General Election 2010

Christmas Tree

Toontastic pre-GE Poll  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is a total catastrophe mark my words. :(

Is there a record for how many times a person can be wrong in one thread

I probably underestimated what a scheming cunt Clegg was. :(

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a load of sore losers.

Your party lost more seats than anytime back to the 30's!!!! Get over it, you've being kicked out and it's time for the country to get behind the PM!

What sacrifice are you making CT?

Oh dear, one sniff of power and the liberals drop their kecks.

:( libs :(

strangely enough I think this is by far the best thing for labour medium to long term.

Nice to see CT hasn't been smug or anything like.

So the public schoolboys are teaming up to bash the poor

Utter shite.

The Tory's have agreed to phase in the 10k tax band, levying it against non-business caital gains tax. They have also backed out of raising inheritance tax to 1m.

The 6 billion pound cuts will initially be made in capital expenditure as apposed to jobs - this is to avoid the NI rise.

What does that mean, and how long is initially?

Capital expenditure is spend on the future benifits. So the cuts will be on uncommisioned projects that aren't deemed essential.

I've no idea how long cuts will go on for. I'd image they will be curbed from being too extreme by the Lib-Dem. We should know a bit more in the coming week.

:(

some proper bad losers on here like!

Nothing to do with "bad loser" mate. There are people on here who's jobs will go because of this.

My mrs. is one of them.

Nothing personal but so many of you have bleated on in this thread about voting for parties because of the greater good and what they do for others but as soon as you all actually have to make sacrifices ( for the greater good) you suddenly start going all Tory and thinking of yourselves?????

Strange that!

You really are a cunt of the highest order.

I hope you crash.

Nothing to do with "bad loser" mate. There are people on here who's jobs will go because of this.

My mrs. is one of them.

Nothing personal but so many of you have bleated on in this thread about voting for parties because of the greater good and what they do for others but as soon as you all actually have to make sacrifices ( for the greater good) you suddenly start going all Tory and thinking of yourselves?????

Strange that!

I hope you crash.

+1

My mrs. is one of them.

Strange that!

I hope you crash.

Dear me :(

The next election campaign has already started. This is all about image and positioning now so that each of them can use this period to their best advantage.

Labours fucked cos they will get the blame off the Tories and the libs for all the pain that is about to come.

And if the libs are nit careful, they will get the blame for triggering a quick general election.

Happy Days, eh.

As opposed to all the daft cunts who voted Tory

Oh, and Alex of course.

Most sensible people realised that the pain was coming whoever got in.

The sooner the pain starts, the sooner it's over.

You of all people getting a new business up and running should want this period over, sooner rather than later.

I started my business just before the worst recession in decades kicked in. Business is booming, regardless.

My personal circumstances, however, are irrelevant.

I vote for an ideology, not a policy. I vote for what's best for everyone, not what's best for me.

I was born in an NHS hospital, grew up in a council house, an was educated in a state school.

None of these things would have existed without the idealogy I voted for.

Incidentally, when the jobs start going, and the roads start falling to bits , the Taxi trade usually suffers.

You reap what you sow.

Aslong as I'm alright jack :( Should have just voted Tory.

This is what happens when you preach the moral high ground.

I have no wish to see any family suffer but I know it's inevitible and can't be avoided. I know that regardless who got in , massive cuts are needed, however I am sure you and your moral high ground companions will slag the Tories each step of the way, even though it's "for the greater good".

Guest Barrack Road

It's amazing how many people know what's going to happen with a great degree of certainty. Who are yous like Peter fuckin Snow?? The only thing certain is that there'll be surprises, and another certain thing is no one knows who will lose their job or anything. Who's to say one of the Lib Dems stipulations is that the tories pipe down about spending cuts, no cunt knows, as long as the Tories European policy continues I'm not too disappointed.

All this comments about 'sore losers' - fucking hell man have a word with yourselves. It's not some 'x-factor style' competition - it's trying to determine who could form the most stable government in the current climate and, given the results of last's election, it was hard to see how the liberal / labour pact could achieve it.

Clegg has been caught between a rock and a hard-place IMO. Getting into bed with the Tories I don't think was ideal to him but on the other hand, this may well be his one and only opportunity to push through Liberal Democrat values into government that he himself points out was the single-most reason he got into politics. He's a part of the government - yes. He is not part of the Conservative party.

Listening to GMTV this morning, it's full of whinging voters who feel like they've been stabbed in the back because the voted for Clegg to keep Cameron out and the inverse has occurred. Tactical voting gets you nowhere - you should vote for what you believe in and in support of the person you want to represent you in Westminster - NOT vote to simply keep someone out who doesn't represent your constituency.

How will this pan out? No-one knows and time will tell. Plenty are saying 'i'll give it a year before you see the cracks starting to appear...' etc but then again these are the same people who less than a week ago stated that they couldn't envisage Lib Dems getting into bed with the Tories in a month of Sundays....

Not many of us around who have experience of a coalition government - and the last one worked out OK by all accounts.

Hello another election campaign

Not for a while it seems....

Details have been emerging from Conservative sources about the new government's programme, including:

• There will be a "significant acceleration" of efforts to reduce the budget deficit - including £6bn of spending reductions this year. An emergency Budget will take place within 50 days
  • Plans for five-year, fixed-term parliaments, meaning the next election would not take place until May 2015
  • The Lib Dems have agreed to drop plans for a "mansion tax" on properties costing more than £2m, while the Conservatives have ditched their pledge to raise the inheritance tax threshold to £1m
  • The new administration will scrap part of Labour's planned rise in National Insurance and will work towards raising income tax thresholds for lower earners
  • A pledge to have a referendum on any further transfer of powers to the EU and a commitment from the Lib Dems not to adopt the euro for the lifetime of the next Parliament
  • The Lib Dems have agreed to Tory proposals for a cap on non-EU migration
  • The Conservatives will recognise marriage in the tax system, but Lib Dems will abstain in Commons vote
  • The Lib Dems will drop opposition to a replacement for Britain's Trident nuclear missiles but the programme will be scrutinised for value for money
  • There will be a referendum on moving to the Alternative Vote system and enhanced "pupil premium" for deprived children as Lib Dems demanded

Guest Barrack Road
All this comments about 'sore losers' - fucking hell man have a word with yourselves. It's not some 'x-factor style' competition - it's trying to determine who could form the most stable government in the current climate and, given the results of last's election, it was hard to see how the liberal / labour pact could achieve it.

Clegg has been caught between a rock and a hard-place IMO. Getting into bed with the Tories I don't think was ideal to him but on the other hand, this may well be his one and only opportunity to push through Liberal Democrat values into government that he himself points out was the single-most reason he got into politics. He's a part of the government - yes. He is not part of the Conservative party.

Listening to GMTV this morning, it's full of whinging voters who feel like they've been stabbed in the back because the voted for Clegg to keep Cameron out and the inverse has occurred. Tactical voting gets you nowhere - you should vote for what you believe in and in support of the person you want to represent you in Westminster - NOT vote to simply keep someone out who doesn't represent your constituency.

How will this pan out? No-one knows and time will tell. Plenty are saying 'i'll give it a year before you see the cracks starting to appear...' etc but then again these are the same people who less than a week ago stated that they couldn't envisage Lib Dems getting into bed with the Tories in a month of Sundays....

Not many of us around who have experience of a coalition government - and the last one worked out OK by all accounts.

Were we not at 25% inflation Craig?

Were we not at 25% inflation Craig?

At war I believe..... :(

Details have been emerging from Conservative sources about the new government's programme, including:
  • There will be a "significant acceleration" of efforts to reduce the budget deficit - including £6bn of spending reductions this year. An emergency Budget will take place within 50 days
  • Plans for five-year, fixed-term parliaments, meaning the next election would not take place until May 2015
  • The Lib Dems have agreed to drop plans for a "mansion tax" on properties costing more than £2m, while the Conservatives have ditched their pledge to raise the inheritance tax threshold to £1m
  • The new administration will scrap part of Labour's planned rise in National Insurance and will work towards raising income tax thresholds for lower earners
  • A pledge to have a referendum on any further transfer of powers to the EU and a commitment from the Lib Dems not to adopt the euro for the lifetime of the next Parliament
  • The Conservatives will recognise marriage in the tax system, but Lib Dems will abstain in Commons vote
  • The Lib Dems will drop opposition to a replacement for Britain's Trident nuclear missiles but the programme will be scrutinised for value for money
  • There will be a referendum on moving to the Alternative Vote system and enhanced "pupil premium" for deprived children as Lib Dems demanded

7th May 2015 to be exact...

0816: The next general election will be held on the first Thursday of May 2015, says soon-to-be foreign secretary William Hague. He can say this with confidence because one of the points of the coalition agreement is to introduce fixed term, five-year parliaments from now.

This is the problem - leave the Tories to govern in a minority and the Lib Dems would have been held responsible for the inevitable second election in six months' time, which could easily have had exactly the same outcome anyway. In either scenario - flight to the two "big boys" to get a majority government in a second 2010 election/"punishment" for bedding in with the Tories - there's every chance that the Lib Dems will take a huge hit at the next election, so they've obviously figured they might as well take the opportunity to benefit from some exposure and experience for their front-benchers and at least try to temper some of the Tories' more barmy policies and see where it goes. It's far from ideal, but it's probably the best they could have got out of it all as a party.

Well, yes and no. There's nothing wrong with tactical voting as long as you accept that you're not voting for a Labour MP by proxy. Complaining that you voted for a Lib Dem and they went on to act like Lib Dems is an odd one, certainly. Of course, if we had electoral reform and votes that actually counted for something, etc. etc.

0816: The next general election will be held on the first Thursday of May 2015, says soon-to-be foreign secretary William Hague. He can say this with confidence because one of the points of the coalition agreement is to introduce fixed term, five-year parliaments from now.

What happens then if the coalition collapses then? Will we be stuck with a minority government unable to function? A failed vote of confidence should force a general election.

So the public schoolboys are teaming up to bash the poor

Utter shite.

The Tory's have agreed to phase in the 10k tax band, levying it against non-business caital gains tax. They have also backed out of raising inheritance tax to 1m.

The 6 billion pound cuts will initially be made in capital expenditure as apposed to jobs - this is to avoid the NI rise.

What does that mean, and how long is initially?

Capital expenditure is spend on the future benifits. So the cuts will be on uncommisioned projects that aren't deemed essential.

I've no idea how long cuts will go on for. I'd image they will be curbed from being too extreme by the Lib-Dem. We should know a bit more in the coming week.

Ongoing projects are at risk of being cut short.

And what about the jobs relying on those not yet commissioned projects? What happens them?

Edited by ewerk

The next election campaign has already started. This is all about image and positioning now so that each of them can use this period to their best advantage.

Labours fucked cos they will get the blame off the Tories and the libs for all the pain that is about to come.

And if the libs are nit careful, they will get the blame for triggering a quick general election.

Happy Days, eh.

As opposed to all the daft cunts who voted Tory

Oh, and Alex of course.

Most sensible people realised that the pain was coming whoever got in.

The sooner the pain starts, the sooner it's over.

You of all people getting a new business up and running should want this period over, sooner rather than later.

I started my business just before the worst recession in decades kicked in. Business is booming, regardless.

My personal circumstances, however, are irrelevant.

I vote for an ideology, not a policy. I vote for what's best for everyone, not what's best for me.

I was born in an NHS hospital, grew up in a council house, an was educated in a state school.

None of these things would have existed without the idealogy I voted for.

Incidentally, when the jobs start going, and the roads start falling to bits , the Taxi trade usually suffers.

You reap what you sow.

Aslong as I'm alright jack :( Should have just voted Tory.

This is what happens when you preach the moral high ground.

I have no wish to see any family suffer but I know it's inevitible and can't be avoided. I know that regardless who got in , massive cuts are needed, however I am sure you and your moral high ground companions will slag the Tories each step of the way, even though it's "for the greater good".

My prime motivation for voting the way I did was as ,you have so kindly quoted for me, above.

The fact that my partners livelihood would also be safer by my voting as such was not the prime motivation for my voting this way.

Also, regarding the "hope you crash" comment. That was foolish and in the heat of the moment.

I should have added "in 6 months" to ensure the Dave effect has taken hold in the hospitals, emergency services etc.

Saying on the news this morning that the defecit is going to continue to increase for at least the next 3 years. Anyone hoping for a swift solution seem misguided. Sounds like years and years of not just cuts but under investment.

Well, yes and no. There's nothing wrong with tactical voting as long as you accept that you're not voting for a Labour MP by proxy. Complaining that you voted for a Lib Dem and they went on to act like Lib Dems is an odd one, certainly. Of course, if we had electoral reform and votes that actually counted for something, etc. etc.

I think as I said earlier, everyone including the Lib Dems themselves are learning exactly what has just been theory before and finding out how things actually work in this situation which I don't think is a bad thing.

It will make the campaign/debate over the PR referendum quite interesting and at least "real" scenarios are now evident.

My position remains the same - I can see the fairness of PR in principle but I won't vote for a system of ordinal preference.

It's lovely this morning knowing Mandelson and Campbell are gone.

And you'll be pleased to know I had my first vomit moment on hearing a soundbite of Cameron talking about the "common good" - as sickening as hearing Ashley talking about taking the club forward.

What happens then if the coalition collapses then? Will we be stuck with a minority government unable to function? A failed vote of confidence should force a general election.

Christ knows... very 'American' idea IMO.

Cameron is inept and will no doubt fuck it up for everyone.

I fear that, but he's in now and i'm hoping for the best.

Fingers crossed that being wrong on the economy at EVERY turn means he's due to get a few things right.

Hopefully having the Lib Dems chipping in will temper some of the more idiotic ideas, without giving the Tories an excuse if they do fail.

Seems to me Labour will be resurgent within a very short space of time, rertaining all the votes they got this time and adding to it a large bulk of the dissatisfied Lib Dems....and people who objected personally to Brown rather than Labour policy.