Owner set to reopen talks with prospective Newcastle buyers

TheMoog

MIKE ASHLEY is ready to reopen talks about selling Newcastle next month.

The controversial Toon owner blocked Barry Moat's bid to take control last month when he pulled out of a sale at the 11th hour.

However, Ashley has told those who tried to sell the club in the summer he is prepared to begin negotiations again once the transfer window opens.

Already new parties, including one from America, have made contact. Ashley knows he could double his price to around £150million at the end of the season if Newcastle go back up to the Premier League.

But a January sale would allow him to concentrate on the forthcoming case with the Serious Fraud investigation over alleged price-fixing.

Moat has still to give up his dream of taking over at St James' Park.

If true isn't it just so very coincidental that it coincides with the next transfer window... I'm getting dejavu ;)

Can someone explain to me how and why a club which was unsellable 2 months ago at 80 million will somehow (promotion permitting) may well be worth worth a reported 150 million in 5 months time with the same players and a major rebuilding job required? It just doesnt make any sense.

In saying that now is the time for any buyer who is tempted to come in...promotion looking more than likely and they apparently wouldnt have to pay nearly twice as much as the club as they wouldve done a couple of months back....but I'm not holding my breath ;)

Can someone explain to me how and why a club which was unsellable 2 months ago at 80 million will somehow (promotion permitting) may well be worth worth a reported 150 million in 5 months time with the same players and a major rebuilding job required? It just doesnt make any sense...

;)

Agreed, but it doesn't help when rentaquote pundits like Claridge claim that our current squad would probably do a better job in the Prem than last season's.

Ashley knows he could double his price to around £150million at the end of the season if Newcastle go back up to the Premier League.

Why?

That's £12m more than he paid for it, the squad is worth a quarter of what it was if he's lucky, crowds are down 20%, season ticket sales are at their lowest in decades as are corporate box sales and advertising, there's a worldwide recession, other premier league clubs can't pay their players wages and we're as likely to be relegated next season as we are to go up this.

He'd be better off pocketing the £40m and sitting on his investment. Butt and Geremi are out of contract next season so that'll be the end of the most egregiously overpaid players he inherited. His cost cutting, profit maximising plan will havve reached fruition...and at that point he's going to sell?

Fat fuck is here for the long haul.

Butt and Geremi are out of contract next season so that'll be the end of the most egregiously overpaid players he inherited.

Just thought about what those two cost the club, and I reckon it's at least £6m a season, more likely to be getting on for £8m ;)

He didn't inherit Geremi btw so it's another one down to FMA re: the daft contract. Same actually goes for Butt (sort of) as he's had a new deal since the new owner arrived, although I would imagine he's on less than he was when he first arrived. Agree with your main points though.

Edited by alex

He didn't inherit Geremi btw so it's another one down to FMA re: the daft contract. Same actually goes for Butt (sort of) as he's had a new deal since the new owner arrived, although I would imagine he's on less than he was when he first arrived. Agree with your main points though.

Right you are.

Right you are.

Sorry for being pedantic ;) It was more the fact Shepherd is (rightly) credited with giving players crazy contracts but all (or virtually all) the ones at the club are now down to the man who was supposed to be putting right the business side of things.

Right you are.

Sorry for being pedantic ;) It was more the fact Shepherd is (rightly) credited with giving players crazy contracts but all (or virtually all) the ones at the club are now down to the man who was supposed to be putting right the business side of things.

Totally agree. Wasn't supposed to sound huffy if it did. :(

No mate, I just thought I'd explain why I brought that up as I hate it when people pull you up on stuff and miss your main point. Proper love-in this like ;)

No mate, I just thought I'd explain why I brought that up as I hate it when people pull you up on stuff and miss your main point. Proper love-in this like ;)

Now that you mention it, he's approved new contracts for Ameobi, Taylor and Harper too hasn't he?

There's no virtually about it. You were right to say all the players at the club are on wages he sanctioned himself.

Now that you mention it, he's approved new contracts for Ameobi, Taylor and Harper too hasn't he?

There's no virtually about it. You were right to say all the players at the club are on wages he sanctioned himself.

Let's not forget the hoo-hah about Taylor's contract, and the wages being the stumbling block. Maybe, just maybe, LardAsh actually deserves a tiny bit of credit for getting Taylor to sign for more realistic wages (though we don't know exactly how much he's on) ?

Let's not forget the hoo-hah about Taylor's contract, and the wages being the stumbling block. Maybe, just maybe, LardAsh actually deserves a tiny bit of credit for getting Taylor to sign for more realistic wages (though we don't know exactly how much he's on) ?

The point is they still apportion blame incorrectly. Like 4 weeks ago when Llambias said...

We've got the highest wage bill in the Championship. Mike inherited a very heavy wage bill and still has some hefty players to pay.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastl...61634-25095669/

It's a false argument when it's Ashley's signature on every contract at the club.

Edited by Happy Face