Are we going down?

tinofbeans

I genuinely think we'll scrape through by the skin of our teeth, but what happens if we don't.

For me, the most obvious thing is get rid of the high earners, and replace them with journeymen who would be able to get us up to the prem stright away.

what do you think?.

Edited by canofbeans

I genuinely think we'll scrape through by the skin of our teeth, but what happens if we don't.

For me, the most obvious thing is get rid of the high earners, and replace them with journeymen who would be able to get us up to the prem stright away.

what do you think?.

Easier said than done - doesn't matter what players you have if the management is wrong - you also have plenty other teams thinking the same and couple the lack of status that comes with playing in the B league and our geograhical position in the country then were not massively attractive to players unless we are playing them x% more than everybody else

I've accepted it as a certainty, I can't begin to blame the managerial or coaching staff, the blame lays 100% with Mike Ashley.

We are going down i an absolutely certain of that. We also do not have the infrastructre to come back up straight away. My only hope is that something happens to ashley and he is forced to sell for peanuts.

I think this is very true our 'better' players will be straight off and the rest won't even be able to cut it in the championship.

For a while now I havent worried too much about this and just sort of thought, "been here before, just have to get on with it". Then it dawned on me that last time we were there, I cant really recall us ever been good. This time it will be after a period of having a very good team, champions league football, world record transfers etc etc.

Its probably gonna be like the guy sitting in the pub watching his ex-wife walk in with his ex-mate (The one who had the monster cock and Porshe).

Can you get streams for championship foorball?

Do they even show it on TV anymore?

Fuck!

I was actually going to start a thread on this. For all of the other posters who live outside of the area, how will you be following the club? I remember Setanta showing some Championship games last season but not so much this year.

The bottom three in the Championship are currently Barnsley, Southampton and Charlton.

Barnsley were a one season wonder in the Prem sure, but they spent some time down in League One. Southampton were relegated in 2005 after 27 years in the Prem and Charlton were relegated in 2007.

What worries me most isn't so much relegation, just the fact that coming straight back up, and then surviving, isn't a foregone conclusion.

The bottom three in the Championship are currently Barnsley, Southampton and Charlton.

Barnsley were a one season wonder in the Prem sure, but they spent some time down in League One. Southampton were relegated in 2005 after 27 years in the Prem and Charlton were relegated in 2007.

What worries me most isn't so much relegation, just the fact that coming straight back up, and then surviving, isn't a foregone conclusion.

:lol:

I just don't see it. that table looks very rose tinted to me asprillia.

It seems logical (or indeed easy) to say this but Ashley is now clearly to blame. He has backed our managers to a limited degree, and has supported our youth team ( or rather younger players)

He’s allowed players that would have benefited the continuation of premier league survival (given, milner) to go, admittedly both at a profit. He hasn’t addressed the most obvious problems (such as our central midfielders not being able to pass the ball, our defenders being gutless dogs, and our forwards not maintaining the ability to stay fit or in form for any period of time).

Add to that the amount of players that earn 60k+ a week for delivering 2/3 of fuck all and you get a club thats really going nowhere fast. Our best player is/was a PSG reserve! and even he can't guarantee decent performances week in week out.

its all such a shame.

get rid of the high earners , bring in a few solid players that know the championship , and let the kids at em ! we got some great kids , blood em in the championship and they should be mature enough to handle the premiership once were back .

I've supported the toon since I was a wee lad in the late 70's, so even if we do go down, I'll still be supporting them.

It don't matter what league we're in, Black and White flows through our veins, we'll still be there watching no matter what.

I just can't stand the fact that when fatty bought the club, I genuinely believed that we would turn around and be challenging for trophies and even maybe the league! but like I said, my love for the club will never die!

Born a toon fan, will die a toon fan! simple as.

Edited by Angelus71

:lol: I assume you mean me?

I did it as honestly as possible and that's what I came up with. I'm not one to be overly optimistic as I really think we'll go down but that's just what my predictions came out as.

For all i tend to agree with the OP that we will stay up, i think i like everyone has gave it some thought as to what would happen should we slip through the net.

I think 1st and foremost a whole host of players would leave and we would be left with the ones who are maybe loyal to the cause, want the personal challenge and the ones who wouldnt be wanted by any team in a better situation. Up to you to work out which are which but i think the following would leave...

Enrique, Coloccini, Bassong, Duff, Barton, Gutierrez, Owen, Viduka, Martins.

We'd be left with...

Harper, Krul, Forster, Edgar, Taylor, Cacapa, Beye, Geremi, Butt, Nolan, Guthrie, Carroll, Strola and Xisco.

All of which would cut it in the Championship but only just, only with the bolded players maybe PL standard.

This could though be a good thing if we as fans can stomach ONE year in the chamionship....we remove the high earning under performers and when we bounce back up alot of the journeymen would be finished and leave.

Also i think it would give us a genuine oppertunity to blood the youth, play them in the 1st team on a regular basis and with a year in the side we would see what they are all about and then they could possibly make the step up to the premiership.

When i say youngsters im talkin about...

Soderberg, Tozer, Kadar, Lua-Lua, Inman, Baheng and Vukcic who all could well turn out to be quality players and a year in the championship could be just what they need.

Just a thought...... :lol:

Yeah part of me thinks you two are right but i just feel Taylor loves the club and i think he'd be up for the challenge, and Beye too, he seems loyal and has a good attitude, though i think there will be PL clubs sniffing round them both.

Of the players i mentioned leaving...how much to do you think we'd get? Id say about 30-35mil...that would be a nice chunk repaid back to MA eh :lol:

For all i tend to agree with the OP that we will stay up, i think i like everyone has gave it some thought as to what would happen should we slip through the net.

I think 1st and foremost a whole host of players would leave and we would be left with the ones who are maybe loyal to the cause, want the personal challenge and the ones who wouldnt be wanted by any team in a better situation. Up to you to work out which are which but i think the following would leave...

Enrique, Coloccini, Bassong, Duff, Barton, Gutierrez, Owen, Viduka, Martins.

We'd be left with...

Harper, Krul, Forster, Edgar, Taylor, Cacapa, Beye, Geremi, Butt, Nolan, Guthrie, Carroll, Strola and Xisco.

All of which would cut it in the Championship but only just, only with the bolded players maybe PL standard.

This could though be a good thing if we as fans can stomach ONE year in the chamionship....we remove the high earning under performers and when we bounce back up alot of the journeymen would be finished and leave.

Also i think it would give us a genuine oppertunity to blood the youth, play them in the 1st team on a regular basis and with a year in the side we would see what they are all about and then they could possibly make the step up to the premiership.

When i say youngsters im talkin about...

Soderberg, Tozer, Kadar, Lua-Lua, Inman, Baheng and Vukcic who all could well turn out to be quality players and a year in the championship could be just what they need.

Just a thought...... :lol:

Taylor PL standard? :lol:

I did it as honestly as possible and that's what I came up with. I'm not one to be overly optimistic as I really think we'll go down but that's just what my predictions came out as.

my bad.

if i could inject some optimism i would but, really there is so much work to be done, we'd need to rebuild completely. regardless, I do want our team to stay up and us to rebuild and get rid of the shite.....

Yeah part of me thinks you two are right but i just feel Taylor loves the club and i think he'd be up for the challenge, and Beye too, he seems loyal and has a good attitude, though i think there will be PL clubs sniffing round them both.

Beye came here for the money, not that there's anything wrong with that or his performances but he'd have no reason to stay if we went down.

Edited by ewerk

my bad.

if i could inject some optimism i would but, really there is so much work to be done, we'd need to rebuild completely. regardless, I do want our team to stay up and us to rebuild and get rid of the shite.....

I don't think we need to rebuild completely on the pitch. There are half a dozen players who i'd say we desperately need to get rid of due to wages/lack of quality (Smith, Geremi, Butt, Duff etc.) and then it's split 65/35 between players who should be nothing but backup and players who are good enough. Our main issue is lack of squad depth and if we can ship out the half a dozen or some players alluded to, replace them and then plug the other holes in the squad that have needed filling for a long time (creative midfielder would be nice at the 17th time of asking) we're easily good enough to stay up.

We do need serious rebuilding off the pitch. Kinnear? Calderwood? Hughton? Wise? Llambias? They all need to dee one.