General Election 2010

Christmas Tree

Toontastic pre-GE Poll  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Also quite interesting:

http://www.voterpower.org.uk/

I have 0.273 of a vote, which is actually 1.08x more voting power than the UK average.

We're clearly in the same constituency.

The thought of Wendy Morton getting in physically sickens me.

Which way you voting Renty? Let's form a coalition of our own!

Meenzer that's dire! Spongebob is currently the most powerful man on Toontastic.

Labour. Apart from anything else I know Alan Campbell quite well and he's alright. Preferable to Wendy Morton anyway! I'm surrounded by tory cunts on my street as well, and am constantly bombarded with their propaganda.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The average UK voter has 20x more voting power than voters in South Shields.

You will have the kudos of being in the consituency of the PM one day.

I'll be beating the fanny off with a shitty stick. :razz:

How safe are even the safest seats though, if turnout increases dramatically?

Almost half a million people downloaded electoral registration forms from the Electoral Commission's website in the weeks before the registration deadline. This has prompted speculation about whether we are about to see a sharp increase in turnout in the general election. One wonders how all these people were missed off the electoral register in the first place; and it is, of course, a big step from downloading a form to actually voting in the election.

Nonetheless, there are grounds for thinking that turnout could well rise from the 61.3% recorded in the last general election. This is unlikely to be the product of official campaigns encouraging voting – official campaigns on anything generally fail to achieve much, in the short term at least. Nor is it a consequence of more people than ever being registered for postal votes. There is evidence that people who vote by post would actually vote in any case. Moreover, because of the potential and actual corruption that has arisen in relation to unrestricted postal voting, the rules for submitting a postal ballot have been tightened and a significant number of postal votes will be rejected as invalid.

Examining turnout in general elections since 1950, two important points can be made. First, there is an overall downward trend, and the last two elections have been especially bad. Second, within that trend turnouts have been higher when elections are considered likely to be close and when there have been clear policy differences between the parties. The long-term trend is explained by a steady decline in the proportion of voters – especially younger people – who think that voting is a duty. It will be pretty sensational news if this is reversed in 2010.

We are left, then, with the two short-term factors – the closeness of the contest and the differences between the parties. There might be disagreement about how significant the latter are, but the expenses scandal appears to have made the electorate mad as hell. Some voters have been turned off but many seem keen to vote against the "old" parties, and the Liberal Democrats find themselves beneficiaries. There can be no disagreement about the fact that this is a close race – especially since the first televised debate between the party leaders – and if turnout increases, that will be the main reason why.

After the 2001 turnout debacle, the psephologist Anthony King wrote: "Just provide the voters with a closely fought election at which a great deal is at stake and, make no mistake, they will again turn out in their droves." If we substitute 'respectable numbers' for 'droves', I suspect that he is about to be proved right.

The majority of people that didn't vote last time, who're angry enough to vote this time are going to turn away from the two leading (most corrupt) parties.

Brown's just been caught on Mic calling some wife that challenged him on Labour policies a "bigoted woman". D'oh!

Oops... :razz:

Election: Brown 'bigoted woman' jibe caught on tape

Prime Minister Gordon Brown has been caught on microphone describing a voter he had just spoken to in Rochdale as a "bigoted woman".

The 65-year-old woman had challenged Mr Brown on a number of issues including immigration, crime and the economy during the exchange.

As he got into his car, he was still wearing a broadcast microphone and was heard to say "that was a disaster".

It comes after Labour vowed for him to meet more ordinary voters.

The comments were made as he got into his car after speaking to Gillian Duffy, not realising that he had a Sky News microphone pinned to his shirt.

He told an aide: "That was a disaster - they should never have put me with that woman. Whose idea was that? It's just ridiculous..."

Asked what she had said, he replied: "Everything, she was just a bigoted woman."

Mrs Duffy, a widow, said: "I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet but if that's what he said I'm very upset. I'm very annoyed."

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/ele...010/8649012.stm

I wouldn't mind, but the local council wards are safe Green too. :D

The only vote this year where I have any kind of power is for the elected Mayor of Lewisham. And he doesn't have much in the way of power, so... :razz:

1247 Gordon Brown is asked by Vine about his comments towards Gillian Duffy. The prime minister says he apologises "if I said anything that is hurtful and I will apologise to her personally". Vine then plays the tape of Mr Brown's unguarded comments. The prime minister repeats his apology.

1250 While Jeremy Vine played the tape of his comments, TV cameras filmed Gordon Brown (in a studio in Manchester) with his head in his hands.