NUFC 3-0 Preston

Barney

We were fairly poor for me yet still comfortably controlled the game. Colo once again looked different class to the players at this level.

I thought no one in the east stand had washed in the first half because Guthrie seemed to be trying to stay as far away from the touch line as possible. The only way we can look anything like a good is with two wingers and stretching the pitch as wide as possible. Gutherie is incapable of doing this.

Carrol was shite again and Best looks reasonably tidy but no better than Ranger if I'm honest.

Raylor is wank.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were fairly poor for me yet still comfortably controlled the game. Colo once again looked different class to the players at this level.

I thought no one in the east stand had washed in the first half because Guthrie seemed to be trying to stay as far away from the touch line as possible. The only way we can look anything like a good is with two wingers and stretching the pitch as wide as possible. Gutherie is incapable of doing this.

Carrol was shite again and Best looks reasonably tidy but no better than Ranger if I'm honest.

Raylor is wank.

Aye. I sit in the SJH and in the first half theere was acres of space down that side. When we had the ball we tended to play up the middle or out to Jonas. when it did come over and simpson had it, Guthrie should have been into that space like shit off a stick but instead he remained pretty central. Im a firm believer in using the whole width of the pitch, especially if you have pacey wingers but even if not pulling wide drags a defender away.

I wasnt that impressed by Best. Just dont see anything in his game. Id rather see Ranger myself but think he suffers from Best being CH's signing.

cheers nyff

so let's see now

4-1 v coventry

3-0 v preston

that was 2 piss easy home games wasnt it and yet the pessimistic tools on here gave me pelters for saying it - let's face it, there are too many clueless numpties on here - there are probably some who still think WBA and Forest will finish in the top 2 ffs :(

cheers nyff

so let's see now

4-1 v coventry

3-0 v preston

that was 2 piss easy home games wasnt it and yet the pessimistic tools on here gave me pelters for saying it - let's face it, there are too many clueless numpties on here - there are probably some who still think WBA and Forest will finish in the top 2 ffs :(

How many points do you think are needed for promotion?

14 games left, 6 at home including Forest next month but more importantly 8 away, the trickiest of which look Boro and possibly an improving Reading, which is our game in hand on Forest.We've got 63 points and there are 18 points up for grabs at home....dare we hope for 14? which takes us to 77....how many do we need to pick up away from home?....

cheers nyff

so let's see now

4-1 v coventry

3-0 v preston

14 games left, 6 at home including Forest next month but more importantly 8 away, the trickiest of which look Boro and possibly an improving Reading, which is our game in hand on Forest.We've got 63 points and there are 18 points up for grabs at home....dare we hope for 14? which takes us to 77....how many do we need to pick up away from home?....

We should be aiming to win ALL our home games tbh but id 14 is a good bet...4 wins and 2 draws.

Away is where we have the problem...we have done well away at times and we need to get that form back on our travels...id be aiming for 4 wins from 8 or just a target of 12 points away from home.

cheers nyff

so let's see now

4-1 v coventry

3-0 v preston

the 6 home games will yield 16 points - may have to settle for a draw amongst the remainder but will certainly end the season with unbeaten home record.

away from home will yield a minimum of 16 points - 5 wins, 2 draws and a loss.

32 plus 62 = 94 and title.

get your money on it now.

cheers nyff

so let's see now

4-1 v coventry

3-0 v preston

the 6 home games will yield 16 points - may have to settle for a draw amongst the remainder but will certainly end the season with unbeaten home record.

credit where it's due. Can't see us winning 5 away games though. The promotion team of 1993, and 1984 too, is still better than this lot and would slaughter it.

What's your forecast for next season, assuming we aren't sold. Far more important.

cheers nyff

so let's see now

4-1 v coventry

3-0 v preston

credit where it's due. Can't see us winning 5 away games though. The promotion team of 1993, and 1984 too, is still better than this lot and would slaughter it.

What's your forecast for next season, assuming we aren't sold. Far more important.

With Hughton...Relegated

With new manager and a few new players, lower midtable.

New board, new manager and a few quality new players...comfortable midtable.

cheers nyff

so let's see now

4-1 v coventry

3-0 v preston

let's assume Pompey, Hull and Burnley are relegated, and that WBA and Forest also go up.

It won't take a fantastic amount of buying new players to survive - people on here are far too pessimistic due to what happened last season, and are too ready to think Ashley has it in for the club.

WBA and Forest will struggle in the prem as will Wolves, Wigan, Bolton, Sunderland, whilst Stoke, Birmingham, Blackburn, West Ham and Fulham are hardly world beaters.

With the best will in the world, the current team with a few additions is not going to finish above the established top 4, Spurs, Villa, Man City or Everton.

However, as long as everyone is realistic, there is a very good chance that the top 3 can be avoided. It may be tight, but it is nowhere near a foregone conclusion that Hughton will take the club straight back down or that a ''yo-yo'' SAFC type of existence is going to be the norm.

cheers nyff

so let's see now

4-1 v coventry

3-0 v preston

With Hughton...Relegated

Don't for a moment think that this means I think Hughton is the man for the job because I don't............but..........can anybody think of other managers who could within reason have done better ? Would Shearer have done better, with what has been available ? Having seen this club decimated before ie 1977, I feared the worst and I feared the spirit would be so bad we could easily have gone tumbling further down on account of that alone.

You have to say he has done a great job, maybe at this lower level, but he has. If Shearer had been manager and did this we would all be saying he's the new Brian Clough.

A new owner is needed

cheers nyff

so let's see now

4-1 v coventry

3-0 v preston

With Hughton...Relegated

Don't for a moment think that this means I think Hughton is the man for the job because I don't............but..........can anybody think of other managers who could within reason have done better ? Would Shearer have done better, with what has been available ? Having seen this club decimated before ie 1977, I feared the worst and I feared the spirit would be so bad we could easily have gone tumbling further down on account of that alone.

You have to say he has done a great job, maybe at this lower level, but he has. If Shearer had been manager and did this we would all be saying he's the new Brian Clough.

A new owner is needed

Agree with all that.

cheers nyff

so let's see now

4-1 v coventry

3-0 v preston

let's assume Pompey, Hull and Burnley are relegated, and that WBA and Forest also go up.

It won't take a fantastic amount of buying new players to survive - people on here are far too pessimistic due to what happened last season, and are too ready to think Ashley has it in for the club.

WBA and Forest will struggle in the prem as will Wolves, Wigan, Bolton, Sunderland, whilst Stoke, Birmingham, Blackburn, West Ham and Fulham are hardly world beaters.

With the best will in the world, the current team with a few additions is not going to finish above the established top 4, Spurs, Villa, Man City or Everton.

However, as long as everyone is realistic, there is a very good chance that the top 3 can be avoided. It may be tight, but it is nowhere near a foregone conclusion that Hughton will take the club straight back down or that a ''yo-yo'' SAFC type of existence is going to be the norm.

When you play with restricted resources [and yes NUFC should NEVER have to play with restricted resources] you are going to find it difficult to put together a decent football team, the alternative is putting together a team of Harlem globetrotters and play helicopter football, physically like Stoke etc. This is also limited and will only take you so far [as far as Stoke, no disrespect their manager has done well and used what he has very well so far].

We are bigger than that. I find it very depressing that this is the sort of level we are aspiring to. It is possible we will stay up next season but it would not be a happy season, if we stay where we are and to be honest unless we totally capsize in our away games it is looking very likely now.

A new owner is needed

Houghton was left with a squad far stronger than any rivals in the league though. That, coupled with senior players supposedly making decisions and questionable substitutions at times leave a bit to be desired.

Hard to complain about how we're faring at the minute though.

A new owner is needed

Houghton was left with a squad far stronger than any rivals in the league though. That, coupled with senior players supposedly making decisions and questionable substitutions at times leave a bit to be desired.

Hard to complain about how we're faring at the minute though.

I NEVER believe things like this unless they are told me by someone who knows

I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought, having sold/lost 7 of our previous established half decent premiership team that Keegan with a couple of good signings would have got into europe, that the remainder would have been anywhere near good enough to do so well in this league, but it only took a few games to realise what a poor standard this league is now compared to when we were last in it.

I think Hughton has been the right man at the right time. The reason being because I think this position we have in the league is soley down to the players getting together before the campaign, feeling some sort of loss of pride in how they badly performed last season and agreeing to knuckle down as a unit and sort it out. Had a 'stronger' manager come in and dictated (something I don't think Hughton can do) to them, the players could well have switched off, let their bonding and determination slip and we would now be mid-table.

I always have this thing about players calling their manager by their christian name. I've heard it a bit this season, and, for me, it just shows the wrong sort of relationship. I much prefer to hear them say 'gaffer' or 'the boss' (across the whole of football, not just at NUFC). This probably is just tosh, and maybe has no relevance at all in the modern game, but it's tosh I actually believe in :(

I always have this thing about players calling their manager by their christian name. I've heard it a bit this season, and, for me, it just shows the wrong sort of relationship. I much prefer to hear them say 'gaffer' or 'the boss' (across the whole of football, not just at NUFC). This probably is just tosh, and maybe has no relevance at all in the modern game, but it's tosh I actually believe in :(

Thing with Hughton is that they had a pre-existing relationship with him as one of their trainers/coaches and so would have already been calling him by his first name.

He's more or less been the right man for the job, keeping the squad happy and performing pretty well, deflecting any potential bad publicity/media beat ups with his calm persona.

Next season though it will be a completely different story. The confidence could disappear very quickly and the heads will drop. What Hughton can do in a situation like that is perhaps an unknown entity. He did have some experience in that sitaution last year but without the year of experience and the deeper relationships that he will have forged with our players.

Given that he was signed for multiple years, and that he's done a good job so far if we're promoted there's no way Ashley will get rid of him. That is unless we find ourselves in a horrible predicament mid-season. If he does choose to part ways with Hughton under circumstances like that we could find our old friend Joe Kinnear back in a 'caretaker' role.

Fair enough on the rumours.

I'd say Kinnear would have had us where we currently are in the league as well.

No, he wouldn't.

I don't see why not, the opposition in the league and standard in general is quite poor.

I think Hughton has been the right man at the right time. The reason being because I think this position we have in the league is soley down to the players getting together before the campaign, feeling some sort of loss of pride in how they badly performed last season and agreeing to knuckle down as a unit and sort it out. Had a 'stronger' manager come in and dictated (something I don't think Hughton can do) to them, the players could well have switched off, let their bonding and determination slip and we would now be mid-table.

I always have this thing about players calling their manager by their christian name. I've heard it a bit this season, and, for me, it just shows the wrong sort of relationship . I much prefer to hear them say 'gaffer' or 'the boss' (across the whole of football, not just at NUFC). This probably is just tosh, and maybe has no relevance at all in the modern game, but it's tosh I actually believe in :(

its not tosh, I've been meaning to post exactly the same point on numerous occasions. I agree completely.

Fergie commented in his book that Brian Kidd had a similar problem(?) when he started taking on more responsibility at ManUtd and moved towards management. He had a cushy role where he was mates with everyone, and got on great with all the players, when he had to be harsh with them, the players wouldn't take him seriously.