Guivarc'h - Worst Striker In Premiership History

Craig

Former Newcastle player - and let us not forget, World Cup winner - Stephane Guivarc'h has not responded well to the Mail newspaper voting him the worst striker in the history of the Premier League:

"It is truly a c**p newspaper - how can they say that? At Newcastle I only played four matches, two as sub. And I scored one goal - against Liverpool.

"After two games Kenny Dalglish, who had signed me and wanted me to play alongside Alan Shearer, quit. Ruud Gullit arrived and immediately stuck me in a cupboard out of the way. Never had a coach treated me this way before.

"After six months I left for Rangers. I wanted to link up against with Lionel Charbonnier and the day I signed, he tore his knee ligaments.

In the Scottish Cup Final I scored and made a goal. But my ankle was already giving me problems.

"My mistake without doubt was leaving Newcastle too soon. Although it was tough at the time, Gullit completely cut me off. Once he was a player down for a game. He came and found me but then left me kicking my heels for a quarter of an hour.

"I was ready to help him out. Gullit operated an antiquated recruitment policy at Newcastle. He moved on after a year. His wife was living in Holland and he would only come to England on Wednesdays and matchdays. You could say he was just a tourist.

"'Today, Newcastle are languishing in the second division.

"'This survey in the Daily Mail, I don't give a damn about it. Where I am now, no one mentions it. The article did irritate me and leave a mark on me. But it was done just to tease and mock me. What a story - a truly pointless stunt.

"But let's get to the point. The English. What have they won since the World Cup in 1966? They probably invented the game but they would do better focusing on their own national team because they have made no real progress for a very long time."

:lol::D :D

Editor: "Worst striker in premier history but only played four games?"

Journo: "He signed for Noocarsell after the World cup."

Editor: "Oh! He played for Noocarsell? Put him in then."

Journo: "I don't fink he was a messiah."

Editor: "Ah, just put 'im in. 'so-called' called best fans my arse."

I don't think the article merits the effort but if I could be bothered I could think of a dozen strikers who proved over a longer period that they were woeful footballers.

I do remember, however, that Guivarc'h netted for us in that infamous 4-1 mauling at home by Liverpool that heralded that the start of Gullit's regime (although he just watched from the stands IIRC), and a certain M Owen scored 3. How I wished that kid played for us, and how times have changed!

I don't think the article merits the effort but if I could be bothered I could think of a dozen strikers who proved over a longer period that they were woeful footballers.

I do remember, however, that Guivarc'h netted for us in that infamous 4-1 mauling at home by Liverpool that heralded that the start of Gullit's regime (although he just watched from the stands IIRC), and a certain M Owen scored 3. How I wished that kid played for us, and how times have changed!

From about 3 yards out iirc.

From about 3 yards out iirc.

Right place, right time. :lol:

Aye :lol:

I agree he shouldn't have been voted worst btw. I mean, if you're going to have someone who barely played you'd have to say it was Ali Dia.

Ciccio Grabbi and Per Pedersen are worth being put forward on Blackburn's behalf along with the collosal flop that was Kevin Davies (Kaba Diawara was worse, but we were in the 1st division then). As for other clubs, what about Marco Boogers of West Ham who made more of an impression on Gary Neville's thigh than in the scoring department, then buggered off to a caravan in Holland. And of course, there is the Italian Stallion himself..............Andrea Silenzi.