Steve Bruce ready to take over at Newcastle United

Asprilla

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/200...15875-21122041/

Steve Bruce is ready to answer an SOS from Newcastle and become their next boss if Mike Ashley goes for a replacement for Joe Kinnear who has had heart surgery.

Wigan chief Bruce has never made any secret of his desire to boss 'his' club and regrets turning them down when he was younger.

Bruce has taken Wigan to Premier League safety just over a year after joining from Birmingham City - but he has private fears about their future after selling some stars and facing the loss of more in the summer.

Chairman Dave Whelan paid a record fee to take Bruce from Birmingham, but the veteran supremo keeps dropping hints he may be willing to sell the club.

The Toon job has always been Bruce's dream despite his potential claims to succeed Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United.

Ashley faces a major decision with caretakers Chris Hughton and Colin Calderwood thrown into a relegation dogfight by Joe Kinnear's triple heart by-pass operation. Terry Venables and Bryan Robson have been considered as short-term options.

But Bruce would be a winner with the fans and those close to him guarantee that he would take on the task at the Toon this time around.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't pretend that I like him but where we are right now he's probably the man for the job, I've been opposed to him in the past but I think we have sunk to a level where he probably fits the bill.

I think it sounds like a reasonable idea on paper but he could turn out like Allardyce (who seemed like the man for the job then as well). Better than lots of the alternatives I suppose but it's working under Wise which will create problems whoever we get in. If we bother getting anyone new in, that is.

Edited by alex

I was just having a Wiki and...

Other activities

In addition to an autobiography, "Heading for Victory", Bruce has published three novels, "Sweeper!", "Defender!" and "Striker!", featuring the exploits of fictional footballer manager Steve Barnes. "Sweeper!" was described as "surprisingly punchy and pacey, although the plot is essentially ludicrous"

:lol:

I think it sounds like a reasonable idea on paper but he could turn out like Allardyce (who seemed like the man for the job then as well). Better than lots of the alternatives I suppose but it's working under Wise which will create problems whoever we get in. If we bother getting anyone new in, that is.

I think that sounds more like it, we all know Wise runs the show so why bother putting anyone in who may cause them problems? Let Hughton be the front man and Wise make the decisions.

*thats not me advoctaing this by the way, just thinking as Llambhuna will.

Sadly there is only one way of finding out, considering his Premier League experience he is probably a better bet than risking appointing a continental coach with no experience of English football.

That's it in a nutshell. Also, Bruce's stock as a manager is probably higher than it's ever been. Would he risk it? I know the story sounds like a 'come and get me' job, but I'd be very surprised if he took it. This job's destroyed a few managers down the years, and with Wise in place it's even more of a challenge than it used to be.

They might as well just give it to Poyet for me. I can't stand the cunt, and I don't envisage anything better than us treading water at best for the foreseeable future, but I can't see anything but problems for any manager that isn't comfortable playing second fiddle to Wise. I can't see Steve Bruce having that, and if he or any other manager came in with the idea that they might be able to gain the upper hand when it comes to players in/out I think they'd soon find they were wrong.

One of the many wonderful things about living in New Zealand is that I'd be spared the nauseating "coming home" interviews with Bruce, as he talks about there only being one club in the world he'd have left Wigan for *

* with his fingers and toes crossed, obviously

Bruce has taken Wigan to Premier League safety just over a year after joining from Birmingham City - but he has private fears about their future after selling some stars and facing the loss of more in the summer.

Don't worry Steve, we're a buying club. :lol:

If we're persisting with our system, we must get a continental coach in. Not some plastic-Geordie to (try and) appease the fans and not some mate of the owner / Chairman / DoF.

If we're persisting with our system, we must get a continental coach in. Not some plastic-Geordie to (try and) appease the fans and not some mate of the owner / Chairman / DoF.

Yeah your right :lol: unfortuantly have to agree :lol:

Lol.

Lol.

The only one we have any chance of getting is that bloke who has just been sacked from Athletico.

Lol.

The only one we have any chance of getting is that bloke who has just been sacked from Athletico.

He is alright too.