We won't be relegated darlings

Park Life

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Well I for one am definitely not convinced we'll stay up. From this point on its down to how well teams do to strengthen/keep their best players and the commitment of each teams players. QPR have shown they have the ability if you can get them going as a team, something 'Arry could well now be managing (plus they will spend). Wigan regularly manage to avoid the drop regardless of how little resources they have so they're far better equipped for this fight than some other teams.

I've been working on comparing the 08/09 season against this one based on actual results ie how everyone did in the same matches that have been played so far. its not good reading Im afraid.

Obviously its not an exact science, teams have come and gone since then so its been a case of replacing like for like each season ie 3rd relegated team replaced by Championship champions, bottom by 3rd placed promotee etc, year on year until we end up with the current league.

Attached is how the table would have looked back in 08/09 with the same teams and results.

Worryingly we are now 2 points, 1 place and -4 GD behind worse off than from the same games the year we went down.

I know I've generally been the voice of doom but even more worryingly this year I was optimistic!

I've been very gloomy this year but I think we will avoid the drop. The return of Cabaye, Taylor, Debuchy and others for Norwich will surely make us more solid, as long as we continue to attack well.

I'd prefer a better manager in charge but would prefer Pardew over a caretaker or stop gap (unless it was a Chelsea type stop gap!)

We can all see the problems. Most of us could see them before the season started and couldn't believe so little was done to sort it in the summer. Lots of us saw the problems even as we chased the top 4 exceeding expectations.

As disgusted as I have been by the failures to strengthen the squad though, I don't think we should be ratcheting up the criticism when there's a French international in the stand watching before he signs and the current window is only 3 days open.

I fear another let down overall, but am hopeful it isn't.

We won't be relegated. There are teams above and below who have worse squads and tougher fixtures. Reading, Southampton, Villa and West Ham will be in the shit so long as we get a bit of luck having our best players return and stay fit.

I'm not one to gloat but I always knew this season was going to be shite - not 2 points from relegation after New Years shite - but shite all the same. The squad is tiny, Europa League is a massive distraction, and we rode our luck with injuries last season.

Only a fool like Ashley would think the stars would align for a second year straight. A lesson well learnt so long as we avoid relegation, we have to expect growing pains from a management team who know fuck all about football until the experience hits them square in the face. That is what supporting NUFC is all about these days.

Whats CT said wrong now? :lol:

For me Santon looks a good footballer but a poor defender...on the evidence provided so far he's nowhere near as good a defender as the Enrique that left us was, and its debateable if he's as good going forward. He does play better when Ben Arfa is in front of him though tbf.

Whats CT said wrong now? :lol:

For me Santon looks a good footballer but a poor defender...on the evidence provided so far he's nowhere near as good a defender as the Enrique that left us was, and its debateable if he's as good going forward. He does play better when Ben Arfa is in front of him though tbf.

Same as you but you know, its me... ;) Fives Alex another in though bless him. (It is Panto season after all).

come to think of it you even dropped him from one of your "formations" a month ago when he was having a stormer :lol:

Cabayes mate arriving tanks your dreams of fergie ever getting on at left fullback, is that the issue? ;)

lol you do realise he was our best defender at the start of december?

Team plays like shit as a hole, who can i single out hmmm yes you!

fuck me why i'm even replying to you is beyond me normally i don't bother my balls because you're clueless

I think his attacking has blinded people to his poor defensive displays which are getting worse.

In the best team thread I pondered playing 3 central defenders at the back because adding debuchy to play the same sort of way that santon does worries me defensively. Going forward I'm excited about them though.

or i didn't read padocklads post, he's wrong as well, hate to tell you you're not the panto villian you're just inept apparently with football and making it to the bog in time.

as i said when Santon first arrived and people had seen fuck all of him and were speculating, he's quality both at the back and going forward, but should be on the right.

But he's not on the right, he's on the left and thats where his performances will be judged.

But hey ho, we are all wrong.

Same as you but you know, its me... ;) Fives Alex another in though bless him. (It is Panto season after all).

What role are you hoping for? The rear-end of the cow?

Indeed and whose fault is that? and STILL until the last few games where he's had a bad patch where the entire team has had a bad patch you've now piped up in you're usual

"i need attention what can i talk shite about now" style.

like i said < =start dec you were creaming (bit of a faux pas there) your cacks about him and all

Until you've a grasp about football you should pipe down, using "hey it's ok because i only watch newcastle" is not a viable excuse for being thick.

Seems everyone is concerned about Santons form bar you.

No you and paddocklad have said he's poor defensively

he isn't he's had a bad run of games, like the rest of the team, there's a difference

Watch

"I think Rooney is a poor finisher, hasn't scored in the last 4 games!"!£"!"?"

"he isn't a poor finisher he's had a bad run lately"

do you see the difference ?

one says he has the ability just isn't in his stride currently, one says he lacks it and the last few bad games are the basis for it.

The difference is Rooney has been world class and has a blip.

Santon as yet hasnt shown he is a great defender. He has shown he's a good footballer and great going forward though.

Do you see the difference?

or i didn't read padocklads post, he's wrong as well, hate to tell you you're not the panto villian you're just inept apparently with football and making it to the bog in time.

as i said when Santon first arrived and people had seen fuck all of him and were speculating, he's quality both at the back and going forward, but should be on the right.

and having a bad patch for a few games doesn't turn him into a shitter after getting plaudits all the previous matches :lol:

I didnt say fuck all about him when he arrived because I didnt have a clue who he was but am willing to bet I've now seen him play a lot more than you have.

He's never looked a better player to me than Enrique. Thats how I'm judging him, the player he replaced.And he's had time to learn the game in this country now, same as Enrique. He played left back in Italy and am I right in saying actually for Italy? so its safe to say he's a left back. Theres loads of right footed left backs, Lamm being the best examaple, Stuart Pearce as well. If he's trying to make a career out of it perhaps you're right, its better he moves across,because at the moment he's nowhere near good enough to pull off what must be a very difficult task, but as I've tried to show here, he's a left back.

True, he's not the only one who's playing poorly. But If you're not as good as the player you replaced you may well be one of the reasons why the whole team is going backwards.

i like santon. he's comfortable on the ball and offers a threat going forward from left back that we've lacked from the right back all season.

he needs to work on his positional awareness and discipline though. ryan taylor improved massively at that last season so i'd hope it's something that can be coached into santon by our current staff too. he's clearly got ability.

Can't be arsed getting into this ones renowned for being footballing knowledge inept and shitting his pants, and the other is agreeing with him but pulling the "i get to more matches than you card" as some sort of underlying "so that means i know better"

fuck me

yes Lahm is immense, you're now comparing an up and coming 21 year old to possibly the worlds best fullback, Maldini was one as well sure we'll throw him into the mix will we.

(btw if you've been watching a lot of football Lahm plays quite a bit on the right these days in his preferred position because of Alaba coming through the ranks and operating on the left, even moved to the right for germany in a few games)

If you wanna go search for my post when he first signed i'm reasonably sure i explained where he played when and why, he's even played right wing at one stage.

:lol:

You started "I know best" roulette and now it may appear that you now don't and its suddenly become a bit of a bind for you?

Perhaps you'd like to explain how playing right wing in Italy is relevent to this season? he played left back for Inter, am I right or wrong? am perfectly willing to admit it if I am indeed incorrect. I dont set myself up as an expert, its just an opinion. He's not as good as the player he replaced if you ask me. Thats it.

Edited by PaddockLad

I'd say Santon is lacking a decent partner in front of him who compliments him and can work with him. Little partnerships like this can be crucial in a side but our team is all over the fucking shop for reasons we're all familiar with. However, Santon, as good as he can be going forward can also be a little erratic at the back. I'll think he'll be ok with better support around him. Over to you Mike.