We won't be relegated darlings

Park Life

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The difference is Rooney has been world class and has a blip.

Santon as yet hasnt shown he is a great defender. He has shown he's a good footballer and great going forward though.

Do you see the difference?

Great ???

He's been average, made one good run yesterday and cut the ball across, made another and didn't cut the ball across when he should have. Defensively he's poor and it gets more exposed without Jonas doing the running about getting in the way job (in fairness any fullback will get exposed without any cover).

He cost us 2 goals last night, one for us and one for them, why he didn't attack the ball/cross that Anichebe scored from I cannot comprehend.

Let's not lose focus on the main point.....CT thinks LB is our biggest worry now we have a RB secured.

Whatever issues Santon might have, that's patently bollocks.

Nice try but I didnt. I said that the Left Back is "showing signs for concern". Which most people agree with.

like i said search for the post i can't be arsed retyping it

well i think me saying i've watched considerably more of him than you have seeing as i like watching seriea is fair enough, you pulled the "yeah but not in the flesh card" like i mattered

so basically what you've seen of him i have, plus his outings in italy/champions league under mourinho

Somebody said last night you see a different game on the tv, theyre right. Do you, with all your experiance of seeing him, think he's playing as consistantly well as Enrique did?..thats my point..

Its not easy for him this season, its not fuckin easy for any of them. But last season I thought he was suspect and nothing thats happened this season has made me change my mind. Maybe right wing is the best place for him because, for me, he's not much of a defender.

oh and again, did he play left back regularly in italy?...just to clarify like...

Somebody said last night you see a different game on the tv, theyre right. Do you, with all your experiance of seeing him, think he's playing as consistantly well as Enrique did?..thats my point..

Its not easy for him this season, its not fuckin easy for any of them. But last season I thought he was suspect and nothing thats happened this season has made me change my mind. Maybe right wing is the best place for him because, for me, he's not much of a defender.

oh and again, did he play left back regularly in italy?...just to clarify like...

Simpson is a better defender than Santon by no small distance (but Santon isn't on the fans shit-list) not much in it going forward either, end product is usually the same, albeit Santon can beat a man (sometimes) but delivery is neithers strong point.

Simpson is a better defender than Santon by no small distance (but Santon isn't on the fans shit-list) not much in it going forward either, end product is usually the same, albeit Santon can beat a man (sometimes) but delivery is neithers strong point.

Fuck all in it. Both have been at fault regularly this season iyam.

Simpson is a more English player. Like Taylor. They'll do a lot of running to make up for lack of ability. Santon has much more ability. He's only 22, played a few more games in England than Coloccini had by the time we got relegated and his stock was at its lowest.

Santon has shown glimpses of his assuredness and will only get better with experience in the Premier League. Simpson is starting the downward spiral of his career that never reached any great heights. Simpson could conceivably be replaced and improved upon with a relatively cheap purchase. I can't see Ashley spending wht it would take to buy the finished article that would improve on Santon.

Simpson is a more English player. Like Taylor. They'll do a lot of running to make up for lack of ability. Santon has much more ability. He's only 22, played a few more games in England than Coloccini had by the time we got relegated and his stock was at its lowest.

Santon has shown glimpses of his assuredness and will only get better with experience in the Premier League. Simpson is starting the downward spiral of his career that never reached any great heights. Simpson could conceivably be replaced and improved upon with a relatively cheap purchase. I can't see Ashley spending wht it would take to buy the finished article that would improve on Santon.

Spot on Happy Face.

Also might I add Colo has been pretty poor recently.

Spot on Happy Face.

Also might I add Colo has been pretty poor recently.

I don't think he's played well since Pardew likened him to Bobby Moore.

I don't think it's a factor like (or the Bobby Moore comment for that matter). The 8 year contract isn't really an 8 year contract anyway either. The only significance of the 8 years was to get more compensation if a top side came in for Pardew. So, given that doesn't seem very likely, it's effectively a 2 year rolling deal (i.e. his payoff is 2 years or £1m).

I reckon Henry Winter was fully aware of that too btw when he swam across the Tyne :lol: I think he's just too nice a bloke and didn't want to appear churlish.

With Debuchy hopefully signing I think this signals the end for Simpson especially as his contracts up at the end of the season.

Never really liked Santon playing left back, too one footed and predictable, quite a few times last night he was one on one and lost the ball apart from the one time he done Naismith a peach. I think we should probably get another left back to tighten up our defence a wee bit as well as another centre half to partner Coloccini and then eventually replace Colo, I think he's starting to become a bit poor.

Replacing Coloccini is no easy task. He is one of the most technically gifted footballers at the club for a start, but he also plays as more of a sweeper.

With him as a sweeper, we can play a big lad alongside him to go in for the majority of the aerial stuff, with Coloccini mopping up behind and doing the bulk of the passing.

To bring another lad in next to Coloccini, he'd need to be not only strong in the air, but also good on the deck. Douglas could be that man, as he's a lanky bastard but also competent with the ball at his feet.

He's nowhere near finished yet mind. His reading of the game is still first class and we are at our absolute weakest when he isn't playing.

As for Santon, as has been said, he is a footballer. Unlike the likes of Simpson, he knows how to kick a ball and he knows how to control a ball coming at him at pace.

Positioning can be taught and developed with experience. If you have a shit first touch in your 20's, it's unlikely it'll ever get any better.

That said, he's had a few poor games recently, but part of that is no doubt attributable to having very limited understanding with Obertan in front of him.

Santon's been out of form the last few games it's not just last night. That said, before that he was our most consistent performer this season. I still feel we would only get the very best of him playing him rightback but that's obviously not going to happen assuming the Debuchy transfer goes through. He's still more than capable at left back and I'm not at all concerned about him. I'm sure once we get some players back/in he'll get back to his best.