Blackburn trio contract swine flu

Craig

Blackburn boss Sam Allardyce confirmed three members of his squad were ill with swine flu ahead of Tuesday's Carling Cup tie against Peterborough.

There are now believed to be five cases at the club in total.

"We have had one more case this morning, one more player and there are a couple of staff," said Allardyce, who refused to name the players concerned.

Reports had suggested Rovers would seek to postpone Tuesday's tie but the game at Ewood Park is set to go ahead.

Allardyce had earlier told the club's official website: "David Dunn and Chris Samba have a virus."

Both Dunn and Samba were missing from Blackburn's squad for the 5-0 defeat at Chelsea on Saturday.

Asked whether they were two of the players suffering from swine flu, Allardyce stated: "It's definitely swine flu - you've speculated on the names and I'll leave it at that."

Allardyce said Blackburn had only decided to play the fixture at Stamford Bridge because they were bound to do so by Premier League rules, and admitted there was a chance the virus could have been passed on.

"The Premier League has tried to sit on the fence by saying that we didn't request to have the game called off," Allardyce said.

"We knew we couldn't get the game called off because we were told way back in February or March when we took some guidelines that unless there was some government legislation, everybody had to do whatever they had to do.

"If there was a swine flu outbreak, you couldn't call a game off, no matter what.

"We fulfilled our responsibility by confirming two cases of swine flu and suggesting that it looks like one or two other players and members of staff had similar symptoms, and we made the same phone call to Chelsea."

Asked about the danger of it spreading on a match day, Allardyce said: "It's a highly contagious strain as everybody knows but I can't comment any further than that."

Blackburn would have needed to apply for special dispensation from the Football League to postpone the Carling Cup match but are happy to go-ahead with the game.

Rovers club secretary Andrew Pincher confirmed: "There has been speculation in the national media following confirmation of sickness within the camp but we can reassure all supporters that the tie will go ahead as planned."

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ers/8325606.stm

:P

The bits I've highlighted in bold are comic gold. Refused to name the players concerned but then admitted to their own website that Samba and Dunn had gone down with a virus... :P

Reminds me of this....

The bits I've highlighted in bold are comic gold. Refused to name the players concerned but then admitted to their own website that Samba and Dunn had gone down with a virus... :P

Reminds me of this....

:P

Ryan Nelsen better not get it, we need him for our worls cup play off November 14 against Bahrain!!

Indeed, Nelsen would be a huge loss.

If NZ beat Bahrain, the "All Whites" qualify for the World Cup. Would be a massive achievement if they qualify - total population of 4 million, one professional footy team and most blokes play rugby union or league (the ones who aren't fishing or tinkering with cars). The match is at home, so fingers crossed.

Gary Megson's trying to 'gazump' Big Sam... :P

Chelsea say they are unconcerned about claims from Blackburn manager Sam Allardyce that his players could have passed on swine flu to the Blues squad.

Allardyce's side lost 5-0 to Chelsea on Saturday after which he confirmed three of his players are ill with the virus.

Chelsea have told BBC Sport their medical department are taking precautions to ensure the health and well-being of the players.

Meanwhile, Bolton have revealed four of their players recovered from the virus.

Gary Megson's Bolton side play Chelsea in the Carling Cup fourth round on Wednesday.

And when asked if he was worried about his players coming into contact with Chelsea's, Megson said: "Not from that perspective because I've heard varying opinions.

"I think the one we all need to listen to is that from the medical people, who are saying that it is very difficult, if not impossible, to contract it in that way.

"From our own point of view, you're not going to be a business with quite a few employees and it totally escapes you.

"You are going to get one or two with swine flu and I think on the playing staff I think we have had five, four players and one member of staff.

"You try and do your best to avoid it but I would imagine it's near enough impossible.

"They are all okay at the moment, but it wouldn't be right to start giving you names."

There are now believed to be five cases in total at Blackburn and Allardyce says Chelsea could be the next club to be affected by swine flu.

"There is no doubt about that," Allardyce said.

"When you look at the medical side of it, it is one of the most infectious viruses we have had."

Manchester United, who host Blackburn on Saturday, refused to comment while Rovers' Carling Cup game at Peterborough will go ahead on Tuesday.

Allardyce has questioned the wisdom of the Premier League letting Saturday's match at Stamford Bridge proceed, after Blackburn informed them of the first two cases of swine flu in their squad.

But the Premier League say it is guided by the relevant statutory authorities. and have told club's to seek advice from the relevant government authorities.

The Premier League have also told BBC Sport that they do not anticipate at this stage a situation where any game will be postponed as a result of swine flu.

But Allardyce believes the Premier League are shirking responsibility.

He said: "They know that we went through the right procedures and that we did not call it off because we couldn't."

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...sea/8327576.stm

Did we try to get our game against Boro postponed when we had an outbreak of conjunctevitus in the squad?

Think we made an enquiry about it to the PL if the outbreak was to get any worse. Remember the Smogs getting their knickers in a twist about it, which was a bit rich with their record of cancelling games :P

Relegation material this term.

Don't think so. Hull and Portsmouth are real relegation material at the moment, whilst I'd say Wolves, West Ham or Burnley will take the last spot. We'll not be brilliant, but we'll be around 12th-16th. Not bad considering we're skint.

As for Boro, when they cancelled that game against us some time in the mid-to-late 90's because of flu, there was a story I heard that it was because of all sorts of internal problems. The story goes that Emerson pissed off to Brazil and came back with his bit on the side, and the Brazilian love machine was also knocking off another player's wife. Add to that Ravenelli's huge ego and the dressing room was a bonfire. To cope with this, Robbo got plastered in a wine bar in Manchester, had a fight and spent a night in the cells.

Of course, that'll all be bollocks, but you can see where that footballers wives came from.

The Hill Trolls need to maintain the Premier League adrenaline as long as possible in order to keep up. Their squad is even worse thinner than ours, and those who are playing for them are at best fit for your bench. And their goalie, Brian 'the beast' Jensen is outdoing Gomes in the mental and panicy behaviour. Their only real asset is the manager, who seems to have the potential to go very far with a real team. Just watch them fall around December.