Favourite Pubs

Park Life

The Badger for food

The Badger is canny enough but its part of a chain iirc. There seems to be a massive shortage of independent pubs doing decent food in this region, especially in and around Newcastle and North Tyneside. Anybody got any foody recommendations?

Shiremoor Farm has decent bait for a pub, beer's not too shabby either.

That's my local food pub of choice but it can get really packed. It's not great for veggies either tbh (for the wife, not me). Went to the Pavillion the other day and it was poor, although it had the bonus that the waitresses apparently weren't wearing skirts. Also went to the Maggy bank before Christmas and the food was poor and massively overpriced to boot. Most the other pubs are just 2 for £8 merchants. Poor show really.

True, there's not much to choose from.

Next time you go up Northumberland, it's worth making a trip to The Cook and Barker at Newton-on-the-Moor.

The food is superb, it has rooms if you fancy a stopover too. I can't comment on the veggie options, but if it's on par with the cooked flesh, it'll be grand

Cook and Barker tinterwebs

That looks lush. :o

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Renton, your best bet in London is finding a Sam Smith pub.

other than that what kind of pub are you after? non-touristy, or something more specific?

Brew all their own stuff and excellent it is too. :o

Cheap as chips also, think last time I was in there bitter was £2 or so.

All these near the city (around Farringdon)

The Cheshire Cheese is canny and interesting..

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/15/...se/Fleet_Street

as is the Princess Louise

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/19/..._Louise/Holborn

non Samuel Smiths...

I quite like the Ye Olde Mitre http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/15/...d_Mitre/Holborn

Lock stock was filmed in there I think.

Jerusalem Tavern is very olde worlde proper pub and has excellent St Peters Beer.

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/16/...ern/Clerkenwell

You'll find most of the good shit on that website tbh.

My favourite pub in London is in Fortis Green..The Alexandria. awesome jukebox and atmosphere, but unless you live in Muswell Hill or East Finchley it's not much use to you. http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/21/...a/East_Finchley

Edited by trophyshy

Trust the Fish to pick the Oak as the best pub in Leeds. It isn't even the best pub in Headingley. Although I suppose he did used to work there or something so he is biased.

Got to admit bias, but I'd hear you favourite pub in Headingley?

Coalbrookdale Inn, Coalbrookdale, Telford.

LR101017.jpg

Does a cracking Mixed Grill too if I remember correctly.

The food was great, people could bring their dogs in, and it had real ale. I used to go there when I did my post-grad in 2005=2006. I think the guy who owned it was called Danny, and from Brum. He was in the process of turning it into a fancy B&B at the time.

Renton, your best bet in London is finding a Sam Smith pub.

other than that what kind of pub are you after? non-touristy, or something more specific?

Brew all their own stuff and excellent it is too. :o

Cheap as chips also, think last time I was in there bitter was £2 or so.

All these near the city (around Farringdon)

The Cheshire Cheese is canny and interesting..

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/15/...se/Fleet_Street

as is the Princess Louise

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/19/..._Louise/Holborn

non Samuel Smiths...

I quite like the Ye Olde Mitre http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/15/...d_Mitre/Holborn

Lock stock was filmed in there I think.

Jerusalem Tavern is very olde worlde proper pub and has excellent St Peters Beer.

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/16/...ern/Clerkenwell

You'll find most of the good shit on that website tbh.

My favourite pub in London is in Fortis Green..The Alexandria. awesome jukebox and atmosphere, but unless you live in Muswell Hill or East Finchley it's not much use to you. http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/21/...a/East_Finchley

The Mitre is canny (it was Snatch by the way) but you can fit about 4 punters in there.

The Ten Bells in Spitalfields is good alternative in the City (East End really) now the tourists have left (supposedly where Jack the Ripper picked up one of his victims). Good beers, a bit of history, and the grafitti in the bogs is hilarious. Good times all round.

Trust the Fish to pick the Oak as the best pub in Leeds. It isn't even the best pub in Headingley. Although I suppose he did used to work there or something so he is biased.

Arcadia is my first port of call now. Does great beer.

Tbf the Oak was my local for 2 years when I was a student though. I still go in occasionally.

I live in Chapel Allerton now, there's a pub called the Mustard Pot there. Better range of food and beer and a large beer garden. Like a much much nicer version than the Oak.

Tbf the Oak was my local for 2 years when I was a student though. I still go in occasionally.

I live in Chapel Allerton now, there's a pub called the Mustard Pot there. Better range of food and beer and a large beer garden. Like a much much nicer version than the Oak.

Used to run a gig in Chapel Allerton, at the 7 Art centre. It's normally a decent night, you should get yourself along. Probably still square you and a friend away gratis.

Is Arcadia by the supermarket and Wilkinsons? Can honestly say I've never been in, looked pretty small, but that's no guarantee of anything

Used to run a gig in Chapel Allerton, at the 7 Art centre. It's normally a decent night, you should get yourself along. Probably still square you and a friend away gratis.

Is Arcadia by the supermarket and Wilkinsons? Can honestly say I've never been in, looked pretty small, but that's no guarantee of anything

Yeah that's the one, it's pretty much at the end of the Arndale centre. They've recently expanded.

Maybe I will, although moving from Chapel A pretty soon - working in Bradford for at least the next 15 months and getting fed up with the commute so looking at places in Horsforth tomorrow.

Yeah that's the one, it's pretty much at the end of the Arndale centre. They've recently expanded.

Maybe I will, although moving from Chapel A pretty soon - working in Bradford for at least the next 15 months and getting fed up with the commute so looking at places in Horsforth tomorrow.

Throw me a PM if you want to go, I think it's still the last Wednesday of every month...

I mentioned it to David Kelly, the Richard Steeles on Haverstock Hill was my local for 5 years. Was a great pub, mix of celebrities, coke dealers, local nutters and fashionistas. The craic was always good.

It was also the pub in the film Goal when the lad goes out for a drink with Anna Friel.

05%20-%20The%20High%20Crown%202005.JPG

I used to go here with my Father before they modernised it and made it shit. I was 17 and I had just got my first house with my brother who was a bit older and I was still going to college and and would meet my Dad there every friday afternoon after he'd finished work (He was an Engineer for BAE) and I had just got out of bed or finished at college.

It was mint, a proper smoky old bar and all his mates were there from a long time ago and the crack was class, plus for me it was a great experience as I had never really been comfortable in a proper pub before.

I have never been in since they modernised it and neither did my Dad as we had moved elsewhere but this place - or what it was - will always be something in my memories.

I wish I had a pound for every pint I've had in the High Crown. Not to mention the Black Horse, Lambton, Bridge, Fighting Cocks, Red Lion,Butchers .....all great pubs before they were done out. Sad really.

Every time I had ever been there I will be amazed if I ever paid for a pint!

I like the Market Tavern (Joiners/Miners) or the Bridge (Where I would meet my Dad after he would never go back to the crown) but these days I will go to the Red lion to wait for my bus after work.

Not mine but used to go in with Gdad for a pint after he'd had a hospital appt as they did decent guest ales, Dunno if they still do?

millstone-77189507.jpg

Used to do really good scran but nowadays its gone downhill, more "get it out quick" than quality.

This is what Id class as my local these days, its a canny little bar witha few real ales on tap.

2204dc4e0608fca043160a4af958f80c.jpg

When I was much younger (17-19) then we used to spend weekends in here.

peregrinenewcastle.jpg

Busy on Wednesdays at the moment, but thanks anyway.

:D I believe the phrase is "BLAAAAN OOT!"

:icon_lol:

I am man! A comedy night would be great but I'm doing jujitsu every night of the week apart from Fridays at the moment.

Busy on Wednesdays at the moment, but thanks anyway.

:D I believe the phrase is "BLAAAAN OOT!"

:icon_lol:

I am man! A comedy night would be great but I'm doing jujitsu every night of the week apart from Fridays at the moment.

Sounds like you have a date on Friday night then Fish....

Guest Barrack Road

My two locals of choice when I'm down here.

thecrown.jpg

The Crown, Blackheath

Canny pub, mixture of stuck up posh cunt, and Lewisham/Bexley slag looking for a shag / Dartford/Woolwich charva. The only thing that pisses me off about it is rugby seems to get preferential treatment to football on the screens.

2663058995_da3960f82d.jpg

Dylans, Lewisham

This bar is as grubby as it looks inside, its a really rough bar but I pass it most nights, had 2 pints there last night, been in loads of times before, and the locals are ridiculously friendly. This is pwopa Landun sahn, where Wist Aym are caants and Miwwaww rule the roost. Never been in on my own before where someone hasn't come and had a conversation with me. Dropped 20 quid on the MOTD machine last night it didn't pay out and the bar manager didn't query it just gave me the 20's. If you leave every ounce of snobbery behind you, and you're in the area have a pint in there. £3 stella aint bad.