How far away from home do you work?

Holden McGroin

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I'm working from home, I roll out of bed and stagger into the next room which is my office :D

If I'm in the proper office - it's about an 3/4 hr door to door. I walk to the train station - train - walk to office. 30mins in the car.

274 miles from the office which I visit usually once a month, usually 20 minutes on the bus, 2 hours 50 on the train 12 miniute walk from Kings Cwoss and I'm there, my home office, it takes me about 7 seconds to get there and it's about 15 feet away.

7 miles for me. As long as I leave before 4pm coming home its only about 15/20minutes. Most of the time after that I'm looking the best part of an hour at least. :D Same applies in the morning if I'm starting for any time after half 8.

I get the 8.25/8.30am bus from Chillingham Road to town for a 9.00am start at work.

Finish at 5.00pm and the metro usually gets me home for about 5.30pm. Can't be arsed with the bus on the way home as the traffic is usually a pain.

5 minute walk to South shields Metro station

25 minute metro to Monument

5 minute walk to St James'

Best location I've ever worked for the commute. Been in offices at Kenton Bar, Washington, Longbenton and Cobalt park which all added a couple of hours to my day.

Depends. Local office is about 30mins in, 45 mins home depending what time I want to get in. Warrington office takes me 3hrs down and 2 1/2 hours back. Glasgow office about the same.

I've worked from home since early 2004 - freelance for a couple of years, full-time since then (with a company that believes in telecommuting). Not sure I could ever become part of an office environment again, which will likely prove a problem at some point...

I've worked from home since early 2004 - freelance for a couple of years, full-time since then (with a company that believes in telecommuting). Not sure I could ever become part of an office environment again, which will likely prove a problem at some point...

Do you not miss the social side of office work though. I think i'd get cabin fever working from home every day.

Do you not miss the social side of office work though. I think i'd get cabin fever working from home every day.

Most people in offices are cunts, regardless how high up the food chain you are. You have women who genuinely have nothing to say, yet talk all day about such interesting things as weight watchers points, you have backstabbing, I would say 60% of people in offices are arseholes, who are happy being a tiny cog in a big wheel, and will step all over other people to get that tiny bit further up their superiors arse.

Sometimes. There's only a couple of people at my company I get on with particularly well, though (as evidenced by trips to the Christmas party every year), and I see them plenty outside of work. As for the day-to-day stuff, you just have to make sure you create a life outside the house - as long as you're the one doing the errands and you've got nights out in town, gigs etc. to look forward to, foregoing the daily commute isn't the worst thing in the world.

I doubt I could work from home. I'd end up getting distracted by going on msn and that.

Maybe that's the difference - my first company had an effective "10% personal Internet use only" rule (though god knows how they intended to enforce it), but I made it perfectly clear to them that I can't work effectively without MSN, chatrooms, this place etc. constantly in the background to distract me. They agreed and I made it work. A less considerate employer might let you go for that kind of thing. :D

Most people in offices are cunts, regardless how high up the food chain you are. You have women who genuinely have nothing to say, yet talk all day about such interesting things as weight watchers points, you have backstabbing, I would say 60% of people in offices are arseholes, who are happy being a tiny cog in a big wheel, and will step all over other people to get that tiny bit further up their superiors arse.

Have to agree with that. I worked at Longbenton for over three years and left there with only SMO and this Rasta who I would class as mates, the rest were a bunch of fucking robots.

May I add I'm a good mixer and people usually break their backs to join my company, as my craic is shit hot and I'm funny as fuck.