Transfer Deadline Day 2011

Christmas Tree

Keegan knew he had to replace the goals too of course and his recognition of keeping the fans on board is best demonstrated by the famous moment on the steps outside the stadium.

The worst part for me is that there is arguable £3-4m worth of ticket sales 'sitting on the table' and if they are seen to do the right thing, people will come back.

precisely

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im interested to see the statement but a waste of time if it mirrors the excuses above.

I believe we were in for people (forgetting the last few days carry on) and the big question is why none of those could be finalised, even though some appeared pretty close.

Having done proper scouting work, wages shouldnt have been a problem.

Understandable that some might not want to move to the UK or see Arsenal as a better bet.

But the deals that seem to have fallen through over agents fees or a few million are the most depressing.

Is Ashley involved in those negotiations? Does he leave it Llambias who cant do it? Is this Lee bloke handling it?

As Ive said many times, Ashley would do himself many favours by having a proper football executive at the top like a David Dein. Someone who wasnt a cronie and could give Ashley a little nudge now and then.

From the outside it just looks as though deals have fallen through over pettiness or some amateur trying to play Johnny big balls.

I think you nailed it (yesterday iirc) like manky. I.e. even if we bid £15-20m the player won't sign because we won't pay the wages that are an inevitable consequence of that sort of transfer fee.

I think you only get into the realms of eg £15 million + transfer fees if theres competition for the players signature in the first place-and if theres competition for their signature, the competitor is likely to be willing to offer more wages. We're doing our business largely where there's no competitor, that way we can't be played off on wages as we're the only show in town. When competition emerges, that's typically when we lose interest.

Keegan knew he had to replace the goals too of course and his recognition of keeping the fans on board is best demonstrated by the famous moment on the steps outside the stadium.

The worst part for me is that there is arguable £3-4m worth of ticket sales 'sitting on the table' and if they are seen to do the right thing, people will come back.

I think the big difference between back then and now is that in Keegan's day there was massive respect towards the fans. These days we appear to be treated with contempt - like we're simply a massive irritation.

I think you nailed it (yesterday iirc) like manky. I.e. even if we bid £15-20m the player won't sign because we won't pay the wages that are an inevitable consequence of that sort of transfer fee.

I think you only get into the realms of eg £15 million + transfer fees if theres competition for the players signature in the first place-and if theres competition for their signature, the competitor is likely to be willing to offer more wages. We're doing our business largely where there's no competitor, that way we can't be played off on wages as we're the only show in town. When competition emerges, that's typically when we lose interest.

Aye, fair points, I'd also add that along with competition, any genuine desire of the other club to hang onto their player usually has the same effect.

I posted that very same point 2 years, 7 months and 3 days ago and you poo-pooed it. B)

I don't think its the transfer fee per se, I just think if you go to a certain fee, you're not going to get the player on the wages we pay. They will expect more.

you don't say.

The quote from that book, which I posted a few months ago, drew a direct parallel with success and wages in football. But of course, you scorned it. B)

I honestly don't know what you think you're proving any more. The team's who pay the most money generally have the best players? Yes, nice one Einstein. Do you seriously imagine my dispute is about these most basic of rudiments?

All Ashley really had to do was add a solid number 9 and most of us would have been quite pleased with the summers business. (given where we are).

Not only would he have got the crowd off his back, but a decent number nine would have paid for himself in increased ticket sales in two-three seasons.

I fear that FMA may have to get used to crowds of 42k.

I don't think its the transfer fee per se, I just think if you go to a certain fee, you're not going to get the player on the wages we pay. They will expect more.

you don't say.

The quote from that book, which I posted a few months ago, drew a direct parallel with success and wages in football. But of course, you scorned it. B)

I honestly don't know what you think you're proving any more. The team's who pay the most money generally have the best players? Yes, nice one Einstein. Do you seriously imagine my dispute is about these most basic of rudiments?

please therefore explain why you scorned the statistical proof that WAGES [rather than transfer fees] and success are linked, then post the same comment yourself. What a wierd cunt you are.

Einstein you ain't. :D

Im interested to see the statement but a waste of time if it mirrors the excuses above.

I believe we were in for people (forgetting the last few days carry on) and the big question is why none of those could be finalised, even though some appeared pretty close.

Understandable that some might not want to move to the UK or see Arsenal as a better bet.

But the deals that seem to have fallen through over agents fees or a few million are the most depressing.

Is Ashley involved in those negotiations? Does he leave it Llambias who cant do it? Is this Lee bloke handling it?

As Ive said many times, Ashley would do himself many favours by having a proper football executive at the top like a David Dein. Someone who wasnt a cronie and could give Ashley a little nudge now and then.

From the outside it just looks as though deals have fallen through over pettiness or some amateur trying to play Johnny big balls.

Get it in to your thick head, we were never in for anyone and had no intention of signing anyone. They're a pack of lying bastards.

Get it in to your thick head, we were never in for anyone and had no intention of signing anyone. They're a pack of lying bastards.

I think its pretty safe to say we were in for Erdinc and Maiga but they managed to fuck it up

Bring on the excuses....

@MetroRadioNews: This morning's Journal reports #nufc will release a statement to fans later, after failing to sign a new striker.

They're taking their time dreaming up the bullshit.....

Bring on the excuses....

@MetroRadioNews: This morning's Journal reports #nufc will release a statement to fans later, after failing to sign a new striker.

They're taking their time dreaming up the bullshit.....

Just before 11 tonight they'll say there's not going to be a statement after all.

Edited by alex

B) Eight fucking months man. That's how long they had. Half the names weren't even mentioned until the last minute.

Apparently in order to get a striker you have to actually bid for one, or bid for one with the intention of succeeding.

Amazing though isn't it? Even when Sochaux though there was a slight chance they could lose Maiga they implemented a plan & got in another striker. Obviously holding on to the star man.

Making 11th hour offers to clubs overseas is never going to be successful because they won't get the paperwork done in time & everyone knows it!

How this fucka has managed to find a woman, marry her, have kids and hold down a job is fucking beyond me. The daft shite would struggle to get a game of pool in the Geoffrey Rhodes Centre.

B)

In the words of Sick Boy. FUCKIN SAY SOMETHING HUH!!!

Carlton Cole might be off after all (to Galatasaray).

edit; what makes the Turkish league so special that they can have a few more days after the rest of the Europe to bring players in?

Is it not on loan? I think there's a week or two week period after the window closes before loans can restart though.

Oh and the goalposts keep moving... B)

lee_ryder Lee Ryder

#nufc to make a statement this evening, club also agree to answer fans questions from @EveningChron readers

lee_ryder Lee Ryder

#nufc @EveningChron readers questions will be answered next week by the board

Who was it who said the Chronicle was in the club's back pocket? :D

B) Eight fucking months man. That's how long they had. Half the names weren't even mentioned until the last minute.

Apparently in order to get a striker you have to actually bid for one, or bid for one with the intention of succeeding.

Amazing though isn't it? Even when Sochaux though there was a slight chance they could lose Maiga they implemented a plan & got in another striker. Obviously holding on to the star man.

Making 11th hour offers to clubs overseas is never going to be successful because they won't get the paperwork done in time & everyone knows it!

Like I say Super Mac is adamant Fulham have said no toon bid was even made. I believe it too.