James Vaughan

Kevin

Manager Chris Hughton has revealed that Newcastle have targeted Everton striker James Vaughan as they look to replace injured loan signing Marlon Harewood before the transfer window closes.

Aston Villa forward Harewood suffered a broken metatarsal in training and Hughton is keen to bolster his striking options, having failed to lure main transfer target Jermaine Beckford to St James' Park.

"Everybody's aware we've been looking for a striker," he told the South Shields Gazette.

"We missed out on our main target, and everybody knows who that was, and I'd have taken back Marlon had he not been injured badly.

"James Vaughan is a player we're aware of, and one we're interested in, but I don't know if that one will happen."

Vaughan has already spent time on loan at fellow Championship side Derby earlier this season, but injury curtailed his spell with the Rams.

Since returning from injury, the England Under 21 forward has made seven appearances for the Toffees, scoring once.

CHRIS HUGHTON today admitted it was full steam ahead in his search for a striker. The Newcastle United boss will step up his bid to land a centre-forward after a series of setbacks.

And Hughton revealed today the Magpies have expressed an interest in Everton young gun James Vaughan.

The United chief has endured some torrid luck in the January window so far with his main target Jermaine Beckford remaining with Leeds United, despite two cash offers from the Magpies, while Marlon Harewood’s freak training ground injury at Aston Villa also denied him another player on his shortlist.

Hughton has done everything he can to ensure that Mike Williamson is a Toon player and the Stoke-born defender was standing by for his United debut against Crystal Palace tomorrow night.

Hughton says that Williamson is in line to start the game if the deal is completed in time.

But having done the spade work on Williamson, he told the Chronicle: “Everybody is aware that we have been looking for a striker.

“We’re always evaluating the squad, every day.

“We missed out on our main target, and everybody knows that was Beckford.

“And I would have taken Marlon back had he not been injured badly.

“James Vaughan is a player we’re aware of and one we’re interested in, but I don’t know if that one will happen.

“As I say, every day we are evaluating the situation.”

The Chronicle can reveal that Norway international Steffen Iversen also offered his service to United.

The ex-Tottenham Hotspur striker, who played at White Hart Lane during Hughton’s long tenure as coach and won the League Cup in 1999, is available at a knockdown £200,000 fee from Rosenberg, where he has blasted in 49 goals in 98 appearances during his second spell with the Tippeligaen side.

However, Hughton said: “There’s a connection there, I know him and he is a friend from my time at Spurs.

“But this is one we won’t be looking into any further.”

Meanwhile, despite missing out on Zurab Khizanishvili to Reading, Hughton is staying calm for the remaining six days of the window.

He said: “Zurab was a possibility and very much in our thoughts. We won’t panic, we’re working very hard and we’ll what happens in the next few days.”

Being strongly linked with him. I'd take him anyday.

Edited by Kevin

There's been a big hullabaloo about him because he was the youngest ever scorer in the league for a while, but if you're suffering terrible injuries at 17, 18, 19, 20 etc... what you going to be like at 28. He's looked determined when I've seen him but he's never stood out for me and his goal scoring record is worse than Shola's. At the minute it feels like any old cunt will do to make the numbers up at NUFC, Pancrate being a point in case.

Probably a few reasons on the Xisco front:

(i) They want him in the shop window for a while longer so they can hopefully recoup some of the money spent on him

(ii) Good enough to bother?

(iii) Not exactly a good omen that he supposedly faked injury in an attempt to get out of the club

He'd still be very far down the pecking order. Such a stupid stupid purchase.

Anyone know why we can't recall Xisco, seems like an ideal time to break him in.

I think we can, it was mentioned a few weeks ago as a possibility when the Beckford was dying on it's arse, we just don't fucking want to ;)

Probably a few reasons on the Xisco front:

(i) They want him in the shop window for a while longer so they can hopefully recoup some of the money spent on him

(ii) Good enough to bother?

(iii) Not exactly a good omen that he supposedly faked injury in an attempt to get out of the club

He'd still be very far down the pecking order. Such a stupid stupid purchase.

dennis-wise.jpg

"He's a twiffic player, Mike. Jus' look at dis YouTube footage!"

Anyone know why we can't recall Xisco, seems like an ideal time to break him in.

We want him to be placed on the end of a wingers cross not fuckin Kings Cross.

Because a) he is fucking shit

;) does not want to play for Newcastle (dont think the queer nightlife is up to his usual standards)

c) we are well rid of the useless cunt

d) faked injury and therefore done nothing for the sterotype of puffters.

hope this clears it up for you.

;) does not want to play for Newcastle (dont think the queer nightlife is up to his usual standards)

;) Havent heard that for a while

;) Havent heard that for a while

He wouldnt get away with that sort of chat on the radio.