Newcastle United Vs Leicester

Jimbo

Guest Stevie

This was the first game to me where it totally felt like we were in the Championship. It was a shit game, really. really was, and I left the ground thinking, we've got 13 points, and never has a job of papering over cracks been done so succesfully. What I mean is, when you look at the table you would think nothings wrong, and Ashley could argue that, but everythings wrong. I don't know if the urgency even to get loan players in would be greater if we had 5 points, but when you've got Geremi left wing, a right back at centre half, a 19 year old who in the last two years looked more destined for a youth offenders home than the third biggest ground in the country, you have to worry. Yes overall we were better than Leicester, but there's very little to lift your heart there tonight.

I feel worse tonight about Mike Ashley than at any point, he is a cunt, I don't care about his other businesses, Hughton is a football man, he must have said we need another striker, he must've said that, it won't have been that difficult to get someone half decent on loan, even someone like that Jordan Rhodes. If we don't sign a few players now, we're going to start struggling, and that's a fact, these results are a horrible deceiving smoke screen. Good crowd there again that tonight 39,000, got drenched going in though, was Day After Tomorrow weather.

ps Geremi should gracefully retire.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought Ranger was canny good in the second half. Let's not forget that he's a young lad who had to play up front with Nolan, which can't be too easy for him.

Thought Leicester were a tidy outfit who caused us some problems. However, a hell of a lot of problems were as a direct result of us losing fucking posession of the fucking football!!!!! Jings, if we can sort out that problem we should do canny well.

First game of the season for me. I know I have to get my eyes tested, but is new local hero Steven Taylor carrying a bit more timber than usual ??? :lol:

Get this lads... the top story on the BBC News ticker (NOT the BBC Sport one, the main news one) is that Newcastle return to the top of the Championship with a 1-0 victory over Leicester.

We're still a small-time club mind you.... :lol:

This was the first game to me where it totally felt like we were in the Championship. It was a shit game, really. really was, and I left the ground thinking, we've got 13 points, and never has a job of papering over cracks been done so succesfully. What I mean is, when you look at the table you would think nothings wrong, and Ashley could argue that, but everythings wrong. I don't know if the urgency even to get loan players in would be greater if we had 5 points, but when you've got Geremi left wing, a right back at centre half, a 19 year old who in the last two years looked more destined for a youth offenders home than the third biggest ground in the country, you have to worry. Yes overall we were better than Leicester, but there's very little to lift your heart there tonight.

I feel worse tonight about Mike Ashley than at any point, he is a cunt, I don't care about his other businesses, Hughton is a football man, he must have said we need another striker, he must've said that, it won't have been that difficult to get someone half decent on loan, even someone like that Jordan Rhodes. If we don't sign a few players now, we're going to start struggling, and that's a fact, these results are a horrible deceiving smoke screen. Good crowd there again that tonight 39,000, got drenched going in though, was Day After Tomorrow weather.

:lol: I agree with Stevie.

Everything there is pretty much spot on.

I must have been watching a different game to everyone else as I thought Ranger was very average.

He was shit first half, with the exception of a couple of moments. He was great in the second half though, held up play very well, made a lot of good, intelligent passes and general play, was unselfish, determined, gave it his all and nearly scored a great goal within the first few minutes of the second half. Hes only 18, you can't expect him to be perfect, but as far as kids debuts go, that was a very good one.

I must have been watching a different game to everyone else as I thought Ranger was very average.

He was shit first half, with the exception of a couple of moments. He was great in the second half though, held up play very well, made a lot of good, intelligent passes and general play, was unselfish, determined, gave it his all and nearly scored a great goal within the first few minutes of the second half. Hes only 18, you can't expect him to be perfect, but as far as kids debuts go, that was a very good one.

+1

as debuts go, one of the more heartening.

Second half showed promise, mainly because of him starting to hold it up well and use it intelligently rather than just be a head down greedy type of player, he seemed to have good awareness. Way to early to say how he'll handle this division and he certainly needs a proven player up there alongside him, but he's got a chance. I did think Nolan did a respectable job up there as a sort of target man, couple of soft finishes that he should have done better on, but he did the rest of the job well.

There were times when Ranger decided to hold up the ball when I was screaming at the screen for him to shoot, he had two very good chances to shoot and waited and laid them off, both times coming to nothing, but at the same time his hold up play was pretty good.

Shite in the first half though, hes nowhere near as fast as people make him out to be also.

Definitely a result that papers over the cracks. Looking at the ratings earlier I was sure I must have clicked on a different game's thread, because there were some pretty sub-par performances out there tonight.

I think whatever was said at half time had the right effect because, make no mistake, if we'd carried on as we did in the 1st, we would not have come away with a win. There was a better understanding between the midfielders and a sharpness to our play that was missing earlier on. Certainly highlighted our lack of width and pace though

Just got back and watching second half again on $ky. Ranger had a decent debut, but imo we can't rely on him to be a goal machine. He kept working, showed some nice lay offs and was looking to retain position, but wasn't selfish enough in front of goal. Generally our passing was more effective than of late and we were able to find space. Leicester tried to close us down but when it clicked we were just a little quicker than them to the ball. It was a decent all round team performance, with Simpson looking more reliable than Sideshow Fab. The big problem for me was we'd get to the edge of the box and then not know what to do with it. Guthrie's goal was one piece of class, but most of all I agree with Stevie that we are papering over the cracks and this gives Ashley confidence that his asset stripping business model can continue. Bastard!

There were times when Ranger decided to hold up the ball when I was screaming at the screen for him to shoot, he had two very good chances to shoot and waited and laid them off, both times coming to nothing, but at the same time his hold up play was pretty good.

Shite in the first half though, hes nowhere near as fast as people make him out to be also.

He seemed reluctant to use his pace today but at one point tore one of their defs apart with a knock and run which he could do with doing more, I think he was told to hold it up tonight rather than get round the back

Way to rain on a parade. Some elements of truth there, but overall in my opinion that's as pessimistic an account of the onfield happenings this season as exaggerated as accadaccas morinic conceited belief that we'll waltz through the season untroubled.

Sure we were playing a number of players out of position, but many of them stood up and did the job that was asked of them (notably Guthrie and Simpson). We played in games last season that were much uglier than this one, so your observation that it felt like we're in the Championship now is a moot point really. There'll be much uglier games than that, but that's exactly what our opposition will want. When it comes down to it, even though we've lost a ton of experience and (arguable in some cases) quality we still have numerous players who are a class above your average Championship player. That was still the case today, even with a few injuries and absences starting to affect tha available team. We absolutely need to bring in some experienced defenders, not to mention forwards, and a winger to boot because there's a long season ahead of us. We don't really know what we've got in our youth, because the majority of them have not been played in the first team. I'm hopefully that a few quality players will emerge from those ranks (Ranger, Vuckic, Kadar, LuaLua most noteably) to help fill some of the gaps.

What most "lifted my heart" from watching this match was the effort from the majority of our players. The majority played as a team, and worked for each other. That is precisely what we were lacking last season.

Not having a dig, just stating my opinion.

He seemed reluctant to use his pace today but at one point tore one of their defs apart with a knock and run which he could do with doing more, I think he was told to hold it up tonight rather than get round the back

Can't forget that he was more or less played as a lone striker. His hold up play in my opinion was warranted, particularly as most of it came after we were in the lead.

Whats the record number of points that this division has been won by?

Not that I'm saying we can match it, just wondering.

Somewhere around 106.

You need to get at least 95 to be in for auto-promotion.

I've only just arrived at work and haven't had a chance to read the thread, so I'm sure that everyone's already pointed out that we actually played like a team, we're gonna be stuffed at Cardiff if we don't bring anyone in and ...

geremi.jpg= Grandpa-Simpson.jpg

Geremi was terrible like.

Was the one that stood out like he didn't really care (and didn't have the fitness). Possibly on the highest wage at the club as well, ridiculous.

For me it's that his legs of gone and turning round for him is as easy as it is for me to do a back flip.

It was comical when he tried to Cruyff turn after the first couple of minutes and the ball was left at least 2 meters away from him, with him facing the wrong way

Whats the record number of points that this division has been won by?

Not that I'm saying we can match it, just wondering.

Somewhere around 106.

You need to get at least 95 to be in for auto-promotion.

Thanks!

For me it's that his legs of gone and turning round for him is as easy as it is for me to do a back flip.

It was comical when he tried to Cruyff turn after the first couple of minutes and the ball was left at least 2 meters away from him, with him facing the wrong way

For me he was just a constant irritation.

Waits for ''So are you riposte'' from forum stalwart.

Very very happy. Leiceter looked a decent team considering they just came up and I think they'll do alright. We just looked better. I was a bit shaky at the beggining with the absent players and Ranger (brap) playing by himself but he was class, very impressed. Smith was very stable and if he can keep playing like that more power. Think we need to give Barton a bit more of a chance. I know he's a dick and he's too aggressive (to say the least) but he could do a job if he gets his sharpness back. MOM for me was Ranger (brap) but it was a good performance.