Drugs - Time to legalise - The Economist

Rob W

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

zero tolerance doesn't work. the war on drugs will never be won. instead of shutting down clubs like fabric, why not allow ravers to test their pills like in amsterdam and berlin? it'll never happen, according to theresa may.

this is a decent watch

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/video/watch-high-society-ecstasy?utm_source=vicetwitteruk

Edited by Dr Gloom

Weed can't remain illegal for much longer tbf. I genuinely think the issue there is that the old people in this country consider weed as the gateway drug to the widespread collapse of society. The balance will shift eventually.

I may have said this earlier in this thread (years ago) but I was banging a GP for a while and she reckoned the biggest drug related issues (psychological) were by and far with weed. 

I've never really got into it to be honest. My ex-flatmate was on it every night, I used to get in from work and his eyes were pointing in the wrong directions. 

Weed can't remain illegal for much longer tbf. I genuinely think the issue there is that the old people in this country consider weed as the gateway drug to the widespread collapse of society. The balance will shift eventually.

I don't even think that many of them do. If you turned 15 in 1960 you'll be 71 this year.

I may have said this earlier in this thread (years ago) but I was banging a GP for a while and she reckoned the biggest drug related issues (psychological) were by and far with weed. 

I've never really got into it to be honest. My ex-flatmate was on it every night, I used to get in from work and his eyes were pointing in the wrong directions. 

:lol:

But fair enough on the overall thrust of the comment.

Are there any actual figures to back that up? Because given the amount of people on it, that sounds like anecdotal bollocks

are you sure he wasn't necking gurners?

Only selectively bred super weed is dangerous with reg to excess THC ratings. IMO the average stuff in moderation is fine for most people (not ones with prior borderline mad leanings). There's a weird fear that comes over you with the strong stuff if you overdo it.

Are there any actual figures to back that up? Because given the amount of people on it, that sounds like anecdotal bollocks

Could be. I guess its just her individual experience but then there is evidence suggesting it can have impact on mental health etc.

Isn't it the case that if you're smoking in your teens, it's not great for you cos your brain is still developing, but that as an adult there's no causal psychological harm been recorded.

From what I've read there does tend to be a link between people with mental health problems and weed, but it's not causal - these crazy bastards get wrecked BECAUSE they've got problems, it's not the weed that causes them.

Could be. I guess its just her individual experience but then there is evidence suggesting it can have impact on mental health etc.

Well it can. I would say it's probably more far helpful as stress relief than the harm it causes. It always comes way behind alcohol, tobacco, and most of the well-known class A in terms of harm caused to the user and others though. Which actually is based on evidence. I'm not suggesting for one moment it's harmless but we're talking about recreational drugs so you really have to make a relative judgement rather than look at it in isolation.