Transfer Deadline Day 2011

Christmas Tree

The Abeid deal has gone through today.

4 in, 1 out.

2 out, Carroll wasn't replaced.

...and Abeid is 18 and coming into the reserves.

Who're your two?

Nolan is the only player we've lost this window. Brought in Ba, Cabaye, Marveux and Abeid. Not sure about the latter two, but they're still additions.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Abeid deal has gone through today.

4 in, 1 out.

2 out, Carroll wasn't replaced.

No he wasnt but it made no difference. I'm counting from the end of last season to the start of next/Sep 1st anyway. You can count from whenever you like. Could count Campbell and Kuqi too so its 4 in and 3 out but since neither of them threatened the first team much or had any potential, i'm not going to.

You know what i find ironic is that if the club i love does reasonably well next season i will have the opportunity to call people out for being wankers.

If the opposite is true, then other people can call me out for being wrong and gloat over how poorly we are doing, in the process also making them wankers.

Win win.

Abeid is 19 next month and plays for France's under-19s. Highly rated player.

Sounds like he could be a real good player. Might see him on the bench a couple times next season who knows.

You know what i find ironic is that if the club i love does reasonably well next season i will have the opportunity to call people out for being wankers.

If the opposite is true, then other people can call me out for being wrong and gloat over how poorly we are doing, in the process also making them wankers.

Win win.

:)

Win win.

The LM West Brom equaliser/Carroll&Nolan sale paradigm

Win win.

Just pointing out facts. Carroll wasn't replaced because they say they didn't have time to. For all intents and purposes then this is their first chance at replacing him. If you consider Ba as his replacement then you either need to include Carroll's departure in your in/out calculations or exclude Ba's arrival. I'm only interested in the strength of the team, but I also like to take into account the incomings and outgoings. Even with Carroll we were in my opinion one forward short of having a good pair up front. The expectation was that we'd bring in players during the January window, but instead we ended it with fewer options for the first team than when it started. That's in the past, no need to wait to have the truth available there.

Just heard some ITK stuff from the horse's mouth, and the basic message is do not get excited for the rest of the window (plans are to get a striker in and that's it. They are a mile away in valuation for this Erdinc or whatever he's called). Enrique basically isn't even speaking to the club at this stage, and they are hoping that him and Barton will attract bids later in the window - not much interest for Enrique to date.

And they would love to hold on to Tiote for another year (such ambition!), but if the right offer comes in....which isn't a surprise.

Just heard some ITK stuff from the horse's mouth, and the basic message is do not get excited for the rest of the window (plans are to get a striker in and that's it. They are a mile away in valuation for this Erdinc or whatever he's called). Enrique basically isn't even speaking to the club at this stage, and they are hoping that him and Barton will attract bids later in the window - not much interest for Enrique to date.

And they would love to hold on to Tiote for another year (such ambition!), but if the right offer comes in....which isn't a surprise.

No great surprise if this were true tbh.

I admire Chez's optimism and his posts regarding finance and how that side works are good to read. I do have a suspicion that as he is a high-level thinker (relatively - I mean he's no Deadman but he knows his macro-economics), he likes to take up contrary positions as he can make coherent and thoughtful arguments as to why he takes such a view. I may be wrong about this, but even if it were true, it's good for the forum.

Who are they expecting to play at LB if Enrique gans like? Such brilliant management.

Also, I'm not one to want to see loads of money flung about but if we don't spend at least £20 million on the squad this summer, it's a fucking disgrace.

Edited by Ayatollah Hermione

It would be a shame if we only brought one more player in. I'm not one of these who thinks because we got 35million it must be spent, but I would like to see at least three more players ( Wing back, two strikers ) whether they cost 5million or 30million it doesn't matter as long as they have some quality.

I admire Chez's optimism and his posts regarding finance and how that side works are good to read. I do have a suspicion that as he is a high-level thinker (relatively - I mean he's no Deadman but he knows his macro-economics), he likes to take up contrary positions as he can make coherent and thoughtful arguments as to why he takes such a view. I may be wrong about this, but even if it were true, it's good for the forum.

There is an element of truth in that because if an argument is based on 2 opposing opinions (not fact based), i'll tend to side with people i feel are being picked on. Basically because the downside of being wrong on an internet forum is in reality non-existent and a lot of the isssues being debated are rarely black and white. Supporting a more positive point of view is a good way to pressure test the direction the club is taking. Its just as important to have stubborn fuckers like Leazes reminding everyone of the historical context. Ultimately, this is just a forum and i find them a bit boring when everyone agrees on everything.

On Gemmill's equine information, quite positive really, we know Barton is going nowhere (or i reckon anyway, usual caveats) and if we gain a striker and dont lose anyone, it wont have been a bad summer. 6 in, 1 out would be acceptable to me.

I usually take up the opposite stance. Only when I find people like LM have such extreme views while mine are more balanced. Truth is, I am concerned about where the club is heading under Ashley and have done for a while. Clearly things are being done on the cheap and us being a selling club is more of a reality each season that passes. However, I also think some of the deals we do at he moment are decent. It's a shame the club can't see that we need a mix of both. Sure, do the deals, get the free transfers, but for fuck sake invest using real money when its needed also and dont be so quick to accept bids for key players.

As for the rest of the window, Id be satisfied if we made a solid signing a forward. With a new forward plus Ba, plus what we have Id feel it was stronger than last season. Get rid of two from Best, Lov & Ranger. We need to hold on to enrique and Barton but I reckon at least one will go and not be replaced.

There is an element of truth in that because if an argument is based on 2 opposing opinions (not fact based), i'll tend to side with people i feel are being picked on. Basically because the downside of being wrong on an internet forum is in reality non-existent and a lot of the isssues being debated are rarely black and white. Supporting a more positive point of view is a good way to pressure test the direction the club is taking. Its just as important to have stubborn fuckers like Leazes reminding everyone of the historical context. Ultimately, this is just a forum and i find them a bit boring when everyone agrees on everything.

On Gemmill's equine information, quite positive really, we know Barton is going nowhere (or i reckon anyway, usual caveats) and if we gain a striker and dont lose anyone, it wont have been a bad summer. 6 in, 1 out would be acceptable to me.

6 in, 1 out?

Kuqi, Campbell, Nolan so far out.

The club have also put Best and Smith up for transfer. Ranger being offered about too.

Both regularly made up he matchday squad though. With Sol starting a few games. You're counting Abeid(I think), but it seems like he's(full of potential) signed for the reserves. In which case it looks like he'll be Lua lua's replacement.

In terms of bodies in for the first team squad does anyone know how likely Vuckic and Kadar are to step-up?

I must admit to knowing very little about these two but maybe some of you who are regular reserve team watchers have seen (I appreciate they both had fairly long term injuries last season) more of them.

It would be good to see more of the youngsters coming through but, obviously, only if they are good enough.

The likes of Ferguson never disgraced himself when he got the chance but he is still probably a year or two away from being a regular first teamer.

Well apparently the rules are flexible as you can already draw conclusions on how the transfer window will end and then use that to make judgements about our future. I think in that case i'll just assume Abeid breaks into the first team by the end of October. :rolleyes:

To be honest i dont reckon the board even knows how this transfer window will end, a lot of the activity is opportunistic. We can say how it might end on the basis of what we know has happened in the past. Thats just like a weatherman predicting tomorrow's weather will be just like todays (a highly successful strategy btw). We were tracking Merveaux but that transfer was far from a targeted single-minded pursuit of one player, it was an opportunistic acquisition. I think the window is like this, many moons ago i posted an application of game theory (my own) to the transfer market on NO which argued against the possibility of planning for all eventualities. I think Leazes may have read this and some sort of debate on 'planning' was sparked :)

I've heard managers say a few times, you've got to be ready to take the opportunities when they arise and its probably this which explains the huge uncertainty for both the fans and the club at the minute as our lot seem to like operating like that.

I'm working on what the club are putting out.

Pardew says he hopes to sign 2more players. The journos reckon a striker. Erdinc, Neil Taylor and N'Zogbia seem to be the strongest links.

Regarding outgoings, the club are actively trying to offload Best, Smith, ranger and lualua. The Barton and Enrique situations are complicated and the club have no say regarding Enrique-they withdrew Bartons contract offer.

Oto Abeid, i think I'm right in saying he's never played a first team game. Hopefully he's a quality player. I don't expect him to impact too much on our coming season though.

I dont count Kuqi and Campbell otherwise we'd have to include all the 16 year olds released and players like Tozer (for all their worth to the club). If Smith leaves, i wont count him either.

Why not counting Carroll?

Being sold in January is not an adequate answer. The club have stated that they did not have time to replace him in that window. Might as well mock up a mock CT first 11 next season that wouldn't have included Nolan, then you can claim 4 in none out.

Intrigued by your logic or lack thereof.

I dont count Kuqi and Campbell otherwise we'd have to include all the 16 year olds released and players like Tozer (for all their worth to the club). If Smith leaves, i wont count him either.

Why not counting Carroll?

Being sold in January is not an adequate answer. The club have stated that they did not have time to replace him in that window. Might as well mock up a mock CT first 11 next season that wouldn't have included Nolan, then you can claim 4 in none out.

Intrigued by your logic or lack thereof.

Intrigued how you can start a thread on the outcome of a transfer window over 2 months before its closed.

Being an idiot is not an adequate answer.