Newcastle squad forced to take pay cut if they win promotion back to the Premier League

TheMoog

Newcastle squad forced to take pay cut if they win promotion back to the Premier League

By Sportsmail Reporter Last updated at 1:14 AM on 11th March 2010

Newcastle players will be asked to take a pay cut if the club wins promotion to the Barclays Premier League.

With owner Mike Ashley forced to pump another £10million into the club to get them through the season, the players, including the likes of Alan Smith and Kevin Nolan, are being offered extended deals for less money per year.

Kevin Nolan

New deal: Nolan would be among the Newcastle players asked to take a pay cut

The move could see an exodus of big name players although several are open to negotiation.

Ashley put a £10,000-a-week limit on wages for new signings in January after it was revealed Newcastle are losing £500,000 per week.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...l#ixzz0hqoldkCI

Three things bother me about this, firstly it's pretty shitty to think that after the hard work of getting us promoted the reward the players would get is a pay cut, secondly how are we losing £500k a week? And thirdly if we get promoted the revenue from being in the Prem is greater than the CCC is it not?

We all know Ashley doesn't have a clue how to run a football club but do they really have to keep reminding us how fucking shit he is? ;)

Makes sense to me if your trying to introdareas more realistic wage structure.

They are not just saying a pay cut, they are saying a pay cut and a longer deal.

Some of the older players might find this extension attractive.

These are players that may well be passed it in the prem anyway.

I think this will be the summer where for a lot of clubs, realism, pay cuts and smaller transfer fees kicks in.

Newcastle players will be asked to take a pay cut if the club wins promotion to the Barclays Premier League.

With owner Mike Ashley forced to pump another £10million into the club to get them through the season, the players, including the likes of Alan Smith and Kevin Nolan, are being offered extended deals for less money per year.

Kevin Nolan

The move could see an exodus of big name players although several are open to negotiation.

Ashley put a £10,000-a-week limit on wages for new signings in January after it was revealed Newcastle are losing £500,000 per week.

Three things bother me about this, firstly it's pretty shitty to think that after the hard work of getting us promoted the reward the players would get is a pay cut, secondly how are we losing £500k a week? And thirdly if we get promoted the revenue from being in the Prem is greater than the CCC is it not?

We all know Ashley doesn't have a clue how to run a football club but do they really have to keep reminding us how fucking shit he is? ;)

The big worry for me is this should be discussed after /if we win promotion.

Longer contracts for the shit that took us down in the first place?

Likes of Smith and Butt should never kick a ball for us again if/when we're promoted.

I do think though just about every paper/journo is going to try to sensationalise their take on events. We're cannon fodder again as soon as promotion is secured.

The idea behind getting the contracts down is good it will balance out the wage structure, so that there's not valuable new/newer players on much lower wages thean their less valuable older team mates.

Good luck getting these greedy bastards to take a pay cut though!

You have to wonder where this shit comes from. I can't believe the club would be stupid enough to leak it, even allowing for Llambias' incompetence. I doubt it's been raised with the squad as a proposition. If there's any truth to it, it's probably Nolan or Smith's agent leaking it to the press, who've made a big deal out of something that probably only applies to one or two players.

Sounds like we're still cannon fodder for the press.

ALAN SMITH will this week tell Newcastle he is prepared to take a pay cut to finish his career on Tyneside.

The Toon skipper has two years left on his contract but talks are due to start about extending it.

Under owner Mike Ashley's new pay code, no player will be offered the kind of money prevalent at St James' Park when Smith, 29, arrived from Manchester United in 2007.

Then Smith was still nowhere near the likes of Michael Owen and Obafemi Martins when he left Old Trafford, but still secured a deal worth in excess of £2.5million-a-year.

Those kind of contracts are now finished at Newcastle but I understand Smith, who has become a key figure at the club, has a desire to stay that will see him prepared to take a pay cut and help the club's planned march to becoming a force again.

Ashley was not prepared to pay much more than £10,000-a-week for new players signed during the transfer window in January and even if Newcastle get promoted, top deals are expected to be around three times that amount.

Smith is ready to accept those kind of figures if he is offered a further two years to his current contract, that would take him up to his 34th birthday.

Club bosses like Smith's honest style and he has become a significant voice in bridging the gap between the boardroom and the dressing room.

They want him to stay and believe securing his services on an extended deal would send a signal about the new unity within the club.

A source close to the player said: "Alan is ready to help the cause at Newcastle and take a wage cut if they are prepared to offer him an extended deal.

"He has genuine feelings for the club now and he wants to end his career there. He's been very honest with people at the club."

Smith, who suffered an horrendous leg and ankle break at Manchester United, has been instrumental in Newcastle's rise to the top of the Championship.

ALAN SMITH will this week tell Newcastle he is prepared to take a pay cut to finish his career on Tyneside.

I assume from that hes willing to backdate the pay cut as his career was over two years ago.

Kevin Nolan

We all know Ashley doesn't have a clue how to run a football club but do they really have to keep reminding us how fucking shit he is? :yes

blimey.

How thick is this bloke ?