General Election 2010

Christmas Tree

Toontastic pre-GE Poll  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm always more impressed when someone from a deprived comprehensive does well and gets into University, or even Oxbridge. There's no achievement in doing this if you went to Eton. I mix with a lot of public school types now who seem to think they are genetically superior to the proles in the likes of North Shields, it never seems to cross their minds that their success in life is all down to their privileged upbringing. I'm talking RGS types here. You can multiply that by ten for Eton.

If I have a chip on my shoulder then good. Like I said, why not bring on some class warfare. ;)

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I've stated on here previously, I'm due to inherit quite a bit when my Dad pops his clogs - not due to any money that has passed through my family, nor due to what he earned during his working life. It's all come about due to shit cirumstances of his Mam and Wife dying within 4 months of each other and life assurance paid out.

I have subtelties within my madness - I'd feel less "venegful" about those circumstances than the pure "landed gentry/duke of westminster" type stuff.

With that final bit I'm totally in agreement with you. But I don't feel that accounts for the majority.

As for you last paragraph - couldn't agree more but surely the inverse is true too? You can't berate them an account of their private education just as you couldn't on account of someone being education at Bensham Comp.

If they win, will it be a coincidence that the two most powerful men in the UK will have gone to the same most expensive school in the country, or will it say something about privilege in the tory party?

If they win, it's down to the electorate surely?

Yes, but what's your point? Do you think its an indication the tory party are the party of the priviliged or not?

I couldnt care less how the person was educated as long as they are "able" to do the job. However in this day and age I would have thought the better educated the better.

Perish the thought of John Prescott flying the world as leader.

Do you seriously think going to Eton provides you with better qualities to lead the country than going to a normal school? Keeps you in touch with the average guy?

I've been accused as an inverted snob on this thread (with some justification) but your last comment reeks of good old school snobbery.

Ive put it in Bold because you must have missed it first time round. ;)

I'm always more impressed when someone from a deprived comprehensive does well and gets into University, or even Oxbridge. There's no achievement in doing this if you went to Eton. I mix with a lot of public school types now who seem to think they are genetically superior to the proles in the likes of North Shields, it never seems to cross their minds that their success in life is all down to their privileged upbringing. I'm talking RGS types here. You can multiply that by ten for Eton.

If I have a chip on my shoulder then good. Like I said, why not bring on some class warfare. ;)

Woohoo ;) I did the shit comprehensive / university degree route. ;)

Woohoo :icon_lol: I did the shit comprehensive / university degree route. ;)

So did I. ;)

As for you last paragraph - couldn't agree more but surely the inverse is true too? You can't berate them an account of their private education just as you couldn't on account of someone being education at Bensham Comp.

If they win, will it be a coincidence that the two most powerful men in the UK will have gone to the same most expensive school in the country, or will it say something about privilege in the tory party?

Yes, but what's your point? Do you think its an indication the tory party are the party of the priviliged or not?

I couldnt care less how the person was educated as long as they are "able" to do the job. However in this day and age I would have thought the better educated the better.

Do you seriously think going to Eton provides you with better qualities to lead the country than going to a normal school? Keeps you in touch with the average guy?

I've been accused as an inverted snob on this thread (with some justification) but your last comment reeks of good old school snobbery.

OK then I'll rephrase, do you think that a persons upbringing may affect the job they do, in a political sense? What do you actually mean by 'do a good job'. For instance, is wealth generation your main concern for this country or do you have concerns about equality?

My point is that a party decides who it wants to lead them and then it's up to the electorate to decide which party runs the country. Brings me back to my opening point that we're desperately in need of electoral reform.

In short, Cameron & Osbourne can't 'buy' the right to run the country - it's down to its subjects to decide.

Votes can of course be bought and the media can have a huge influence on elections.

But that's by the by - I was simply making an observation that the tory party is a party of privilege and once elected will of course look after their own. It amazes me how so many people can't see this, but there you go.

Always amazes me as well, they will never change, they are what they are and will always look after the same people. You can sum them up that one of their aims on being elected is to reverse the ban on fox hunting!! Don't worry about the economy or crime, lets get posh people back watching foxes be ripped to shreds Dave!

Doesn't mean i think Labour are any use either and i wouldn't vote for either of them, but anything other than the tories is the lesser evil for me.

So did I. ;)

I've noticed in recent years my old school has slid into even more shitness to the point where they're going to close it shortly. (It's already been merged once and about to be merged again with the new school having brand new premises somewhere between the two). Getting an A-Level at all is considered an achievement there now.

Considering Blair's 'Education, education, education' campaign, this is an example of where it didn't go to plan.

I've never apologised for advocating class warfare - as far as I'm concerned the war was declared by them centuries ago.

OK then I'll rephrase, do you think that a persons upbringing may affect the job they do, in a political sense? What do you actually mean by 'do a good job'. For instance, is wealth generation your main concern for this country or do you have concerns about equality?

First part of your question is a how longs a piece of string question. Their upbringing may effect them in a good or bad way. Someone whose had a poor upbringing may bring a chip on the shoulder to the table with them. Someone who has been very privelidged may have an overwhelming desire to give back.

With regard to your second point, one can help create the other and a good government looks at the problems of the day and acts accordinly. An irresponsible government (traditionally labour) spends too much on the needy causes without first generating the wealth, hence fucking up the finances.

I've never apologised for advocating class warfare - as far as I'm concerned the war was declared by them centuries ago.

Not really even sure what either of these statements means, particularly in day to day life.

And which class are we talking about.....The disney make believe one? The real scum bag underclass, the 2 car home owning working class, the 3 car, detatched house owning middle class?????

First part of your question is a how longs a piece of string question. Their upbringing may effect them in a good or bad way. Someone whose had a poor upbringing may bring a chip on the shoulder to the table with them. Someone who has been very privelidged may have an overwhelming desire to give back.

With regard to your second point, one can help create the other and a good government looks at the problems of the day and acts accordinly. An irresponsible government (traditionally labour) spends too much on the needy causes without first generating the wealth, hence fucking up the finances.

Name an example to the bolded bit if you can. Tony Benn is the only obvious candidate but then he is Labour any way.

Your last comment sounds like a tory soundbite. You talked about myths before (incorrectly it seems unless you want to address NJS's points) but perhaps this is a myth too. Labour generated massive wealth this time around, only for it to collapse in the worst global crash for 80 years. Would the tories have faired better, relied less on banking wealth, had stricter controls? Would they hell. They presided over two of their own recessions last time round and did nothing for the victims of these.

And which class are we talking about.....The disney make believe one? The real scum bag underclass, the 2 car home owning working class, the 3 car, detatched house owning middle class?????

From my point of view, probably the monarchy and minor aristocracy down to Eton level of privilege. ;)

Btw, I still think its hilarious 'Eton Rifles' was Cameron's favourite song, the dickhead. He should lose the election for this alone. ;)

"them"

Who are The Sun supporting this time?

The biggest danger of this election is not having an outright winner. The markets need to see leadership if they are going to allow us to service our debt at decent rates. The debt needs sorting and the various approaches that each party proposes need evaluating. Given the lack of ideological distinctions, its more like voting for alternative management committees.

So did I. ;)

I've noticed in recent years my old school has slid into even more shitness to the point where they're going to close it shortly. (It's already been merged once and about to be merged again with the new school having brand new premises somewhere between the two). Getting an A-Level at all is considered an achievement there now.

Considering Blair's 'Education, education, education' campaign, this is an example of where it didn't go to plan.

Neither did his plan to end child poverty, increase equality or be tough on crime tough on the causes of crime. I don't think he promised to not plunge us into an 'illegal' war based on lies so that ok.

What England need is their own version of the SNP (and no, I don't mean like the BNP). No idea who I'm going to vote for personally, I mean let's face it there's only two runners in reality and they're both shite.

Who are The Sun supporting this time?

The biggest danger of this election is not having an outright winner. The markets need to see leadership if they are going to allow us to service our debt at decent rates. The debt needs sorting and the various approaches that each party proposes need evaluating. Given the lack of ideological distinctions, its more like voting for alternative management committees.

The sun came out for the Tories 2 months ago.

What England need is their own version of the SNP (and no, I don't mean like the BNP). No idea who I'm going to vote for personally, I mean let's face it there's only two runners in reality and they're both shite.

spot on

If I have a chip on my shoulder then good. Like I said, why not bring on some class warfare. :yes

Do the well off do less work to pass their exams?

If I have a chip on my shoulder then good. Like I said, why not bring on some class warfare. :yes

HF does have a good point here although I suspect that Renton will probably answer his question in the affirmative....

The public schools' strength is knowing how to work the system - they are experts at Oxbridge entrance exam and interview preparation whereas other schools might take the view that "he/she's our star pupil so will be okay". I know its an individual case but remember that lass a couple of years ago from the town who was a stellar pupil but failed the interview?

Of course there would be nothing wrong with a comp learning these techniques but there would be a massive catch-up period.

they "teach to the test"

and of course the home life of anyone who is at a private school is likely to be be more education minded - if your old man pays a bloody fortune to send you there he's going to be on your case t make sure it isn't wasted