Larndan

wykikitoon

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last time I was there was for a Business trip through the college. We went for about 3-4 days and I enjoyed it, although it wasn't that long, I thought it was good.

I have to say though, Paris is better, I loved Paris, although I've only been to both 2-3 times. (Outside of football)

I think if you're from a backward countryside place like Chester Le Street or Lincoln, you're never going to like London. I think most people from Northern places, go there for the first time determined to fulfill their preconceived ideas that London is a shithole full of ignorant rude people.

:lol:

I think if you're from a backward countryside place like Chester Le Street or Lincoln, you're never going to like London. I think most people from Northern places, go there for the first time determined to fulfill their preconceived ideas that London is a shithole full of ignorant rude people.

It is they who are ignorant. London is my second home more than anywhere else, I know it almost as well as Tyneside, got lots of family there and been going regularly since I was a kid. The people who you see in Central London, the slight majority of them are tourists, and many who aren't, aren't even Londoners. You need to understand, London in some regards is seen as the most important city in the world, it is a true global city, like New York, where by you have every culture in the world intermingling. If you knew true London people you would know many of them are some the most generous down to earth funny people you will ever meet. There are many cunts in London, but there will be given the nature of it, but I love the place, I could never live there full time as it's too fuckin busy for me to work in Central London every day, and I hate the tube, but you couldn't judge London on twenty visits let alone one.

There are times you're in London, places like Greenwich Park on a lovely summers day, and you wouldn't want to be anywhere else in the world trust me. People who know London though they must agree, that there is a generic Northern stubborn view born out of nothing but ignorance.

I lived in London for 5 years in the 90s and wouldn't recommend it as a place to live based on that experience. Overcrowded, dirty, overpriced, overrated, maybe it's changed now. I loved living there initially, but after about 4 years I'd had enough and moved on. On the plus side it's buzzy, interesting and brimming with culture and history but better to visit.

I'm with Stevie on this. Great place to live, incredibly vital and varied place. Genuinely international feel to the place. Sure it's got tossers, but so has everywhere, unfortunately the more popular tourist bits invite more wanker behaviour.

Unsurprisingly if you don't like bustle, and prefer a more sedate speed you're not going to like London, nor any metropolis really. You've got to take the time to find the nooks and crannies of the place to really "get it" if you're going to live there. Wandering around Covent Garden and Trafalgar square will only get you bothered by tourists, annoyed by street performers/beggars and over-charged for everything. Pop to the parks, take in "real" London and I reckon you'd very much enjoy our capital.

If you're touristing it up, I suppose it's best to come off season when there are less tourists around but also try and find someone who really knows the place; a relative or friend, who can either give you an itinerary or take you round themselves. Just don't do stupid things like go shopping on Oxford Street on a Saturday, or arrange for your train to arrive at Kings Cross at around 17:00.

You would judge someone who tried to drive down Pink Lane minutes after the final whistle goes, so understand why a businessman gets shirty when you're dawdling down the escalator when it states quite clearly for you to stand to the right.

Reckon I wont live here more than five years max as by then I'd want to be starting a family and I don't want my kids growing up with the accent down here, or taking the city for granted and missing out on the countryside.

Stevie, I would agree.

The ignorant people I came accross were the toursists. I should of made that more clear in my IP. Especially the Russian slut in 'arrods who barged past me and when I said "Oh excuse me" she didnt look happy!

Ant, you obviously have got too used to decent bar staff in Eire. Its shocking here in Leeds. I was in Harrogate the other week with the gfriend and the bar staff there were shite!

There is a lot to do but once you have done your commute 10 times a week you aren't interested in slogging through the tourists at the weekend.

This.

Stevie, I would agree.

The ignorant people I came accross were the toursists. I should of made that more clear in my IP. Especially the Russian slut in 'arrods who barged past me and when I said "Oh excuse me" she didnt look happy!

Ant, you obviously have got too used to decent bar staff in Eire. Its shocking here in Leeds. I was in Harrogate the other week with the gfriend and the bar staff there were shite!

My experience was the other way around, met some Australians and some lads from the Shetlands who was good craic.

I didn't meet any cockneys though from what I remember=(

Naw that Barman was fine, i was just amazed there was an actual queue... i don't mean people spread out along the bar and he remembered who was next, there was a line like in a shop. :lol:

:rolleyes: "Next please"

:huff:

I spend a lot of time in London and I am used to the lack of manners.

Southerners have no concept of queuing for public transport.

As Wiki said, helping other people out is rare as well. The amount of times I have seen a woman struggling up a flight of stairs with a buggy.....

As Fish said try to avoid the tourist nightmares. Visit Regents Park on a summers day, climb Primrose Hill.

London can be a tourist hell and super expensive. But if you know where to go it can be very cheap. China Town and Brick Lane are fantastic value.

An immense city to visit tbf in terms of heritage, culture, entertainment and practically anything you care to mention.

Terrible post-Blitz architecture makes it look horribly average in many places though (anything up to the reatively recent re-building projects in fact). Looked fucking dreadful in American Werewolf last night on Five. Jenny Agutter aside, obviously.

An immense city to visit tbf in terms of heritage, culture, entertainment and practically anything you care to mention.

Terrible post-Blitz architecture makes it look horribly average in many places though (anything up to the reatively recent re-building projects in fact). Looked fucking dreadful in American Werewolf last night on Five. Jenny Agutter aside, obviously.

I've always thought the area between Waterloo and London Bridge has horrific architecture, epitomised by Guy's Hospital which for my money is the biggest architectural eyesore in the UK.

Been here 3½ years and the novelty of seeing the Houses of Parliament every time I get the train into town hasn't worn off yet. Say what you like about it - and god knows it has its bad points along with the good - it's still a Weltstadt and there's a reason tourists swarm to the place.

I've always thought the area between Waterloo and London Bridge has horrific architecture, epitomised by Guy's Hospital which for my money is the biggest architectural eyesore in the UK.

There's some horrific concrete stuff there (although I suppose we have Pearl Assurance House and the building above the old Odeon, so...). That stretch of the riverfront also has the Tate Modern, the Globe, the Golden Hind and the like, though, so at least there's some redemption.

There's some horrific concrete stuff there (although I suppose we have Pearl Assurance House and the building above the old Odeon, so...). That stretch of the riverfront also has the Tate Modern, the Globe, the Golden Hind and the like, though, so at least there's some redemption.

Aye but back from there south 100 yards...oh dear. You ever been to that place along the river with all the virtual reality games.

Aye but back from there south 100 yards...oh dear.

Wouldn't argue with that for a moment. I only ever take visitors along the South Bank, the rest is best left ignored. :lol:

You ever been to that place along the river with all the virtual reality games.

In a word, no. Where's that like? (Other than along the river, obviously. :rolleyes:)

Wouldn't argue with that for a moment. I only ever take visitors along the South Bank, the rest is best left ignored. :lol:

In a word, no. Where's that like? (Other than along the river, obviously. :rolleyes:)

It's beside where all those little rent boys play on their skateboards. I think there's a pictures near by too.

You aint seen Bridgewater Place then?

bridgwater_place_wa261108.jpg

Wouldn't argue with that for a moment. I only ever take visitors along the South Bank, the rest is best left ignored. :rolleyes:

In a word, no. Where's that like? (Other than along the river, obviously. :huff:)

It's beside where all those little rent boys play on their skateboards. I think there's a pictures near by too.

Oh, some of them don't charge. :lol: Part of the concrete hell that used to be Cardboard City then? The whole thing is some kind of brutalist virtual reality nightmare so I suppose it's appropriate.