The Ashes

smoggeordie

Good point, Anderson's record away from home is ordinary to say the least. Not many of the current lot have much experience of bowling over there either.

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cracking night last night. Bell and Colly with a monumental stand, and good knocks for Trott and Cook too. May as well let these two and Prior have a decent knock in the morning session, then declare so Straussy and KP have time for another knock before the end of day 4.

Got Thursday off work next week as a post exam relaxer, so may pull an all night stint for the first day of the first test!

An awful lot depends on winning the toss in games down under

Don't know how true that is in general but I think we've won the toss something like 7 out of 10 times in the last two series down there and won one of those tests. We did win the toss (and batted) and went on to win iirc in Steve Waugh's last test 8 years ago but it was a dead rubber anyway. The toss is always important but I don't see how it's any more crucial in Australia than anywhere else.

Edited by alex

Don't know how true that is in general but I think we've won the toss something like 7 out of 10 times in the last two series down there and won one of those tests. We did win the toss (and batted) and went on to win iirc in Steve Waugh's last test 8 years ago but it was a dead rubber anyway. The toss is always important but I don't see how it's any more crucial in Australia than anywhere else.

I thought that, but then the default for reading most of Rob's posts is 'he doesn't know what he's talking about'.

I thought that, but then the default for reading most of Rob's posts is 'he doesn't know what he's talking about'.

Followed by a classic get out like 'My dear boy, you wouldn't understand if I explained it to you anyway.....' ;)

there were some numbers in the papers showing that in the Ashes the side winning the toss has a serious advantage in Australia but not so much in England - I suspect that's because at say Adelaide if you get in you can bat for days without any chance of the bowlers getting you out cheaply - not so important in Brisbane

Followed by a classic get out like 'My dear boy, you wouldn't understand if I explained it to you anyway.....' ;)

I see you are starting to pick up something at long last my Apprectice

"Marvin is afflicted with severe depression and boredom, in part because he has a "brain the size of a planet" which he is seldom (if ever) given the chance to use. Indeed, the true horror of Marvin's existence is that no task he could be given would occupy even the tiniest fraction of his vast intellect."

i really do know his pain...........................

I think you'll find that losing the toss may be a blessing in disguise for this test match. The Gabba wicket is very green. Losing the toss and having to bowl first may be the way to go...

Anyway I can't wait. The Poms have their best chance to win a series here, the Aussies are truly out of form, particularly their middle order. Ponting's man crush with Siddle being preferred to Bolinger has caused outrage here. Whoever wins the first test wins the series for me.

Edited by Ken

I think you'll find that losing the toss may be a blessing in disguise for this test match. The Gabba wicket is very green. Losing the toss and having to bowl first may be the way to go...

at least we haven't got harmy in to send the first ball of the series down to second slip this time

at least we haven't got harmy in to send the first ball of the series down to second slip this time

They've been showing that over, and over, and over the past few weeks, I'm sick to death of it. No, I think the Poms are more prepared and less nervous than when that happened. Mitchell Johnson is more likely to produce one of those howlers the way he's bowling.

I'm a real glory hunter when it comes to the cricket. if England have are winning I will be following it avidly, and absolutely loving it if they are stuffing the Aussies. A close series with will have me obsessed, and full of jingoistic bombast if we win - but to be honest losing wouldn't really affect me in the slightest.

I hope we win because I will thoroughly enjoy it, but if England aren't winning I will lose all interest, and genuinely not care.

Bit of a no lose for me.

Edited by spongebob toonpants