cover Dharma and The Others, they're almost nearly 100% inconsequential to anything outside the season they're portrayed in.

SPOILER-

I mean really? The church was some place they invented to go when they all died? WTF? At what other time in the show did you get the impression from like any character that shit could happen?

Also, what was the point of any of the alternate reality crap from this season? From where I was sitting, the alternate reality they've been dicking around in all season isn't at all related to the church at the end, so what was the point of any of that? Fun way to eat up a season of network TV money? They really wanted to put Sawyer behind a cop's desk?

I don't know... I hated the Sopranos ending too. It didn't fit the theme of the show at all. I think anybody honest with them self had to hate that ending as well because it was such a cop-out- just like LOST's ending was tonight. People tried to say the Soprano's ending was this nearly artistic level device, but that show had never used any kind of artistic devices before; it wasn't like David Lynch turned up to direct the last episdoe, FFS. The writers didn't know how to end it, so they faded to black hoping the fanboys would talk themselves into it being some brilliant move. It worked that time (for the most part), and it'll probably work this time for LOST.

Right with you there !!! And yes there were times during the whole shebang I thought I've had enough of this shit but persevered ...thinking somewhere along the line I will get "some" answers , maybe not all but enough for me to fill in the blanks . Unfortunately this ending left way too many blanks for me and not because I am a halfwit either before the dicks all weigh in !! The church scenario became the Dallas Bobby Ewing shower scene for me ......... :D

oh and by the way just a few unanswered , explain the numbers, the significance of the flash-sideways, Walt and Michael's rolls in the story as Walt was originally the special child that everyone wanted, , the origin of "the light", where Richard was in the last scene, what the smoke monster was, why the sonic fences were effective... and many other questions, please send them all in a 100 page dossier to me. Cheers.

Edited by Radgina

My post doesn't say you're a dummy if you don't like the ending, it was obvious that whatever they concluded the series with some people would still hate it, and criticise it to pieces. Specifiy which loose ends, so I can actually comment. I'm basically calling certain fans who can't comprehend that this is how the shows wants you to react, it wants you questioning its every scene, and then it ends with something so simple and obvious, you then begin to question the writers motives. Some people take it as it is, I like to question it, create complex theories, but like I said I overthink when watching Lost.

I wasn't one of those people who needed every single answer, but the answers I did want I at least wanted to make sense. And it would have been nice to work in the answers instead of having a character just do an exposition piece. I agree with the exposition point, and that being the case with Jacob and Christian Shepard at the end.

SPOILER-

I mean really? The church was some place they invented to go when they all died? WTF? At what other time in the show did you get the impression from like any character that shit could happen? As a Lost fan, its a well-known theory that they've been dead all along, and in this case in purgatory. HF posted what I'm about to say(http://www.salon.com/entertainment/tv/lost/index.html?story=/ent/tv/heather_havrilesky/2010/05/24/lost_finale_unintended_moral), its all based on fate. Remember Jack (bald) (Man of Science) he was originally obsessed with leaving the island as opposed to Locke (Man of Faith) who adamantly wanted/needed them to stay, this reversed in the final season, where as Jack has no interest in leaving, Locke/MiB was not going to let anyone stop him from leaving.

------

(Never said it was a brilliant ending, but satisfying, like I said I was suprised at how simple it ended, I was expecting something bizzare and an out of the blue moment that would keep me speculating for years. The church place was the venue in which C.Shepard was to be buried, seemed random at the time I have to admit.

Edited by Acid

:D Fanboy. "You've got to be loyal to Lost.........the show is much more intelligent than you." Get a grip man. It was a half decent show that COMPLETELY lost its way several seasons ago, and relied on witless mongs buying into the "mythology" to actually have anyone still watching it come the final episode. The writers fucked it right up, and were just making it up as they went along.

I was "loyal" until the fucking Spanish period drama episode with Richard Alpert flying round Tenerife on a fucking horse. Load of shit, and I stopped watching it then, and haven't missed the weekly serving of horseplop since.

SPOILER-

Right with you there !!! And yes there were times during the whole shebang I thought I've had enough of this shit but persevered ...thinking somewhere along the line I will get "some" answers , maybe not all but enough for me to fill in the blanks . Unfortunately this ending left way too many blanks for me and not because I am a halfwit either before the dicks all weigh in !! The church scenario became the Dallas Bobby Ewing shower scene for me ......... :icon_lol:

oh and by the way just a few unanswered , explain the numbers, the significance of the flash-sideways, Walt and Michael's rolls in the story as Walt was originally the special child that everyone wanted, , the origin of "the light", where Richard was in the last scene, what the smoke monster was, why the sonic fences were effective... and many other questions, please send them all in a 100 page dossier to me. Cheers.

oh and by the way just a few unanswered, explain where Vincent shits, where he pisses, and what he rubs his shitty arse against, because there's no carpet. :D

The numbers were referenced to certain characters, and related to there lives. Meaning and influence remains unresolved.

The Flash-sideways:The flash-sideways timeline was a purgatorial version of events that appeared to be a version of the 2004 timeline in which the Island is submerged in the ocean and Oceanic Flight 815 never crashed there. It was conjectured that this timeline exists as a direct result of the reset, as hypothesized by Daniel Faraday. This version of events did not interfere with the original timeline (though the original timeline interfered with it) and differed in many ways differences. The flash-sideways timeline and the original timeline shared many, but not all events in common. Eventually, it is revealed that after Jack, Locke, Kate, Sawyer, Juliet, Hurley, Ben, Claire, Charlie, Boone, Shannon, Sun, Jin, Sayid, Desmond, Rose, Bernard and Penny die, they come together to create a world where they can reunite, as their meetings after the crash of Flight 815 were the most important of their lives, and the lessons they learnt there impacted their experiences in the Flash-Sideways, such as Jack having a son, and James Ford being a detective. Once they reunite, they, as Christian Shephard describes it, "move on". Couldn't of put it better myself (Lostpedia), in what Mighty Hog also referenced.

Walt and Micheal's roles and his special powers: I don't know this, I'm led to believe that they couldn't portray Walt as an ongoing character because he'd significantly age, thats just based on the principle which TMG also stated about Hurley and his inability to lose weight in 101 days, which is similair to Walt and the ageing issue. On his special powers and such, I'm not sure that does stay unresolved.

Actually I cba, whatever questions you have go on Lostpedia, and they should answer them or not.

:D Fanboy. "You've got to be loyal to Lost.........the show is much more intelligent than you." Get a grip man. It was a half decent show that COMPLETELY lost its way several seasons ago, and relied on witless mongs buying into the "mythology" to actually have anyone still watching it come the final episode. The writers fucked it right up, and were just making it up as they went along.

I was "loyal" until the fucking Spanish period drama episode with Richard Alpert flying round Tenerife on a fucking horse. Load of shit, and I stopped watching it then, and haven't missed the weekly serving of horseplop since.

:icon_lol:

But then you'd be complaining about why he doesn't age? Etc... That episode specifically answered those questions, which alot of people were curious about, it can't work both ways. If you think that's significantly unbelieveable then why didn't you fuck it off when a wheel could move an island or the time-travel was implemented?

Edited by Acid

Acid clearly post over on NO in the Lost thread, the fuckas brainwashed and would suck John locke off in the drop of a hat.

I've never posted on that site, I'm just here to discuss a show that I thoroughly enjoyed watching with other members. Your whole 'I couldn't give a fuck/Radgie/Sex-pest' persona is frankly boring, and tedious.

Awaits the horde.

Acid clearly post over on NO in the Lost thread, the fuckas brainwashed and would suck John locke off in the drop of a hat.

I've never posted on that site, I'm just here to discuss a show that I thoroughly enjoyed watching with other members. Your whole 'I couldn't give a fuck/Radgie/Sex-pest' persona is frankly boring, and tedious.

Awaits the horde.

Judging by your response to my post, which clearly rattled you, and this fucking tripe you're pedalling 'You've got to be loyal to Lost to be satisfied' I reckon you more than enjoyed it. :D

P.S I am a radgie/sex pest, it's not just my persona on here.

Edited by Wacky Jnr

What happened to the Korean bird? She was a bit of alright.

Anyhow, it was the whole ad libbed nature of the plots and the constant introduction of characters and monsters really put me off. I like some abiguity and confusion, like 12 Monkeys and Brazil, but Lost was just a bunch of arty bollocks that made no sense, and let fanboys proclaim themselves as some sort of intellectual powerhouse for watching every episode.

Awaits the horde.

Judging by your response to my post, which clearly rattled you, and this fucking tripe you're pedalling 'You've got to be loyal to Lost to be satisfied' I reckon you more than enjoyed it. :D

P.S I am a radgie/sex pest, it's not just my persona on here.

Just making perceptions, like you have and we were evidently both wrong. You can empahsise one quote all you like but I've perceived the show different to most people on this board, its not dribble its just people being pedantic on certain issues, if they're all that intrigued in wanting certain answers they should read up on them, because they're answers that I've missed when watching, and in particular Lostpedia explains them and how they were implemented.

Apologies about the angst aswell, trying to post on here and watch the ever so dependable England clinch onto your bet win is hardly comforting. :security:

Edited by Acid

The thing is that Lost was right on the edge of the curve with its mix of mythology and time travel and the redemtive cycle...It's really hard to grind that all down into a cumulative answers structure and deliver what people want. Not what they are even aware they want, but the standardisation of opionions and perceived needs they are informed and coerced into wanting as endgames or closure. You don't really know what you want anyway.

:D

Lost was just a mechanism to squeeze as many $$$ as possible from a piss weak concept. You of all people should wake up to this.

Yes that as well. :icon_lol:

SPOILER-

Right with you there !!! And yes there were times during the whole shebang I thought I've had enough of this shit but persevered ...thinking somewhere along the line I will get "some" answers , maybe not all but enough for me to fill in the blanks . Unfortunately this ending left way too many blanks for me and not because I am a halfwit either before the dicks all weigh in !! The church scenario became the Dallas Bobby Ewing shower scene for me ......... :icon_lol:

As a Lost fan, its a well-known theory that they've been dead all along, and in this case in purgatory. HF posted what I'm about to say(http://www.salon.com/entertainment/tv/lost/index.html?story=/ent/tv/heather_havrilesky/2010/05/24/lost_finale_unintended_moral), its all based on fate. Remember Jack (bald) (Man of Science) he was originally obsessed with leaving the island as opposed to Locke (Man of Faith) who adamantly wanted/needed them to stay, this reversed in the final season, where as Jack has no interest in leaving, Locke/MiB was not going to let anyone stop him from leaving.

oh and by the way just a few unanswered, explain where Vincent shits, where he pisses, and what he rubs his shitty arse against, because there's no carpet. :D

The numbers were referenced to certain characters, and related to there lives. Meaning and influence remains unresolved.

The Flash-sideways:The flash-sideways timeline was a purgatorial version of events that appeared to be a version of the 2004 timeline in which the Island is submerged in the ocean and Oceanic Flight 815 never crashed there. It was conjectured that this timeline exists as a direct result of the reset, as hypothesized by Daniel Faraday. This version of events did not interfere with the original timeline (though the original timeline interfered with it) and differed in many ways differences. The flash-sideways timeline and the original timeline shared many, but not all events in common. Eventually, it is revealed that after Jack, Locke, Kate, Sawyer, Juliet, Hurley, Ben, Claire, Charlie, Boone, Shannon, Sun, Jin, Sayid, Desmond, Rose, Bernard and Penny die, they come together to create a world where they can reunite, as their meetings after the crash of Flight 815 were the most important of their lives, and the lessons they learnt there impacted their experiences in the Flash-Sideways, such as Jack having a son, and James Ford being a detective. Once they reunite, they, as Christian Shephard describes it, "move on". Couldn't of put it better myself (Lostpedia), in what Mighty Hog also referenced.

Walt and Micheal's roles and his special powers: I don't know this, I'm led to believe that they couldn't portray Walt as an ongoing character because he'd significantly age, thats just based on the principle which TMG also stated about Hurley and his inability to lose weight in 101 days, which is similair to Walt and the ageing issue. On his special powers and such, I'm not sure that does stay unresolved.

Actually I cba, whatever questions you have go on Lostpedia, and they should answer them or not.

As a LOST fan, I'd assume you'd know that the purgatory theory has been debunked by JJ and the show's producers on multiple occasions.

(http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Purgatory_%28debunked_theory%29)

* The purgatory theory was debunked by J.J. Abrams in a Zap2it interview published in March 14, 2005, "though he claimed to like the idea."

* The theory was again expressly debunked by executive producer Damon Lindelof in a New York Times interview published on May 25, 2006. Noting the fact that the finale of Season 2 shows the outside world in the present (as opposed to a flashback) for the first time, Lindelof added: "People who believe that they're in purgatory or that they're subjects of an experiment are going to start reassessing those theories based on the fact that we are literally showing you the outside world."

* This theory was rejected again by Damon Lindelof on the October 6, 2006 podcast.

* Following the airing of "D.O.C." and Naomi's revelation that the wreckage of Oceanic Flight 815 was allegedly found and there were no survivors, the "purgatory" theory was again debunked twice; first by Damon Lindelof in an interview with E! Online [1], stating that "If we did such a thing after repeatedly stating otherwise, we'd be tarred and feathered!"; and second, by Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse in the April 30, 2007 podcast, insisting out that "we were not lying, it's not purgatory" and listing several possible other explanations for Naomi's revelation.

* Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse again debunked this theory in a Lost recap special when they added that the Losties are not dead and "do exist somewhere in the space time continuum."

I'm not going to touch on every unanswered mystery or every crappily answered mystery; I'm just going to make this point: when Shyamalan wrote and directed The Sixth Sense, he knew from the very beginning that Bruce Willis was dead. When Chuck Palahniuk wrote Fight Club, he knew that Tyler wasn't really real. You can tell because when you experience these works for a second or a third time, they hold up- they make sense. LOST doesn't.

There is no doubt in my mind that the LOST creators had absolutely no idea in the slightest where they were going with any of the ideas they were presenting the entire time. This is why things got so totally goofy and impossible the last two seasons. That's why I didn't enjoy it. It wasn't because it was over my head or too arty or whatever, it's because they painted themselves into corners and couldn't write their ways out of them in a sensible or remotely plausible way.

You watch stuff from season 2 on video or syndication or whatever, and it totally doesn't fit. Hell, at this point, you could basically watch seasons 1, 5, and 6 and as far as the series is really concerned, that's about all you'd need to see. The Others? Pointless. The Freighter people? Pointless. DHARMA and the hatches? Largely pointless. Red Herrings or abandoned plot line kids? You decide. I already have.

The smartest thing the producers of ABC's Lost did, other than generating such an interesting show and series pilot in the first place, was to decide, a few years ago, to end the series in May 2010. That simple yet bold decision allowed the writers to pace, to focus on what was important, to make the most meaningful use of the time they had left.

On the one hand, all that did was turn Lost from an ambitious weekly TV series into an even more ambitious mega-TV miniseries. On the other hand, it also turned the TV series into a metaphor for its central message, and for the journey of its Lost protagonist. For the show's writers, for us viewers, and for Jack Shephard, the lesson was the same: It's a temporary journey, so enjoy the ride — and embrace each other.

Instead of giving us one ending — if you haven't watched the finale yet, you should stop reading here — writer-producers Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse gave us two, one for each alternate storyline. This is where, if you weren't following the show, or even if you were, you could easily get lost with Lost. But basically, this past season had us watching two stories at once.

In one, our heroes were on the island, fighting to return home and also fighting the island's evil force, who had taken the shape of one of their own. In the other storyline, seemingly triggered by a nuclear event on the island, the ill-fated Oceanic passenger jet had never crashed on the island, and we saw what the passengers' lives would have been like without the crash, or the island. Except that their lives were different somehow, and so were the details.

Enough of that. You either buy into it or you don't. In the expanded 2 1/2-hour finale, all the people in that alternate existence eventually found one another, giving viewers the satisfaction of one mini-reunion after another. Off the island, without the island, these people touched each other — often literally — and their memories of the island came flooding back to them. So did a feeling of peace.

The last person it happened to was Jack, who got that rush of memory when he touched his father's coffin — the coffin he had transported back from Australia. Jack, played by Matthew Fox, opened the lid, and the coffin was empty. But suddenly, next to him, stood his father, played by John Terry, and the biggest question posed by Lost was answered.

And then we got those two endings, played out simultaneously.

One ending — the one back on the island, where Jack had restored the life force to the island but was losing his own — was purely visual. It echoed, in reverse, the powerful opening of the series, returning Jack to the bamboo field where he had first regained consciousness after the plane crash. Lost the series had begun with a close-up shot of Jack's eyeball opening. Its final image, last night, was of that same eye closing as Jack died, having accomplished his mission and found his purpose.

But the other ending of Lost was purely verbal, returning to one of the show's most resonant and recurrent themes — father-son issues. When Jack's dead dad emerged from that coffin, he explained that it wasn't an alternate timeline at all, but a timeless line, a limbo, a gathering place. And Jack's death in the "real" world, on the island, enabled the eventual happy reunion of everyone off the island.

Yes, it was a little Twilight Zone-y. And as series finales go, the ending of Lost was not as outrageous as that of St. Elsewhere, as defiantly open-ended as the one for The Sopranos, as aggressively complete as Six Feet Under's or as utterly perfect as Newhart's.

But its two endings, together, were very satisfying — and the final advice from Jack's dad to Jack should be remembered in the context of watching television, too:

"The most important part of your life was the time that you spent with these people," father tells son. "You needed all of them, and they needed you."

"For what?" Jack asked.

"To remember, and to let go," his father replied.

Exactly. Remember Lost, because its type is not returning to TV anytime soon, if at all. But also, as the father figure says, let go. Don't nitpick over the missing details, the forgotten Walts, the unexplained polar bears. Just say so long, and thanks for all the fish. Or maybe just thanks.

Its not a case of anyone being superior to anyone else, its just the way we are wired with different mindsets.

Some people need to know how a magic trick works, others just enjoy the trick.

Its a bit harsh that most of the criticism on here over the last day has come from people who didnt even stay til the end.

SPOILER-

As a Lost fan, its a well-known theory that they've been dead all along, and in this case in purgatory. HF posted what I'm about to say(http://www.salon.com/entertainment/tv/lost/index.html?story=/ent/tv/heather_havrilesky/2010/05/24/lost_finale_unintended_moral), its all based on fate. Remember Jack (bald) (Man of Science) he was originally obsessed with leaving the island as opposed to Locke (Man of Faith) who adamantly wanted/needed them to stay, this reversed in the final season, where as Jack has no interest in leaving, Locke/MiB was not going to let anyone stop him from leaving.

As a LOST fan, I'd assume you'd know that the purgatory theory has been debunked by JJ and the show's producers on multiple occasions.

(http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Purgatory_%28debunked_theory%29)

* The purgatory theory was debunked by J.J. Abrams in a Zap2it interview published in March 14, 2005, "though he claimed to like the idea."

* The theory was again expressly debunked by executive producer Damon Lindelof in a New York Times interview published on May 25, 2006. Noting the fact that the finale of Season 2 shows the outside world in the present (as opposed to a flashback) for the first time, Lindelof added: "People who believe that they're in purgatory or that they're subjects of an experiment are going to start reassessing those theories based on the fact that we are literally showing you the outside world."

* This theory was rejected again by Damon Lindelof on the October 6, 2006 podcast.

* Following the airing of "D.O.C." and Naomi's revelation that the wreckage of Oceanic Flight 815 was allegedly found and there were no survivors, the "purgatory" theory was again debunked twice; first by Damon Lindelof in an interview with E! Online [1], stating that "If we did such a thing after repeatedly stating otherwise, we'd be tarred and feathered!"; and second, by Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse in the April 30, 2007 podcast, insisting out that "we were not lying, it's not purgatory" and listing several possible other explanations for Naomi's revelation.

* Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse again debunked this theory in a Lost recap special when they added that the Losties are not dead and "do exist somewhere in the space time continuum."

I'm not going to touch on every unanswered mystery or every crappily answered mystery; I'm just going to make this point: when Shyamalan wrote and directed The Sixth Sense, he knew from the very beginning that Bruce Willis was dead. When Chuck Palahniuk wrote Fight Club, he knew that Tyler wasn't really real. You can tell because when you experience these works for a second or a third time, they hold up- they make sense. LOST doesn't.

There is no doubt in my mind that the LOST creators had absolutely no idea in the slightest where they were going with any of the ideas they were presenting the entire time. This is why things got so totally goofy and impossible the last two seasons. That's why I didn't enjoy it. It wasn't because it was over my head or too arty or whatever, it's because they painted themselves into corners and couldn't write their ways out of them in a sensible or remotely plausible way.

You watch stuff from season 2 on video or syndication or whatever, and it totally doesn't fit. Hell, at this point, you could basically watch seasons 1, 5, and 6 and as far as the series is really concerned, that's about all you'd need to see. The Others? Pointless. The Freighter people? Pointless. DHARMA and the hatches? Largely pointless. Red Herrings or abandoned plot line kids? You decide. I already have.

That stuff is fairly crucial with regards to the characters. I agree that they put too much mystery in for their own good and they're clearly better at that sort of stuff than advancing plot. The last 2 seasons have been objectively worse than what came before in terms of writing.

Edited by A NICE HAT