The Boxing thread

Jimbo

I watched the fight via download yesterday and I honestly think Haye was fortunate the get the decision, the fight barely deserved a winner, Valuev plodding forward and Haye on the backfoot throwing minimal punches, although the best man should win, I have always felt in the back of my mind you should give a champion a beating before you take his title, and this wasn't it.

I'm happy Haye won, it was a moral victory for all those times Valuev has been gifted a hometown decision, but I think Haye was a lucky boy.

I honestly think Haye was fortunate the get the decision, the fight barely deserved a winner, Valuev plodding forward and Haye on the backfoot throwing minimal punches, although the best man should win, I have always felt in the back of my mind you should give a champion a beating before you take his title, and this wasn't it.

I agree with all of that, Jimbo. Especially the bit in bold.

I watched the fight via download yesterday and I honestly think Haye was fortunate the get the decision, the fight barely deserved a winner, Valuev plodding forward and Haye on the backfoot throwing minimal punches, although the best man should win, I have always felt in the back of my mind you should give a champion a beating before you take his title, and this wasn't it.

I'm happy Haye won, it was a moral victory for all those times Valuev has been gifted a hometown decision, but I think Haye was a lucky boy.

Ditto.

Pacquiao set for 'toughest test'

WBO WORLD WELTERWEIGHT TITLE: Miguel Cotto v Manny Pacquiao

Venue: MGM Grand, Las Vegas Date: Sunday, 15 November (Fight expected to begin about 0200 GMT) Coverage: Sky Sports 1

Manny Pacquiao says his bout with Miguel Cotto in Las Vegas on Saturday will be "his toughest test as a professional boxer".

The Philippine superstar, 30, is challenging Puerto Rico's Cotto for his WBO welterweight belt, but at a contracted weight of 145lb.

Cotto, 29, was right on the limit at Friday's weigh-in, while Pacquiao weighed in just one pound lighter.

Pacquiao is favourite to beat Cotto and become a five-weight world champion.

An estimated 6,500 fans turned out to see the two men take to the scales at the MGM Grand Garden Arena, with most of them pulling for Pacquiao, who is generally regarded as the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world.

"This will be my toughest test as a professional boxer," said southpaw Pacquiao, who knocked out Britain's Ricky Hatton in two rounds in May.

"I know he [Cotto] is an excellent, smart fighter and a great world champion. We also know he is good in body punching so I have to counter that. I am prepared for anything he has to offer, I feel like I know him like I know myself."

Pacquiao's trainer Freddie Roach believes Cotto, a former light-welterweight world champion, will go the same way as Hatton.

"I have never seen my fighter looking better," he said. "I respect Miguel, but he'll get knocked out in this one. I just think Miguel Cotto's defence isn't good enough. He's hittable and people that Manny can hit, he knocks out."

However, Cotto, who has 34 wins from 35 fights, is confident he will have too much strength and too much power for Pacquiao (49-3-2), who is fighting at welterweight for the first time in his career.

"Forget about Freddie Roach, he can only train Manny the best he can," said Cotto, who won the vacant WBO belt with a five-round stoppage of Chorley's Michael Jennings in February.

"It is just Manny and Miguel Cotto in the ring and my strength will be too much for him on Saturday."

Cotto has failed to shake off the perception in some quarters that his beating at the hands of Antonio Margarito last July (the Mexican was subsequently banned after illegal wraps were discovered on his hands prior to his fight with Shane Mosley) has rendered him damaged goods.

But legendary trainer Angelo Dundee is one observer who believes Cotto has the tools to spring an upset.

"If I ever had a fighter fighting Pacquiao, I would implement the things that Cotto brings to the table," said Dundee, who handled Muhammad Ali and Sugar Ray Leonard among many others.

"Cotto is a pressure fighter and he's going to be on Pacquiao from the get-go. He's got a great left hook and he's a good body puncher.

"Pacquiao takes it to you all the time but in this fight he is going to have to back up. He's smart, slick and has great hand speed, but Cotto counters those things."

• 3 weeks later...
How? It wasnt even close, the scores were

119-110, 118-111, 117-111

Yeah, and? It was a total disgrace, Prescott should have won, he had Mitchell on the backfoot in every round, just wasn't capable of finishing him off.

Biased decision.