Recommend me something to watch!

Besty

I liked Solo. 

A standalone film about Han Solo where the main actor pulls off a very solid Harrison Ford as Han Solo impression. Nothing not to like. 

I thought Rogue One was pretty decent, probably the best thing they've put out in recent decades. Andor runs it close.

Has everyone watched Atlanta? It's ostensibly a half hour comedy show about a rapper and his management team in Atlanta. 

But as you go through the seasons they get more and more ambitious and it turns into social commentary, but always funny. 

I've just watched the episode where it's a mockumentary about, after the Rodney King riots, Disney appoints a black CEO who wants to make a goofy movie. He's convinced Goofy is a black bloke and he wants to tell the story of the black man in America through Goofy's eyes. 

Anyway strong recommend for the whole thing. 

• Like 1

On 22/05/2024 at 14:24, Gemmill said:

I liked Solo. 

A standalone film about Han Solo where the main actor pulls off a very solid Harrison Ford as Han Solo impression. Nothing not to like. 

Rogue One is the best of the new crop of Star Wars movies by some distance I’d say, although I agree that Solo was good fun and didn’t deserve the panning it apparently got. 

On 22/05/2024 at 14:14, The Fish said:

I liked Mandalorian and the Rosario Dawson one to be honest. 

Thought the new trilogy was close to being good, but at every fork in the road they chose the wrong one. But then again, I'm not the target audience. I'm struggling to think of any good sci-fi, hard or soft, that has come out in ages. 

Moon? Does the Martian count? But so much is just rehashing original pieces and that's the biggest problem with the latest trilogy, certainly the first of those three.

Recent and recent-ish - 3Body Problem, The Expanse.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Silo is good too. 

Not seen that, cheers (Fallout was great as well)

P.S. second season of Mayor of Kingstown just out

Edited by Toonpack

24 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Nice one! Season 3 though innit? 

And yes Fallout was really good. 

Aye, my senility kicked in, Season 3

• Like 1

Loved Silo but partly cos I have a thing for Rebecca Ferguson, but wasn't sure if we're classing it as Sci Fi really. I mean it is but not space travelling or anything, more dystopian. Which opens the door to loads of decent stuff like the Last of us. Will binge watch Fallout when I renew my Prime subscription. 

Yeah, and the rings of power which I personally liked because sad as I am, I was never sad enough to read the Silmarillion and whinge it was breaking Tolkein canon. 👍

19 minutes ago, Renton said:

Loved Silo but partly cos I have a thing for Rebecca Ferguson, but wasn't sure if we're classing it as Sci Fi really. I mean it is but not space travelling or anything, more dystopian. Which opens the door to loads of decent stuff like the Last of us. Will binge watch Fallout when I renew my Prime subscription. 

All of this. I love Rebecca Ferguson but Silo is also top notch. Severance is fantastic on Apple TV as well. 

fallout has been my fav show of 2024.

12 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Has everyone watched Atlanta? It's ostensibly a half hour comedy show about a rapper and his management team in Atlanta. 

But as you go through the seasons they get more and more ambitious and it turns into social commentary, but always funny. 

I've just watched the episode where it's a mockumentary about, after the Rodney King riots, Disney appoints a black CEO who wants to make a goofy movie. He's convinced Goofy is a black bloke and he wants to tell the story of the black man in America through Goofy's eyes. 

Anyway strong recommend for the whole thing. 

Atlanta is absolute quality. Darius is one of the greatest characters ever seen on TV

Started 3 body problem on your recommendation 3 eps in and I'm hooked

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Renton said:

Yeah, and the rings of power which I personally liked because sad as I am, I was never sad enough to read the Silmarillion and whinge it was breaking Tolkein canon. 👍

As a Tolkien fanboy I'm still not over how bad it was. Forget the adaptation, the actors/casting were generally terrible, more out of a teen movie than a supposed epic fantasy. 

On 23/05/2024 at 21:26, Renton said:

partly cos I have a thing for Rebecca Ferguson

According to Wiki, her English mam helped ABBA translate the lyrics for the album Waterloo from Swedish to English. 
She’s on the cover of their next album, to the left of Benny

ABBA_-_ABBA_(1975,_Original_Polar_LP).jp

Speaking of actresses called Rebecca who we “admire”…Rebecca Hall. 
Rebecca-Hall-2-007.jpg?width=465&dpr=1&s

Giddup! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1