Top Posters In This Topic

Proper bungalow this kid like :icon_lol:

you what?

He means you've got nowt upstairs.

yeah thats right i know nothing..hahaha

you're too prolific for your own good lad

Edited by LeazesMag

He is vital to the current team but is not as good as Charles N'Zogbia

i agree mate...one of the biggest things that pissed me off was when duff was injured we played charlie boy and duff got fit again and we stopped playing charlie.i dont blame him for leaving

He is vital to the current team but is not as good as Charles N'Zogbia

i agree mate...one of the biggest things that pissed me off was when duff was injured we played charlie boy and duff got fit again and we stopped playing charlie.i dont blame him for leaving

Charlie was playing gash at the time though.

• 7 months later...
Barca ace Messi insists his team-mate is as good as anyone in England’s top-flight – including Wayne Rooney and World Cup winners Cesc Fabregas and Fernando Torres.

He said: “The Premier League have not seen it yet but Jonas is one of the best players in the league.

“I know you guys have Rooney, Fabregas, Torres and many more stars – but Jonas is as good as any of them.

“I am backing him to show it this season. Maradona calls him one of the three most important players in the Argentina squad and I think he is right – that is how good he is.

“It takes time for a player to adjust to a new country and he has now been there long enough to show his true form.

“By the end of the season I would expect the very best teams in Europe to be trying to sign him.

“But he told me during the World Cup that, as long as Newcastle stay in the top-flight, he would like to finish his career there.” ;)

But Messi reckons he is better at creating goals.

He added: “I would expect the Spider-Man mask to be out quite a few times this season but his real talent comes in creating goals.

“He is a fantastic winger, can beat players with ease and is a fantastic crosser of the ball.

“If Newcastle have one or two good target men, I think they can have a really good season because Jonas will create a lot of chances for the strikers. :cuppa:

“He can fire Newcastle to a top-six finish and win the player of the season award above names like Rooney.”

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/1...-and-Fabregas-/?

Barca ace Messi insists his team-mate is as good as anyone in England’s top-flight – including Wayne Rooney and World Cup winners Cesc Fabregas and Fernando Torres.

He said: “The Premier League have not seen it yet but Jonas is one of the best players in the league.

“I know you guys have Rooney, Fabregas, Torres and many more stars – but Jonas is as good as any of them.

“I am backing him to show it this season. Maradona calls him one of the three most important players in the Argentina squad and I think he is right – that is how good he is.

“It takes time for a player to adjust to a new country and he has now been there long enough to show his true form.

“By the end of the season I would expect the very best teams in Europe to be trying to sign him.

“But he told me during the World Cup that, as long as Newcastle stay in the top-flight, he would like to finish his career there.” :rolleyes:

But Messi reckons he is better at creating goals.

He added: “I would expect the Spider-Man mask to be out quite a few times this season but his real talent comes in creating goals.

“He is a fantastic winger, can beat players with ease and is a fantastic crosser of the ball.

“If Newcastle have one or two good target men, I think they can have a really good season because Jonas will create a lot of chances for the strikers. :cuppa:

“He can fire Newcastle to a top-six finish and win the player of the season award above names like Rooney.”

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/1...-and-Fabregas-/?

Believe it when I see it ;)

• 1 month later...

Apologies for bumping this, i was comtemplating this while on the shitter earlier.................

I'm starting to think it's best Hughton converts him into a more attack-minded right-back. With him filling the right-back slot [over Perch] we lose little, or nothing, defensively. The trade-off being we gain more run & carry out of the back from the right-back slot, and with Enrique already delivering technique-based play [posession retention, efficient short-based passing] in spades we'll finally have that left-right balance/width in our own 1/3.

With lacked this overall balance since the days of Distin/Bernard-Hughes, and it was a strong feature of KK's sides - having technically proficient book-ends at both full-back slots, effectively providing a pair of 1st receiving outlets for the central defensive pairing thus alleviating the defensive pressure apllied to our deep playing transition passer [now Tiote]. Forces opposing outfields to defend a little wider, left-right that is, and makes their zonal defending strikers/forwards work harder for their pounds.

This may be the ideal way to maximise Jonas' greatest attribute, his ability to retain the pill. And as shown in the LC via his corner [and his debut against Man Utd] he can cross when given time & space. Attacking from a deeper slot [whether spotting our forwards in the box & crossing from a deeper position, or as the extra man when overlapping] he'll get that dual combination of extra time on the ball & extra creative space, and more importantly delivering his final ball via his preferred and natural right foot as opposed to his scattershot & weak left-peg.

Edited by Year Zero

Apologies for bumping this, i was comtemplating this while on the shitter earlier.................

I'm starting to think it's best Hughton converts him into a more attack-minded right-back. With him filling the right-back slot [over Perch] we lose little, or nothing, defensively. The trade-off being we gain more run & carry out of the back from the right-back slot, and with Enrique already delivering technique-based play [posession retention, efficient short-based passing] in spades we'll finally have that left-right balance/width in our own 1/3.

With lacked this overall balance since the days of Distin/Bernard-Hughes, and it was a strong feature of KK's sides - having technically proficient book-ends at both full-back slots, effectively providing a pair of 1st receiving outlets for the central defensive pairing thus alleviating the defensive pressure apllied to our deep playing transition passer [now Tiote]. Forces opposing outfields to defend a little wider, left-right that is, and makes their zonal defending strikers/forwards work harder for their pounds.

This may be the ideal way to maximise Jonas' greatest attribute, his ability to retain the pill. And as shown in the LC via his corner [and his debut against Man Utd] he can cross when given time & space. Attacking from a deeper slot [whether spotting our forwards in the box & crossing from a deeper position, or as the extra man when overlapping] he'll get that dual combination of extra time on the ball & extra creative space, and more importantly delivering his final ball via his preferred and natural right foot as opposed to his scattershot & weak left-peg.

Im really tired so i'l tell you what i think in bullet points:

@ Maradonna tried this and he didnt really provide much attacking or defensively.

@ Perch is better defensively than gutierez, but that doesnt say much about perch tbh.

@ Perch is getting better with each game so would be silly to drop him at this stage.

@ Playing gutierez at RB, would knock the confidence of both Perch and Simpson- wouldnt be good for the team.

@ I still like the idea of gutierez being on the pitch (i have a soft spot for him :icon_lol: ) so if perch starts performing poorly why not. Have i just contradicted everything ive said, doh! :lol:

I wouldn't say Perch is necessarily a better defender than Jonas, certainly though Jonas will stay on the ball and try to beat people a lot more than Perch or Simpson. Will beat people most of the time, but will be too costly on occasion. It's not a viable option. N'zogbia at left back was the same, ocassional attacking bonus is not worth the continual defense frailties. If we had a proper right back we'd not even be talking about this.

We only have 3 wingers, hes bound to get some playingtime anyway. And for Argentina he couldnt play rb to save his life.

As for Argentina they're entire outfield was defensively dishevelled/disorganised, and defending starts at the front-end - football basics. I've never seen a more technically abled [or a better side based on it's individual players' ability] outfield shown-up through lack of structure & defensive discipline off-the-ball in any form, at club level & orn the international stage. Most full-backs, especially a makeshift fb or converted winger, would've been hung out to dry by that midfield unit who couldn't grasp the most basic of defensive requirements, tracking back - even Robert got that right when asked to do so by Souness. At least under Hughton [and i'm starting to warm to him, as at the moment he's making a fair crack at the job despite minimal backing from Ashley] there's the aforementioned structure/shape & discipline, he won't be running around trying to jam his fingers into too many leaking holes in one wide channel.

As for the comparison with N'zogbia. The problem with Zoggy [and i raised this point elsewhere, and Oztoon is correct btw] was that he failed to temper his game in accordance with his new role, to alleviate the risk factor that comes having a converted ball-carrier/winger slotted in the back-4. As a winger [albeit a more one-dimensional man-beater as opposed to Robert who was more allround as an attacker, Robert had a measured passing game in his repetoire & he knew when to play the simple ball] he was more damaging than Jonas, with better players around him could've been just as effective as Robert with better players around him. His key attribute made him a liability in the back four, when turnovers in your half carry a greater weight of punishment, and i never saw a willingness [on Zoggy's part] to temper his game.

Zoggy was too instinctive, as a ball-carrier, and lacked the sort of measured passing game required to compensate for a tempering of the running/ball-carrying game. Ashley Cole and Lauren [and others] have that attribute in their respective lockers, and they made this positional conversion - in Cole's case earlier in his career, and Lauren later on. While moonlighting at the full-back slots for Argentina there was a lot more simple, inward & one-two based passing on Jonas' part, and the blind-alley dribbling [seen from him on our left flank] was far less prominent. In this capacity, as opposed to Zoggy, there's more variation in his game and subsequently far less greater risk factor involved.

It's not about doing whatever to get Jonas on the on the pitch, on a consistent basis. It's not Jonas-fanboy type of thing, as a left-winger he's not fit to lace Robert's boots. With the Arfa & Enrique on the left, and with our weaknesses on the right, we are an imbalanced ourtfield unit

I wouldn't say Perch is necessarily a better defender than Jonas, certainly though Jonas will stay on the ball and try to beat people a lot more than Perch or Simpson. Will beat people most of the time, but will be too costly on occasion. It's not a viable option. N'zogbia at left back was the same, ocassional attacking bonus is not worth the continual defense frailties. If we had a proper right back we'd not even be talking about this.

There's the benefit of having watched both Jonas and Zoggy, when both have been employed on the edge of the defensive four. It's a somewhat loose comparison comparing the two, as Zoggy was unable to temper his running/attacking game in accordance to the attacking/defensive balance needed. BTW you're correct re- the risk factor involved. As for Jonas [and we have only a handful amount of international fixtures to go by] he definitely reigned in that aspect of his game [with better players available around him] and there was plenty of simple of simple exchange/one-two based passing involved, more measured passing. Jonas doesn't carry the same baggage as Zoggy in this regard, the same risk or turn-over factor.

BTW this isn't a 'fan-boy' thing, getting Jonas out on the pitch. To the contrary the said player has won too many plaudits, a cult following, when it's fair to say that he isn't fit to lace Robert's boots re:productivity.

Edited by Year Zero