Owen dropped for crunch match Vs Arsenal

Jimbo

Owen shock as Hughton drops Newcastle striker for key battle

Caretaker manager Chris Hughton has taken the controversial decision to leave out the former England striker and play Nigeria international Obafemi Martins up front on his own against the Gunners at St James' Park in this evening's televised game.

Owen only returned to the side last week for the 1-1 draw at Hull City after a two-month lay-off with an ankle injury but he failed to make much impact at the KC Stadium.

He is still hoping to catch the eye of England coach Fabio Capello before the end of the season to reclaim his England place, but has been left on the bench for this fixture.

This is a crucial game for Newcastle as they battle to move away from the relegation places. There was talk on Tyneside last night of a bust-up between Owen, Hughton and his fellow caretaker coach Colin Calderwood, but this was denied by the club and Owen's advisers last night.

Martins, himself, is only just back from a lengthy spell out with injury but Hughton has chosen the former Inter Milan striker to lead the line, with Alan Smith expected to play a key midfield role.

I'm taking bookings for lodgings for the fixtures vs Ipswich and Norwich next season, first cum first served....

Not against him coming off the bench when he's just coming back from a spell on the sidelines. I just hope the stuff about a fall-out is bollocks. Quite confident Owen is pretty professional though so I'd expect him to do a job when called upon.

Hes done bot all for a year. Not sure why he should be automatic choice. If the ball isnt laid on a plate for him he doesnt want to know

Have a drink ffs.

we couldn't even beat hull, home or away

every games important but this is one of the least likely we were ever going to get anything from...

not looking forward to tomorrow at all.... i sense another battering

least when ya played the teams likely to beat you, it wasn't overly annoying because you knew you'd get a result against the shitty end of the table... we can't even fcking manage that now

bloody depressing

Have a wank or something man ffs. Your blood pressure must be through the roof :lol:

Martins on his own will be headless. If only King Khris didn't start him against Hull when he wasn't fit...

He worked well with Peter, the first 20 mins at Man U game was the best we'd played all season. I'd stick to that rather than change it now. Owen added nothing against Hull.

If they start playing long balls up to Martins I'll be so pissed off.

If they're playing Jonas and Lovenkrands as wingers then it could well work out ok.