General Election 2010

Christmas Tree

Toontastic pre-GE Poll  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The old style fudging and prevaricating Liberals were the best vintage. They are beginning to look like they give a shit these days.

Aye, if they're not careful they'll lose their core support in the West Country.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice of you to mention that, actually. One of my pet hates among politicians is the use of the word "fudge". It comes up a lot in party polliticks and for all it's primarily a Tory thing - Cameron even stuck it in his recent panic-ridden rant about how voting Lib Dem would create "uncertainty, fudge and division" - it's by no means limited to old Etonians. Anyway, I admit it's a thoroughly irrational hatred, I just think the word sounds utterly posh-boy and out of touch with how normal people actually speak. Really sets my teeth on edge.

Normal service may resume. ;)

Don't tell me you don't love a finger of Fudge now and again.

Nice of you to mention that, actually. One of my pet hates among politicians is the use of the word "fudge". It comes up a lot in party polliticks and for all it's primarily a Tory thing - Cameron even stuck it in his recent panic-ridden rant about how voting Lib Dem would create "uncertainty, fudge and division" - it's by no means limited to old Etonians. Anyway, I admit it's a thoroughly irrational hatred, I just think the word sounds utterly posh-boy and out of touch with how normal people actually speak. Really sets my teeth on edge.

Normal service may resume. ;)

Don't tell me you don't love a finger of Fudge now and again.

Meenz tucked. <_<

The old style fudging and prevaricating Liberals were the best vintage. They are beginning to look like they give a shit these days.

aye - used to have more hands than a Hindu Idol

aye - used to have more hands than a Hindu Idol

I pray to Ganesha you'll extend that to the current LibDems and not just the Liberals of old. Given the accuracy of your F1 predictions, a blanket condemnation of all things yellow and birdy should just about confirm Clegg as PM. ;)

Basically most in London who aren't registered to vote are avoiding council tax, no mystery.

That would require the assumption that councils have any kind of functioning communications between their various departments. ;) But I can understand why people think that way, obviously.

If Council tax was levied against houses rather than people then the number of voters will rise drastically. Dame Thatcher used the poll tax (re-named council tax) to wipe out some of the lower levels of voters who traditionally don't vote Tory (sneaky)...

Erm, as far as I am aware Council tax is levied against the property, not the person? What are you on about?

Obviously don't pay it. It's calculated by how many adults are living in a residence and the size of the residence and the working status of those adults. Whereas before it was levied against the house alone (iirc down to size and location).

I've owned poperty since 1995. It's my understanding that council tax is based on a valuation band which in turn is based (loosely) on the value of the property. The number of occupants is irrelevant (but actually perhaps shouldn't be). There is ONE bill per home (usually paid by the owner unless agreed otherwise). I don't see how this will affect voting.

The more people that live in your house the more council tax you pay, can't really make it clearer than that bro.

Absolute tosh!

The only exception to the rule is single occupancy when you only pay 75% of the charge. Poll Tax was levied against the person but Council Tax is most definitely levied against the property so anyone refusing to register on account of tax evasion is wasting their time!

The only exception to the rule is single occupancy when you only pay 75% of the charge. Poll Tax was levied against the person but Council Tax is most definitely levied against the property so anyone refusing to register on account of tax evasion is wasting their time!

Correct - I get a bill for the house and then get a discount.

Basically most in London who aren't registered to vote are avoiding council tax, no mystery.

That would require the assumption that councils have any kind of functioning communications between their various departments. ;) But I can understand why people think that way, obviously.

If Council tax was levied against houses rather than people then the number of voters will rise drastically. Dame Thatcher used the poll tax (re-named council tax) to wipe out some of the lower levels of voters who traditionally don't vote Tory (sneaky)...

Erm, as far as I am aware Council tax is levied against the property, not the person? What are you on about?

Obviously don't pay it. It's calculated by how many adults are living in a residence and the size of the residence and the working status of those adults. Whereas before it was levied against the house alone (iirc down to size and location).

I've owned poperty since 1995. It's my understanding that council tax is based on a valuation band which in turn is based (loosely) on the value of the property. The number of occupants is irrelevant (but actually perhaps shouldn't be). There is ONE bill per home (usually paid by the owner unless agreed otherwise). I don't see how this will affect voting.

The more people that live in your house the more council tax you pay, can't really make it clearer than that bro.

Absolute tosh!

Not quite absolute tosh then is it.

Getting to know Nick

Mr Clegg, whose popularity is thought to have surged following the first of the live TV leaders' debates last week, told the Radio Times that he listens to "a bit of rousing opera, Rachmaninov or Johnny Cash".

While Gordon Brown has been in touch with Simon Cowell and David Cameron was photographed dining with him, Mr Clegg was not making overtures to the music mogul.

He stated "none of the above" when he was asked to pick from the list of X Factor judges - Cowell, Cheryl Cole, Dannii Minogue and Louis Walsh.

Asked to choose between big-budget sci-fi movie Avatar, Oscar-winning The Hurt Locker, Carey Mulligan's An Education and political satire In the Loop, he opted for French film The Class instead.

Mr Clegg also plumped for Jonathan Ross over fellow broadcasters Sir Terry Wogan and Graham Norton.

Asked in the Q&A whether he enjoyed Coronation Street, EastEnders, The Archers or The Bill, he stated "I don't watch or listen to any of these, I'm afraid."

Mr Clegg, who has already said he is a fan of Channel 4 show Come Dine With Me, said he allowed his children to watch around 45 minutes of TV a day but that, when growing up "his mother was strict when it came to television.

"We didn't watch half as much as people at school, which was a big source of resentment," he said. "But we were allowed to watch anything with animals in like Lassie, Black Beauty and BBC nature documentaries."

Mr Clegg said his listening habits included Classic FM, Radio 2 and Radio 4 but that he would not inflict Radio 4's flagship political programme Today on his children.

He said: "I only listen to the headlines, or if I'm brushing my teeth I might have it on, but I don't think it's fair on them if we have it on over breakfast.

"If there are interviews I think I should catch up with, I just listen again later on the computer."

He criticised television news for its coverage of the "ya-boo politics of Westminster" saying "things have moved on" and said he would like more news coverage of Europe.

He told the magazine: "I just think it's a bit odd that you get this forensic analysis of the Obama healthcare bill, which has much less direct bearing on our lives than what the French are doing about immigration or banking, or what the Germans are doing about energy policy with Russia."

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/822488-general...-x-factor-shock

Is he a lunatic? Admitting he doesn't like Eastenders, Corrie or the X-Factor?

Some people might think he's an honest politician. Unlike Gordon who claims he's "less popular than Archie from The Eastenders"

Absolute tosh!

It's worse than that...

"After all I would no longer be living in the house, city or county so how could I be using their services? But I might have been dreaming there, because the conversation didn’t quite go as I had imagined. I was asked if my home would be furnished whilst no one was living there, to which I replied ‘Yes, it would be’.

Knowing this question sounded fishy I asked whether or not this would affect the amount of council tax discount I would be entitled to. "You would only be entitled to 10% sir, council rules" was the reply. Initially I thought I heard her wrong. But no, apparently being 380 miles away in a different country I will still be paying over £90 a month for the streetlights that I can't see and the ‘emptying’ of my rubbish bins. Even worse, if I actually lived there I would be paying less, as I would have been entitled to the full 25% discount for single adult occupancy!

Even if you don't live there you still pay. :icon_lol:

*Craig dragged down the Parky rabbit hole. <_<

Edited by Park Life

Absolute tosh!

Quite. Craig is beside himself he might get one over on me. <_<

There are other reasons why people don't register to vote...

Council Tax Benefit is a top-up benefit which helps with the costs of your Council Tax bill. It's payable if your income is low and you don't have too much capital. It's administered by your local authority.

It can be paid whether you're in rented housing or you're an owner-occupier, and you can claim it whether you're working on not.

Council Tax Benefit is different from Council Tax discounts and Council Tax reductions. For a description of the Council Tax system, see the Directgov website (see External links).

The main Council Tax Benefit is dependent on your circumstances. A 'second adult rebate' may be payable if you share your home with another adult who's on a low income, even if you're not eligible for the main Council Tax Benefit. Your claim covers both types of benefit and is on the same form as Housing Benefit. The main benefit may cover your whole Council Tax bill, while the second adult rebate pays a maximum of 25% of the bill.

If you get Income Support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, income-related Employment and Support Allowance or the Guarantee Credit part of Pension Credit, you'll get the maximum possible Council Tax Benefit. You'll also get maximum benefit if your income is below a level set by law (your applicable amount). If your income is above this level you may still get benefit but at a reduced level.

Edited by Park Life

It's worse than that...

"After all I would no longer be living in the house, city or county so how could I be using their services? But I might have been dreaming there, because the conversation didn’t quite go as I had imagined. I was asked if my home would be furnished whilst no one was living there, to which I replied ‘Yes, it would be’.

Knowing this question sounded fishy I asked whether or not this would affect the amount of council tax discount I would be entitled to. "You would only be entitled to 10% sir, council rules" was the reply. Initially I thought I heard her wrong. But no, apparently being 380 miles away in a different country I will still be paying over £90 a month for the streetlights that I can't see and the ‘emptying’ of my rubbish bins. Even worse, if I actually lived there I would be paying less, as I would have been entitled to the full 25% discount for single adult occupancy!

By definition, then, Parky supports MPs who maintain multiple residences but only pay tax on the "cheapest" of them.

It's a hard life. ;)

It's worse than that...

*Craig dragged down the Parky rabbit hole. :icon_lol:

By definition, then, Parky supports MPs who maintain multiple residences but only pay tax on the "cheapest" of them.

It's a hard life. ;)

You should have been a politician. <_<

It's worse than that...

"After all I would no longer be living in the house, city or county so how could I be using their services? But I might have been dreaming there, because the conversation didn't quite go as I had imagined. I was asked if my home would be furnished whilst no one was living there, to which I replied 'Yes, it would be'.

Knowing this question sounded fishy I asked whether or not this would affect the amount of council tax discount I would be entitled to. "You would only be entitled to 10% sir, council rules" was the reply. Initially I thought I heard her wrong. But no, apparently being 380 miles away in a different country I will still be paying over £90 a month for the streetlights that I can't see and the 'emptying' of my rubbish bins. Even worse, if I actually lived there I would be paying less, as I would have been entitled to the full 25% discount for single adult occupancy!

Even if you don't live there you still pay. :o

It's a hard life. ;)

Impossible, I'm right far too often for that. :icon_lol:

It's worse than that...

"After all I would no longer be living in the house, city or county so how could I be using their services? But I might have been dreaming there, because the conversation didn't quite go as I had imagined. I was asked if my home would be furnished whilst no one was living there, to which I replied 'Yes, it would be'.

Knowing this question sounded fishy I asked whether or not this would affect the amount of council tax discount I would be entitled to. "You would only be entitled to 10% sir, council rules" was the reply. Initially I thought I heard her wrong. But no, apparently being 380 miles away in a different country I will still be paying over £90 a month for the streetlights that I can't see and the 'emptying' of my rubbish bins. Even worse, if I actually lived there I would be paying less, as I would have been entitled to the full 25% discount for single adult occupancy!

Even if you don't live there you still pay. :nufc:

It's a hard life. ;)

Impossible, I'm right far too often for that. :icon_lol:

With that kind of delusion...Straight to the House of Lords with thee!1 :o

maybe the majority of the voting population aren't as idiotic as you think ? That would make you an idiot if you think this, wouldn't you agree ?

You clearly don't appreciate the value of actually having a vote, which doesn't make you very intelligent and as aware as you think you are yourself.

Most people will see the context of what I said. If you do not vote, then shame on you, when intelligent people in many countries don't have a choice in the matter.

Ok, three points to address here.

Firstly, I did not say the majority of the voting population were idiots, I said that there are some idiots who would only be voting if forced to. Are you denying the existence of idiots in the UK?

I don't appreciate the value of the vote? My entire point is that I don't want people who don't appreciate the value of the vote being forced to do so.

And lastly, where did I say I wasn't going to vote?

But aye, apart from that you're spot on. <_<

stop getting your knickers in a twist man, you don't have to disagree just because its me ;)

I actually agree with you that we don't want people who aren't fairly sound of mind or actions to vote if they have no interest in politics or don't value the fact that they have a vote.

The point is......they SHOULD value the fact they have a vote, when half the world would kill for it. But this is representative of too many people in this country, no respect for what the country used to stand for, and a lacklustre attitude to life

Absolute tosh!

Quite. Craig is beside himself he might get one over on me. <_<

There are other reasons why people don't register to vote...

Council Tax Benefit is a top-up benefit which helps with the costs of your Council Tax bill. It's payable if your income is low and you don't have too much capital. It's administered by your local authority.

It can be paid whether you're in rented housing or you're an owner-occupier, and you can claim it whether you're working on not.

Council Tax Benefit is different from Council Tax discounts and Council Tax reductions. For a description of the Council Tax system, see the Directgov website (see External links).

The main Council Tax Benefit is dependent on your circumstances. A 'second adult rebate' may be payable if you share your home with another adult who's on a low income, even if you're not eligible for the main Council Tax Benefit. Your claim covers both types of benefit and is on the same form as Housing Benefit. The main benefit may cover your whole Council Tax bill, while the second adult rebate pays a maximum of 25% of the bill.

If you get Income Support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, income-related Employment and Support Allowance or the Guarantee Credit part of Pension Credit, you'll get the maximum possible Council Tax Benefit. You'll also get maximum benefit if your income is below a level set by law (your applicable amount). If your income is above this level you may still get benefit but at a reduced level.

Fucking hell man Parky, this is more about benefits than council tax. The main point - the point you disputed - is that council tax is based on property and not the person. Moreover, the council tax register and electoral roll have NOTHING to do with each other, so its not even an issue.

Man up and admit you were wrong in this instance.

The electoral roll is what they use to check if people are avoiding council tax. ie Saying they live alone when infact they aren't etc...Sheez what do you think the thought police do all day?/ ;)

Absolute tosh!

The comment about "the more people who live in the house the more council tax you pay" is.... <_<

Absolute tosh!

It's worse than that...

Even if you don't live there you still pay. :o

Indeed... Therefore confirming that it's the property that is levied, not the person.

* Craig coils a huge turd into the Parky rabbit hole. :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

By the time of the 1992 general election, legislation had been passed replacing Community Charge with the Council Tax from the start of the 1993/94 financial year, but the VAT rate of 17.5% remained despite abolition of the poll tax.

The Council Tax strongly resembled the rating system that the Poll Tax had replaced. The main differences were that properties were placed in bands thereby capping the maximum amount, and it was levied on capital value rather than notional rental value of a property.

Households with only one occupant were also entitled to a 25% discount.

So it doesn't matter didly squat Parky whether there's 2 people living in the house or 200 - you pay the same amount ;)