What mood are you in and why?

catmag

Told my auntie yesterday we weren't having the bairn christened.

She was shocked. Not on religious grounds, she just thought we should do it to have the option of catholic schools left open to us.

That's the extent of enthusiasm for religion these days.

We'll not be bringing the bairn up Muslim in case there's any particularly good madrassas either.

I obviously consider myself a damn good cynic but the two-way conspiracy of parents and churches conflating baptism/church attendance with school placing is a whole different level.

Obviously not getting at Cath here btw - I know you are still what counts as a proper catholic these days.

Absolutely shit. Out last night till 5, dragged to Kingston by work people which is a nightmare to get home from. Spent ages in the freezing cold trying to get a taxi, which cost a ridiculous amount. Plus the girl I'm crazy about couldn't do much more to avoid me and then when trying to get her home had a massive go at me. She possibly got off with my best mate in the office afterwards as well. So add that to the wallet shrinking, completely writing off a day of a long weekend I feel fucking great.

.....Who has just this second sent me quite a long apology and I've just slightly melted.

Women.

:lol:

Don't reply!!

Not for a day or two at least.

Did not go well. Few messages back and forth, nothing particularly bad but "we want different things". Gutted, if I'm honest.

I obviously consider myself a damn good cynic but the two-way conspiracy of parents and churches conflating baptism/church attendance with school placing is a whole different level.

Obviously not getting at Cath here btw - I know you are still what counts as a proper catholic these days.

I'm far from a proper Catholic! :lol: But I'm a quiet one that takes the bits from the faith that help me. I hope my son will do the same and I'll teach him that it's okay for him to do that.

Incidentally his daddy is a teacher at a non-Catholic school and has absolutely no religious affiliation whatsoever but he trusts me enough to make that decision regarding our son's education and faith which I appreciate hugely.

Meme-3.jpeg

Don't give me that face. Atheism is the belief gods/deities/higher power doesn't exist. It is not simply a "lack of belief in god" as many would define it. A mere lack of belief defines people who have never given the topic much thought or have never even heard of the concept of god.

Don't give me that face. Atheism is the belief gods/deities/higher power doesn't exist. It is not simply a "lack of belief in god" as many would define it. A mere lack of belief defines people who have never given the topic much thought or have never even heard of the concept of god.

Firstly, setting aside your definition of atheism, to claim there are none is demonstrably wrong.

I would define atheism as "without the belief there is a god*".

People who've not given the subject much thought at more likely to be described as agnostic as they're unlikely to set their flag on either side of the debate with any real conviction.

You're assuming that Atheism is a reaction to theism, it isn't. Atheism is the starting point and thereafter if one acquires the belief that there is a god, one can be said to be theist. If one does not, one can be described as atheist. New born children are atheists; they are without the belief in a god. Whether there is one or not, they don't yet believe in it, they're without a theist mindset, they're a-theist.

*I can't be arse to continually type God/Gods/higher power/deity/deities/cloudy-beardy-magic-man

Edited by The Fish

:lol:

That which has been considered must exist?

New born children are not atheists, they are ignostics. New born children don't even know about the concept of god so how can they choose to not believe in it.

They're not agnostic, because they have no concept of god, so how can they be undecided on the veracity of either side of the debate? They're atheist because they are "a-" (without) "theist" (the belief that at least one deity exist). Simple as that.

agnostic

Is there no such thing as apolitical either?

Cos CT gives being oblivious a pretty good go.

Agnostic = without knowledge. Atheist = without gods. Atheism is a deliberate choice not to believe in gods. It is not a default position.

Agnostic = without knowledge. Atheist = without gods. Atheism is a deliberate choice not to believe in gods. It is not a default position.

Of course it's the default. :huh: