Why don't the fans buy the club?

ackas

As much as the fans of Barcelona own the club, I think they always have and therefore they bought it when the value wasn't so insane. Also a few of their fans are horrendously rich, add to this a 70'000 average attendance and the fact they are sponsored for pretty much everything apart from the shirt and they are doing ok.

150k x 150 Euros is 22.5m - not enough to fund them - even another 40m in STs wouldn't do it.

I'd imagine that the money for wages comes from the same source as ours - TV rights.

I'd also imagine that transfers are funded by loans Shepherd style - I'm open to correction on that though.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think with Barcelona there was some Mafia/Royal involvement.

Obviously there modern finance doesn't come about that way but I think it helped establish them. Post Franco anyway.

Hate to point this out to you, but isn't it a fan's doing that got you relegated :lol:

Honestly though. Romantic idea that I'm sure every club in the league (fan wise at least) would love, but I can't see it working.

It is the only club in England it could work at.

Hate to point this out to you, but isn't it a fan's doing that got you relegated :lol:

Honestly though. Romantic idea that I'm sure every club in the league (fan wise at least) would love, but I can't see it working.

The fact that you think this is sad. No wonder pundits and fans go the extra mile to laugh at this club at times.

Hate to point this out to you, but isn't it a fan's doing that got you relegated :D

:lol:

Obviously there modern finance doesn't come about that way but I think it helped establish them. Post Franco anyway.

Madrid have royal influence.

Madrid have royal influence.

That's what I was thinking of.

The fact that you think this is sad. No wonder pundits and fans go the extra mile to laugh at this club at times.

It is better to stand with a hundred than be followed by thousands.

It just makes you sad fuckers to be honest.

exactly, "going the extra mile" to laugh at us, describes what happens a lot of the time pretty well though

I expect Barca's structure was set up back in the first half of the 20th century or before, when football finances were very different. It's just not practical these days imo.

We can't compare ourselves to them for all sorts of reasons but iirc the Catalans were originally a separate nation culturally and language-wise to the rest of Spain and have never fully supported the Spanish state. They were persecuted by General Franco in particular. Real Madrid was the state's football team and were funded by the govt to beat everyone else. Barca were the focus and outlet for Catalonian resistance to the fascist state and Madrid's attempt to impose its culture on them, hence the hatred between the two clubs. Barca was/is the sporting centre for the region and is a sporting club of many sports with football the most important.

Sir John tried to make us out to be the Barca of England with his Geordie Nation rhetoric and at one time his vision was for a similar sporting club - rugby, ice hockey etc. It all fell through due to lack of money/interest. I'm sure there'll be some who will argue the cultural similarities but I don't see it myself. In our case you could say football's a religion but in Barca's it's deeply political too.

It will happen one day.

First base is buying a stake in the club and getting on the board.

Looks as though others are thinking along these lines as well: -

http://www.true-faith.co.uk/tf/editorials....B1?OpenDocument

The governance of all football clubs leaves a lot to be desired but surely a relationship between any new owner and the NUSC would be a radical and welcome move in the right direction. It would help heal the fracture there has occurred under the Shepherd-Hall and Ashley regimes at NUFC and allow the whole club – owners, directors, managers, coaches, players and supporters to move forward together. Why not give/sell supporters a meaningful 10% stake in the club and allow the authority of that stake to be exercised by a fully elected and accountable NUSC? This is a huge opportunity to build meaningful trust beyond the platitudes we usually get. Will a new owner be bold enough to take it?

Can the NUSC accommodate this into its aims???

It will happen one day.

First base is buying a stake in the club and getting on the board.

Looks as though others are thinking along these lines as well: -

http://www.true-faith.co.uk/tf/editorials....B1?OpenDocument

The governance of all football clubs leaves a lot to be desired but surely a relationship between any new owner and the NUSC would be a radical and welcome move in the right direction. It would help heal the fracture there has occurred under the Shepherd-Hall and Ashley regimes at NUFC and allow the whole club – owners, directors, managers, coaches, players and supporters to move forward together. Why not give/sell supporters a meaningful 10% stake in the club and allow the authority of that stake to be exercised by a fully elected and accountable NUSC? This is a huge opportunity to build meaningful trust beyond the platitudes we usually get. Will a new owner be bold enough to take it?

Can the NUSC accommodate this into its aims???

At some point television money and the lack of competition (same teams in finals every year) will destroy football interest and then the dominoes will start to fall.

What power would 10% give NUSC?

Too much quite frankly. Simply due to the fact at the moment they don't have the support of our fans.

What power would 10% give NUSC?

Too much quite frankly. Simply due to the fact at the moment they don't have the support of our fans.

Personally I don't think 10% is enough. Also nobody is going to give the fans a stake. They are going to have to get organised and grab a slice themselves.

If a fans collective did manage to raise the finance from its membership and own part of the club, then you would have two choices. Either be part of it, in which case you would have a say in who represented you. Or not be part of it and don't have a say. Having the support of the fans doesn't even come into it.

If all football fans had the same views on a club then it would be fine- but just thinking of the people who sit around you should be enough to prove that there isn't anything close to that kind of harmonious vision.

It would only work with unanimous support, there clearly isn't that, so the discussion is dead.

I think at a lower level, supporter owned clubs can work but in the mega-money sphere it's a total non-starter.

If all football fans had the same views on a club then it would be fine- but just thinking of the people who sit around you should be enough to prove that there isn't anything close to that kind of harmonious vision.

It would only work with unanimous support, there clearly isn't that, so the discussion is dead.

I think at a lower level, supporter owned clubs can work but in the mega-money sphere it's a total non-starter.

Ok, so explain Barcelona then? Aren't they the champions of Europe or something?