Roman Polanski

Has he made any other really good films other than Chinatown (which is admittedly amazing)?

Edit;

On further investigation it appears I've only seen another three of his films (Rosemary's Baby, Frantic & The Ninth Gate) and while none of them are bad, none of them are close to being great either (appart from having John Cassavettes in RB).

Edited by David Kelly

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The charge is surely going to be for proper rape although I suspect he'll just get done for statutory.

Great director who's had a fucking nightmare of a life.

The charge is surely going to be for proper rape although I suspect he'll just get done for statutory.

He has already pleaded guilty hadn't he? I don't think he's going to go back on trial for it again, probably get charged for legging it though.

Edit: I may be wrong there.

Edited by ewerk

It's a strange one in that he did a plea bargain but then the judge backed out - the yanks have said that they admit the judge was dodgy but that doesn't excuse the runner.

I think if she'd been 16 or 17 (same law applies) I might have had some sympathy with him but 13 is beyond the pale.

I'm also finding all the luvvy outrage at his arrest to be nauseating.

He has already pleaded guilty hadn't he? I don't think he's going to go back on trial for it again, probably get charged for legging it though.

He admitted to having sex with her yeah. But I don't think he's admitted to proper rape - pretty certain he said it was consentual.

He admitted to having sex with her yeah. But I don't think he's admitted to proper rape - pretty certain he said it was consentual.

Think he downgraded that to just sensual.

Well she was only 13 and he drugged her then did her up the shitter. According to her at least. You do the math.

I've always been quick to defend the notion that, the law notwithstanding, you can be both "underage" and consensual - I can't be the only person on here who was, after all - but there's a lot about this case that has never quite sat right. (And I'm not just talking about the lass after he was finished with her.) It's going to be very interesting to see how this plays out, if it ever really does.

Well she was only 13 and he drugged her then did her up the shitter. According to her at least. You do the math.

I've always been quick to defend the notion that, the law notwithstanding, you can be both "underage" and consensual - I can't be the only person on here who was, after all - but there's a lot about this case that has never quite sat right. (And I'm not just talking about the lass after he was finished with her.) It's going to be very interesting to see how this plays out, if it ever really does.

There was a piece on this on radio 4 the other night. Apparently the current laws are all over the shop; strictly speaking it's illegal for two 15 year olds to grope or snog each other. Which would make most of us criminals I suspect (some people excepted :lol:).

I don't have a clue what happened in the Polanski case and I don't want to know either. It's interesting though to hear board members wanting to 'torture him every day for the rest of his life'. Sounds like a really balanced response.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm reading Hammer of the Gods the Led Zeppelin biography at the moment.

Turns out Jimmy Page is a filthy rotter who was diddling 14 year old girls on tour. :icon_lol:

What with Polanski, Woody Allen and Charlie Chaplin I'm starting to wonder if any of my heroes don't have a penchant for underage girls.

I'm reading Hammer of the Gods the Led Zeppelin biography at the moment.

Turns out Jimmy Page is a filthy rotter who was diddling 14 year old girls on tour. ;)

What with Polanski, Woody Allen and Charlie Chaplin I'm starting to wonder if any of my heroes don't have a penchant for underage girls.

The books a good read, Cole and Bonham got up to some mad things with those mini sharks they fished from that Hotel window! ;)

Apparently that lass said Page was fairly decent and never got up to anything illegal. If it was going to get him in any trouble I doubt the book would be out.

You have to wonder how old the girl in 'Living Loving Maid' is after reading the book like :icon_lol: