Spain win 2010 WORLD CUP.

Park Life

Arsenal winger Theo Walcott is the surprise omission from England's 23-man World Cup squad, BBC Sport understands.

Walcott, 21, was in the provisional squad of 30 and started both of England's recent friendly victories against Mexico and Japan.

But Chelsea's Joe Cole has been included in the final squad, which flies to South Africa on Wednesday.

Manchester City winger Shaun Wright-Phillips also keeps his place, as does Tottenham defender Ledley King.

The Spurs skipper, 29, has been plagued by a chronic knee problem that restricts his ability to train and play back-to-back games in quick succession.

He featured for the first time under coach Fabio Capello against Mexico on 24 May, scoring with a first-half header.

King had previously been named in a Capello squad in March 2009 but withdrew after being assessed by the England medical staff

Gareth Barry had a fitness test on his injured ankle on Tuesday morning, with initial reports sounding favourable.

The Manchester City midfielder has not played since he picked up a ligament injury in a Premier League match against Tottenham on 5 May.

Walcott was a shock inclusion in former England boss Sven-Goran Eriksson's 2006 World Cup squad but did not feature in the tournament and the then-17-year-old's inclusion was widely criticised.

The right winger has since won 11 caps, with all three of his international goals coming in a 4-1 World Cup qualifying victory against Croatia in Zagreb on 10 September 2008.

Joe Cole is now fully fit after a serious knee ligament injury and produced an impressive second-half cameo during Sunday's 2-1 win against Japan.

After that match, Cole said: "I think I did all right. These games are never easy - you don't want to get injured and there were some tackles flying in.

"I've had a good 10 days training and a good 45 minutes. I just want to help England win the World Cup."

The World Cup begins on 11 June, with England's first game coming a day later against the United States in Rustenburg.

More to follow.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why is Walcott a surprise omission?

he genuinely shouldnt be going and hes not exactly one of our biggest stars ala gerrard/rooney

hes not played for his club much and hasnt produced in the england games hes had lately

why is Walcott a surprise omission?

he genuinely shouldnt be going and hes not exactly one of our biggest stars ala gerrard/rooney

hes not played for his club much and hasnt produced in the england games hes had lately

His lass is a nice bit of blart though.

No surprise that Walcott has been left out. Been absolute shite since the hat-trick game and it's not like Capello hasn't given him enough chances.

Not suprised at the toy throwing from the Mackems either but seriously, who was behind Bent in the pecking order anyway?

The defence worries me.

- King will get injured straight away and wont be able to play 3 games in 11(ish) days anyway if called upon.

- Upson turns like an oil tanker. Very overrated.

- Johnson is great going forward but generally a gash defender

- Ferdinand is out of form

- JT is out of form

- Warnock is untested

- Carragher has a had a poor-ish season.

getting pretty sick of the first reference anywhere to the england squad selection being about walcott not going

dawson was for more deserving of a place, I'd be pissed off if I was him that upson was going instead

Edited by Andrew

Guest Barrack Road
I think I remember seeing Kanu playing centre midfield for Nigeria a few years back.

He's got to be the ugliest black footballer in history. Uglier than Darren Moore even. What a player when he was young though, that hattrick against Chelsea in the last 5 minutes remains for me one of the top 5 moments since the start of the Premiership.

He just seems so slow and lazy these days it amazes me he keeps getting contracts.

That chip over de Goey(?) was superb.

I saw an interview with him when he transferred over and he seemed such a likeable guy. He was incredibly lonely as his family couldn't come over to live with him. He had heart trouble when he was only a kid at Inter too, I think.

Guest alex
I think I remember seeing Kanu playing centre midfield for Nigeria a few years back.

He's no Dwight Yorke mind :lol:

Guest Barrack Road
Suprised Carrick is going to be honest. Looked balls against Mexico

He's been shite for 2 years if you ask me. Tom Huddlestone should be there on form, but Carrick of 2008 was some player, passing probably as good as any English player, if he get that back I'd even start him, but I donno he's just seemed to have lost it lately.

So much for Capello's promise only to bring players playing regularly and in form for their club i.e. Heskey, Carrick, Cole, SWP

Edited by ewerk

Guest alex
Suprised Carrick is going to be honest. Looked balls against Mexico

He's been shite for 2 years if you ask me. Tom Huddlestone should be there on form, but Carrick of 2008 was some player, passing probably as good as any English player, if he get that back I'd even start him, but I donno he's just seemed to have lost it lately.

I know, shame like as the player he was back then would be perfect for international football.

England's 2010 World Cup squad have arrived in South Africa in upbeat mood after it was confirmed that Fabio Capello had agreed a new contract

The 23-man squad arrived in Johannesburg at 08:00 BST on Thursday after an 11-hour flight from London and will head on to Rustenburg which will be their base for the tournament.

England are a best price 7/1 to win in South Africa with Ladbrokes, who have launched an incredible World Cup offer for new customers, offering £25 free when you deposit just £5!

This offer has never been seen before, with Britain's biggest bookie offering punters an amazing 500% sign-up bonus.

Ladbrokes will then give you 4x£5 free bets to use on any sport by phone, the internet or via your mobile phone. In addition, Ladbrokes will also send you a £5 free bet card in the post for you to use in a Ladbrokes betting shop!

Capello, who had been linked with the Inter Milan manager's job once England's World Cup campaign was over, agreed a new deal on Wednesday that will see him stay in charge of the Three Lions until after Euro 2012.

England's first World Cup game is on Saturday, June 12th when they take on the USA.

North Korea tried to get past the 3 goalkeeper rule by listing one of their strikers as a Goalkeeper, but now Fifa have come out and said that they can only play him as a goalkeeper, and not as an outfield player, and they aren't allowed to change their squad ;)

North Korea tried to get past the 3 goalkeeper rule by listing one of their strikers as a Goalkeeper, but now Fifa have come out and said that they can only play him as a goalkeeper, and not as an outfield player, and they aren't allowed to change their squad ;)

:icon_lol:

Rush goalie?

Edited by Park Life

Peter Crouch will be on Cloud Nine as hitman aims to emulate England's World Cup greats

EXCLUSIVE By Matt Lawton

Chief Football Correspondent

Last updated at 7:44 AM on 3rd June 2010

* Comments (1)

* Add to My Stories

Ten is the number worn by the football gods. Pele, Maradona, Platini, Zidane. But England’s No 9 at a World Cup has also long been associated with greatness.

In 1966 and 1970 it was Bobby Charlton; in ‘98 Alan Shearer. Nat Lofthouse was the first back in 1954 (in 1950 they did not have fixed squad numbers) and some other

wonderful players have since followed Bolton’s ‘Lion of Vienna’. Glenn Hoddle and Peter Beardsley are members of the same exclusive club, as is a certain Wayne Rooney.

But Rooney’s preference for the 10 this time around has provided a vacancy and the player chosen by Fabio Capello to wear the nine in South Africa this month is not someone who necessarily captures the imagination like his more illustrious predecessors.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldcup2...l#ixzz0pmdYY5Pg

Guest The Three Lions

You know those wanky texts that get sent round. Got one off a mate last week, I was half asleep reading it and 10% believed it when I was scrolling down.

"What you doing for the World Cup, you off work? You'll never believe it I've won tickets for the three group games, 5 star accomodation, £10,000 spending money between four of us. Flights leave Gatwick 10th July so if you're free could you put my bins out please."

haha :icon_lol:

I tell you what it is the excitement of this has got a fire in me belly, am either in Scotland watching it, or in town either way it will be an all day session, or probably a black eye if any jocks celebrate if USA score if I'm up there.

I am mad for it, truly. It's the football fetishists heaven, I'm only working mornings for the next three weeks from next Friday. A lot of people will be dismissive of it, but when it catches fire the World Cup will fuckin grip this country. The fair weather people will be forced in to it from the QFs, by the Semi's it will be fever pitch, and if we get to the final with the weather the broadcasters are talking about, fuck me what a summer it's going to be ;). I bet the pregnancy rate goes up if England do really well.

Guest alex

Hold it down, Stevie. There's still a week and a bit to go ;)

Can't wait either like, I fucking love the World Cup.