Recommend me something to watch!

Besty

16 hours ago, Tom said:

That latest Partridge :lol: 

I've watched them and it's been good but the lass playing the female anchor is scarily accurate with the expressions she pulls and the mannerisms she does. Also, fit as a lop which is nice. :good: (Nice to see @ewerk taking a break from the day job to sing his little heart out for Partridge). :D

2 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

I've watched them and it's been good but the lass playing the female anchor is scarily accurate with the expressions she pulls and the mannerisms she does. Also, fit as a lop which is nice. :good: (Nice to see @ewerk taking a break from the day job to sing his little heart out for Partridge). :D

Aye, I haven’t seen her in owt else but she gets it absolutely spot on. I thought the first one was a bit ‘meh’ but have enjoyed them since. Thought the last couple were class. 

• 2 weeks later...

Watched the first two episodes of the new OA. I can't remember what happened in the first one. I remembered the scenes from the recap but not how it tied together or how it ended. Anyway, the new one is a bit of a headfuck. Tempted to give up but will continue for a bit as it gets great IMDB scores. 

6 hours ago, Renton said:

Watched the first two episodes of the new OA. I can't remember what happened in the first one. I remembered the scenes from the recap but not how it tied together or how it ended. Anyway, the new one is a bit of a headfuck. Tempted to give up but will continue for a bit as it gets great IMDB scores. 

The first season finished on a ridiculous note with that mental dance scene, we vowed not to bother with the second season as it was cringeworthy to say the least.

Finished After Life this week, somewhat disappointed with it after a decent start. Cheap laughs but it could be a lot better with the different messages he's trying to convey.

Right, watched all of After Life to give it a fair bash rather than just blindly disliking Ricky Gervais and I did like it quite a bit. Easily the best thing he's done post-Extras and telling that he managed it without Merchant. You have the regular missteps where he's writing scenes in an attempt to shoehorn his stand-up routine/beliefs in there but on the whole, it's thoughtful, emotional and contains a surprisingly accurate portrayal of the grief cycle and how human interaction is shaped when two people are at different stages of it. It seems to take a very dismissive view of therapy which struck me as particularly mean-spirited but maybe there's a sub-section of lying, snake oil therapists operating outside of the health industry that I don't know about. Nevertheless, it has his most sympathetic cast of characters since The Office and earns all the pathos through incredibly strong characterisation alongside excellent pacing and strong performances.

Now, having said all that, I also started watching This Time and I would slam into Partridge's co-host like that final Tetris piece nestling into a perfect game. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

just started the kiminsky method on netflix. decent start, good turns from michael douglas and alan arkin as two old codgers 

Aye, I enjoyed that. I could probably watch Alan Arkin reading out the phone book though tbh

18 hours ago, Renton said:

Spoiler

The main lass got shot at the end of series one after the school was the subject of an attack by a shooter with an assault rifle. She arrived late after the others did that dance thing they’d learned to distract / try to stop the shooter. I haven’t seen the new ones, only the trailers, but she’s presumably ‘leaped’ or jumped or whatever they call it at the point after she was shot and lost consciousness 

On 04/04/2019 at 05:36, Gemmill said:

It's HBO that's done it. I've watched it all cos I'm the fucking main man. Finished in America in Sunday so all episodes available in the usual places. 

How the actual fuck is he still in prison? Shows you how bent the justice system is. 

22 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Right, watched all of After Life to give it a fair bash rather than just blindly disliking Ricky Gervais and I did like it quite a bit. Easily the best thing he's done post-Extras and telling that he managed it without Merchant. You have the regular missteps where he's writing scenes in an attempt to shoehorn his stand-up routine/beliefs in there but on the whole, it's thoughtful, emotional and contains a surprisingly accurate portrayal of the grief cycle and how human interaction is shaped when two people are at different stages of it. It seems to take a very dismissive view of therapy which struck me as particularly mean-spirited but maybe there's a sub-section of lying, snake oil therapists operating outside of the health industry that I don't know about. Nevertheless, it has his most sympathetic cast of characters since The Office and earns all the pathos through incredibly strong characterisation alongside excellent pacing and strong performances.

Now, having said all that, I also started watching This Time and I would slam into Partridge's co-host like that final Tetris piece nestling into a perfect game. 

Listened to him on James O'brien poddy. I can't really do with him as I don't find his stuff funny. Thought I would give the poddy a whirl and saw a different side of him. So give that a go too and like you didn't mind it. 

1 hour ago, wykikitoon said:

Listened to him on James O'brien poddy. I can't really do with him as I don't find his stuff funny. Thought I would give the poddy a whirl and saw a different side of him. So give that a go too and like you didn't mind it. 

I'll have a listen, cheers. As a whole, he's generally alright in interviews/podcasts until he does his usual "offended" shtick.

On 05/04/2019 at 23:50, Ayatollah Hermione said:

You're being well overgenerous there to be fair, he's trying to fly between comedy and grief and it's massively unrealistic, it doesn't fully commit to either of them. 

The story arc & attempts to pull at the heart strings were too obvious and the previously mentioned shoehorning of his beliefs cringeworthy. His character was basically himself, he didn't even dress any differently to what he does irl. His laziness extended to casting where actors from the even-fucking-worse Derek were re-used. Occasionally funny but meh.

Edited by TheGingerQuiff

18 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I thought After Life was his best TV thing since Extras. Enjoyed his recent stand up special on Netflix too. 

Humanity was brilliant imo. Very refreshing his honesty on being wealthy, and his vitriol to his unborn kids. I dont  seee what the fuss is. If you like him, watch him. If you don't, don't. Not complicated really. 

Edited by Renton

3 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

The story arc & attempts to pull at the heart strings were too obvious and the previously mentioned shoehorning of his beliefs cringeworthy. His character was basically himself, he didn't even dress any differently to what he does irl. His laziness extended to casting where actors from the even-fucking-worse Derek were re-used. Occasionally funny but meh.

His reuse of actors is annoying tbh. He shoehorned atheism twuce in six episodes, twice too much tbf. After life wasnt great, but what is nowadays. The Office though for me is one, if not the greatist, comedies of all time. Extras was brilliant too. 

1 minute ago, Renton said:

His reuse of actors is annoying tbh. He shoehorned atheism twuce in six episodes, twice too much tbf. After life wasnt great, but what is nowadays. The Office though for me is one, if not the greatist, comedies of all time. Extras was brilliant too. 

Aye I like him when he's just doing comedy. But I think his writing has gone downhill because of the absence of Merchant