Newcastle United Vs Leicester

Jimbo

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if Steve Brenner actually watched the match.

I think it's more likely he watched the highlights with a six pack of Carling and a curry balanced on his capacious gut, before rattling off this article on toilet paper while pinching off his daily loaf.

Harper 7.5 - Cleared everything that came his way, wasnt too troubled because they lacked the final product in the box.

Raylor 6.5 - Very below-par performance, hardly a threat and was too hesitant inside his own area.

Simpson 7 - Not a centre back, but with the presence of Saylor beside him helped alot.

Saylor 8 - Tackled and gained the ball and possession more than one occassion, easily the league's best defender.

Enrique 7 - I felt he could have done better with his crosses today, got caught once or twice, but defended the left flank very well.

Guthrie 8 - Played very well, dictated passing, started the game on the left then switched on the right. A stunner of a goal as well, very well taken.

Smith 8 - Led by example, and dare I say it, looks like hes going to be our "Gattuso" sort of player this season. Hes already got the beard.

Geremi 6.5 - Nothing really special, cant cross properly but his short distance ground passes were OK.

Nolan 7 - Could have easily scored two goals, but his finishing was bad, both his shots on target were simply shots directed to the keeper.

Ranger 9 - MOTM for me, help up the ball brilliantly, passed brilliantly, was a constant threat AND was never outmuscled.

Subs werent on long enough tbh, but another good performance because of a very consistent backline thats too good for the league, thats 4 clean sheets in a row now, and dont forget WBA's goal was simply a scramble on the touch line.

Barton was average but to leave him out all together is harsh.

The subs for the time they were on the field, really needed to put in more effort, regardless of the fact they are young lads.

Dutty Custard looks like he has more than enough potential but needs someone beside him from what I saw.

This was the first game to me where it totally felt like we were in the Championship. It was a shit game, really. really was, and I left the ground thinking, we've got 13 points, and never has a job of papering over cracks been done so succesfully. What I mean is, when you look at the table you would think nothings wrong, and Ashley could argue that, but everythings wrong. I don't know if the urgency even to get loan players in would be greater if we had 5 points, but when you've got Geremi left wing, a right back at centre half, a 19 year old who in the last two years looked more destined for a youth offenders home than the third biggest ground in the country, you have to worry. Yes overall we were better than Leicester, but there's very little to lift your heart there tonight.

I feel worse tonight about Mike Ashley than at any point, he is a cunt, I don't care about his other businesses, Hughton is a football man, he must have said we need another striker, he must've said that, it won't have been that difficult to get someone half decent on loan, even someone like that Jordan Rhodes. If we don't sign a few players now, we're going to start struggling, and that's a fact, these results are a horrible deceiving smoke screen. Good crowd there again that tonight 39,000, got drenched going in though, was Day After Tomorrow weather.

ps Geremi should gracefully retire.

Post of the match thread. It's obvious to all but the Dekka Llambarse and Walter supporters.

Ashley was in the stands too to see for himself that fresh, experienced faces are badly needed to maintain a promotion push.

Problem is all Ashley would have seen is 3 points, top of the table and the back of his daughter's head as she was sticking her tongue down here boyfriend's neck. cunt.

This was the first game to me where it totally felt like we were in the Championship. It was a shit game, really. really was, and I left the ground thinking, we've got 13 points, and never has a job of papering over cracks been done so succesfully. What I mean is, when you look at the table you would think nothings wrong, and Ashley could argue that, but everythings wrong. I don't know if the urgency even to get loan players in would be greater if we had 5 points, but when you've got Geremi left wing, a right back at centre half, a 19 year old who in the last two years looked more destined for a youth offenders home than the third biggest ground in the country, you have to worry. Yes overall we were better than Leicester, but there's very little to lift your heart there tonight.

I feel worse tonight about Mike Ashley than at any point, he is a cunt, I don't care about his other businesses, Hughton is a football man, he must have said we need another striker, he must've said that, it won't have been that difficult to get someone half decent on loan, even someone like that Jordan Rhodes. If we don't sign a few players now, we're going to start struggling, and that's a fact, these results are a horrible deceiving smoke screen. Good crowd there again that tonight 39,000, got drenched going in though, was Day After Tomorrow weather.

You're bang on Stevie. Its a fucking piss take. Aye sure. we're top and have conceded 1 goal. But does that make things ok? Does it bollocks. As I said in another thread. Im not fooled because our tails are up at the moment. Give it a couple of weeks, when our tails and then maybe heads drop and we're wondering where the hell a goal can come from. Owen, Viduka, Martins, Xisco (out) & Shola and Carroll injured. How many forwards brought in? None. Unbelievable.

You must have been impressed by Rangers calmness and vision and ability to hold onto the ball with two or three around him?

Way to rain on a parade. Some elements of truth there, but overall in my opinion that's as pessimistic an account of the onfield happenings this season as exaggerated as accadaccas morinic conceited belief that we'll waltz through the season untroubled.

Sure we were playing a number of players out of position, but many of them stood up and did the job that was asked of them (notably Guthrie and Simpson). We played in games last season that were much uglier than this one, so your observation that it felt like we're in the Championship now is a moot point really. There'll be much uglier games than that, but that's exactly what our opposition will want. When it comes down to it, even though we've lost a ton of experience and (arguable in some cases) quality we still have numerous players who are a class above your average Championship player. That was still the case today, even with a few injuries and absences starting to affect tha available team. We absolutely need to bring in some experienced defenders, not to mention forwards, and a winger to boot because there's a long season ahead of us. We don't really know what we've got in our youth, because the majority of them have not been played in the first team. I'm hopefully that a few quality players will emerge from those ranks (Ranger, Vuckic, Kadar, LuaLua most noteably) to help fill some of the gaps.

What most "lifted my heart" from watching this match was the effort from the majority of our players. The majority played as a team, and worked for each other. That is precisely what we were lacking last season.

Not having a dig, just stating my opinion.

I'm the eternal optimist me mate, I'm just saying things as I see them, we're not as much down to the bare bones, as hiding our legs in case the dogs can see them, and unless we get FOUR players in, reality will bite soon, that is a fact.

Edited by Stevie

You must have been impressed by Rangers calmness and vision and ability to hold onto the ball with two or three around him?

I was thinking to myself I wonder if he realises peoples thoughts about him, the more rash ones, will have begun to be cemented already based on two performances. Mine isn't, but apparently he got MOTM, on SKY (Smith got it inside), well in the first half he somewhat understandably looked like a rabbit in the headlights. Second half he laid some decent balls off, and did an admiral job foraging away. An encouraging effort, but absolutely no reason at all given to get carried away.

I was going to comment on the game but reading over some of the ratings etc I appear to have been at a completely different game so I'll just leave it. What I will say is a wins a win, and thank the lord this division is piss poor.

Totally agree about Ranger Stevie. Not having a dig at the lad in any way but it was an encouraging 2nd half performance after a 1st half in which he struggled (albeit understandably, given he would probably benefit from playing with a target man). That's not bad for a full league debut by any means. 9 out of 10 though? ;) People need to calm the fuck down tbh because the last thing he needs is the weight of expectation at this very early stage in his NUFC career.

Edited by alex

Aye, Ranger had a decent game. Thrown in right at the deep end as a single forward. I thought he worked hard and played some simple but effective stuff, holding the ball up etc. Shows good promise but still has a hell of a long way to go. I'd still be dropping him as soon as other options came and bring him on gradually (what other options????). Certainly doesnt need a huge weight of expectation and the predictable grief if he has a shocker for two games.

Totally agree about Ranger Stevie. Not having a dig at the lad in any way but it was an encouraging 2nd half performance after a 1st half in which he struggled (albeit understandably, given he would probably benefit from playing with a target man). That's not bad for a full league debut by any means. 9 out of 10 though? ;) People need to calm the fuck down tbh because the last thing he needs is the weight of expectation at this very early stage in his NUFC career.

Thank the lord for sanity. Ranger to me looks like an honest clogger.

For me it's that his legs of gone and turning round for him is as easy as it is for me to do a back flip.

It was comical when he tried to Cruyff turn after the first couple of minutes and the ball was left at least 2 meters away from him, with him facing the wrong way

For me he was just a constant irritation.

Waits for ''So are you riposte'' from forum stalwart.

So are you etc ;)

When I heard the team I almost choked as Geremi's name was read out. I honestly thought he had long gone :cry:

For me it's that his legs of gone and turning round for him is as easy as it is for me to do a back flip.

It was comical when he tried to Cruyff turn after the first couple of minutes and the ball was left at least 2 meters away from him, with him facing the wrong way

So are you etc ;)

When I heard the team I almost choked as Geremi's name was read out. I honestly thought he had long gone :cry:

Geremi oh dear, nothing more needs to be said. He's the most unathletic black bloke ever in history. Nelson Mandela would've given us more pace, drive and purpose down that left wing.

So are you etc ;)

Geremi oh dear, nothing more needs to be said. He's the most unathletic black bloke ever in history. Nelson Mandela would've given us more pace, drive and purpose down that left wing.

He didn't even seem to know where he was half the time. Can't believe this guy played for Madrid.

You're bang on Stevie. Its a fucking piss take. Aye sure. we're top and have conceded 1 goal. But does that make things ok? Does it bollocks. As I said in another thread. Im not fooled because our tails are up at the moment. Give it a couple of weeks, when our tails and then maybe heads drop and we're wondering where the hell a goal can come from. Owen, Viduka, Martins, Xisco (out) & Shola and Carroll injured. How many forwards brought in? None. Unbelievable.

Spot on. It's great to be winning again but how long will that last? I caught an interview with Hughton when I got in last night on SSN and when asked if he would like the job permanently he said words to the effect that it's great to be manager when things are running smoothly but he doubts his ability to turn things round when things (inevitably) go wrong. Got to say I agree and admire his honesty, and appreciate what he has done for the club this summer. We'll miss promotion for the sake of a few million quid investment (which we have made in sales) imo.

Shearer there tonight, in a pink jumper.

Puff. :cry:

Tell you what - Shearer is a fan, it's not surprising he was there last night. Same can be said for Moat. But it's only because I caught the match report on SSN earlier that I was aware Dowie was there too. That to me is very encouraging - his only link with this football club was the 8 games he was assistant to Shearer last season.

I may be clutching massive straws but maybe his attendance is a big pointer of what's about to happen? ;)