Norwegian starlet Skjelbred still keen on NUFC

Angelus71

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcas...72703-23879950/

HIGHLY-rated Norwegian kid Per Ciljan Skjelbred is still desperate to join Newcastle United – despite their drop into the Championship.

And sources close to the player have suggested he would even turn down the chance of Premier League football with Sunderland to fulfil that ambition.

The Norwegian international has caught the attention of new Sunderland boss Steve Bruce, while Tottenham, Fulham and Italian outfit Torino are also tracking the 21-year-old.

But Skjelbred is watching developments at St James’s Park anxiously from afar in a bid to keep his dream of signing for United alive.

The Chronicle understands that Alan Shearer, left in limbo by United owner Mike Ashley amid a slow bidding war, is still interested in the hard-working Rosenborg playmaker and is likely to follow up that interest should he be handed the reins.

But while Shearer is understood to have already missed out on FIVE potential new signings because of the stalemate at St James’s, Skjelbred is prepared to play the waiting game.

Skjelbred has never made a secret of his love for Newcastle after supporting the Magpies from a young age and he knows that signing for the Wearsiders would decimate his chance of signing for the black-and-whites in the future.

A source close to the Norwegian 21-year-old told the Chronicle from Rosenborg: “He is unconcerned about Newcastle’s relegation, as he’s certain they’ll be back up in the Premier League after only one season in the Championship.

“And he is hoping to get to play for Alan Shearer, who is one of his heroes.

“There was talk of a move to Sunderland, but he has his heart set on Newcastle. If he doesn’t go to Newcastle, he is unlikely to sign for their greatest rivals.”

United scouted Skjelbred during the ill-fated Dennis Wise era and the reports coming back from Norway were so good that a shrewd Shearer has followed up the interest.

That connection was maintained during his eight- game spell in charge and, there would still be a good chance the Trondheim-born star would land his dream move if Shearer was appointed.

His wage demands would be a drop in the ocean compared to high earners like big money flop Fabricio Coloccini, who rakes in up to £80,000 a week, failed midfielder Joey Barton on £64,000, or veteran utility man Geremi, also on mega bucks at £58,000 a week.

In fact, Skjelbred wants no more than £8,000 per week, which would be a bargain for United, although they would have to negotiate a transfer fee of £5m.

United are also looking at Molde defender Vegard Forren, while it has emerged that Shearer received a glowing report from a high-ranked but non-technical Magpies official who jetted out to Norway to watch Erik Huseklepp in action for Brann.

However, Huseklepp’s manager Steinar Nilsen has already indicated that the winger is likely to be offloaded to central Europe this summer at a £2m fee.

mmmm "Source close to" generally means, "lets look at some old stories we can re-hash, because Real Madrid haven't confirmed a new signing in the last twenty seconds."

I watch a fair bit of nordic footy as I spend a lot of time in Finland and although he did seem a great prospect a couple of years back he's had some bad injuries and the interest he once had from big clubs had faded so I could see him coming here.

I watch a fair bit of nordic footy as I spend a lot of time in Finland and although he did seem a great prospect a couple of years back he's had some bad injuries and the interest he once had from big clubs had faded so I could see him coming here.

While I do agree with your sentiments that hes had some tough injuries, make no mistake the lad is a great prospect and EXACTLY the type of player we need. He runs his guts off every game, dont suppose you've seen the clips on the net, but hes barfed several times during games cause he runs far too much <_<

I met him when we played Lillestrøm in Norway and hes a top lad, and he genuinely want us to succeed and wont cost us astronomical sums of money.

Sign him up, I seriously doubt we'd regret it.

<_<

:lol:

check the sig :D

While I do agree with your sentiments that hes had some tough injuries, make no mistake the lad is a great prospect and EXACTLY the type of player we need. He runs his guts off every game, dont suppose you've seen the clips on the net, but hes barfed several times during games cause he runs far too much :D

I met him when we played Lillestrøm in Norway and hes a top lad, and he genuinely want us to succeed and wont cost us astronomical sums of money.

Sign him up, I seriously doubt we'd regret it.

You wanna sign him cos he barfs on the pitch? <_<

There does seem to be alot of noise about this guy, never seen him myself. If he is as good as people say and he wants to play for NUFC then snap him up. We need people who want to play for the badge!

Interest from "big clubs" may have faded but if this is actually true we should be moving mountains to sign him. A player who is still rated (by anyone but our administration) who actually wants to sign for us?

hmmmm I see thw words "£5million fee" in fact, the word "fee" should be enough to tell you we aint gonna sign him.

unless we're sold.

I honestly believe we'll unload a lot of players, and if we buy one or two £5m youngsters and flood the rest of the squad with young lads from places like Leeds and what not, we've got a better financial outlook than you credit us with. But I concede that it's all relying on Ashley finding a buyer whose ambition matches our own.

Shit anyway:

Being a Norwegian Rosenborgfan I would say that Skjelbred is nowhere near worth 5 mill. My valuation would be 2 mill. Being a very talented player when he was 18, I will say his developement hasn`t been as good as expected and what I hoped for.

He is a player who runs a lot, and he is much quicker than Guthrie, Butt and Nolan. Would say his passing is relativeley poor, so is his crossing and shooting. His goal ratios is very low, 1-2 goals pr season, so is his assist ratio. This season I will say he has been the worst performing midfielder in a Rosenborg team who is undefeated in their first 13 matches.

Also doubt that Rosenborg will sell him in the summer, as there is a big chanse that they will sell their best midfielder, the Slovakian international Marek Sapara. I would rather fancy a switch for Sapara, as he is a creative player with good shooting, passing and crossing. Sapara isn`t a player with high pace and work rate, but his contribution in attack is very good.

• 1 year later...

Todays Chronicle -

Meanwhile, reports in Norway claim Newcastle again sent scouts to check out midfielder Per Ciljan Skjelbred.

The 23-year-old has been watched by various United regimes, but none of them have made a serious bid.

Skjelbred was in action for Rosenborg in their Champions League encounter with FC Copenhagen, which the Norwegian side won 2-1

Todays Chronicle -

Meanwhile, reports in Norway claim Newcastle again sent scouts to check out midfielder Per Ciljan Skjelbred.

The 23-year-old has been watched by various United regimes, but none of them have made a serious bid.

Skjelbred was in action for Rosenborg in their Champions League encounter with FC Copenhagen, which the Norwegian side won 2-1

good creative player, loads of experience for a player his age, had a few injuries.