What mood are you in and why?

catmag

Going to be a long day unless I can convince Jnr "he" needs a snooze.

I can guarantee that won't happen because they're stubborn little monsters :lol:

Not quite in the Fist stakes but fairly ropey this morning.

Never mix string beer and string wine. Yuk!

Ropey, String

I'm seeing a common thread here...

:lol:

Mrs. F. has gone out with Fistlette for a punishment shop......

..... leaving me with Fist Jr. who has decided that I must, without delay, be told the name and background of every one of his 100+ toy cars.

The little Cathflap

:lol:

Had a lovely Easter Sunday with the family and then took the bairn for his first ever Arena show. For those of you with kids - Justin Fletcher is a genius :D

I now have the stress of the next couple of weeks waiting to find out if the bairn has got a place at the school I want him to go to in September. Kind of regretting not putting a second choice down now even though we fit all of the criteria to get into my first choice...

Had a lovely Easter Sunday with the family and then took the bairn for his first ever Arena show. For those of you with kids - Justin Fletcher is a genius :D

I now have the stress of the next couple of weeks waiting to find out if the bairn has got a place at the school I want him to go to in September. Kind of regretting not putting a second choice down now even though we fit all of the criteria to get into my first choice...

Slightly off topic, one of my old bosses told me about when she was a kid her mother was desperate for her to go to a certain school. She didn't get in but on the first day the mother took her there anyway. The boss didn't even know she was at the wrong school, she sat there all day while all the other kids had been allocated to their classes/forms, bit like the last kid picked for a game of football, expect she was never picked.

She had to wait there all day not knowing why she had been left alone until she was picked up at the end of school.

Please don't do this to your boy :lol: it was probably one of the most tragic stories I have ever been told :lol:

Still got a persistent fever and feel like crap. My friend, or more of an acquaintance if I'm honest, passed away today through lung cancer after an 18 month 'battle' he was never going to win. He was my age - 42. Only reason I'm posting this I the hope it will make some people stop and think.

What sort of criteria do they use?

What sort of criteria do they use?

It's a Catholic school so the places are allocated by the school themselves as they are voluntary aided as opposed to the LEA. Priority is given to children in care (very few in our area) then it's children who have a sibling in the school already then children who are baptised and live in the parish (us) After that it's children outside the parish/not baptised/of other faiths/miscellaneous etc.

Thing is, the school is only admitting 25 children into reception class which is the smallest amount in the local area so I'm just a bit twitchy about it. It's also the school I went to as a child and I know it's an excellent school with a good OFSTED report. Anyway, officially I find out on April 16th but I also know 2 of the school governors who decide who gets places. I've so far avoided asking them outright if the bairn has a place but I may give in over the next 2 weeks...

Do they ram the Catholicism down the kids throats at catholic schools? Genuine question. Each to their own but I think I would prefer my kids to grow up agnostic and make up their own mind on religion rather than have it taught to them as fact

Obviously it's taught as a priority but it by no means excludes other religions. I can only speak from my own experience and I left school 20 yrs ago (fucking hell man) but it wasn't all fire and brimstone and we were taught about other religions too. Oh and rest assured that I'm broad-minded enough to teach and encourage my son to make up his own mind when it comes to his beliefs. Bear in mind that I'm a divorced single mother who should have been struck by lightning and ex-communicated a long time ago.

Obviously it's taught as a priority but it by no means excludes other religions. I can only speak from my own experience and I left school 20 yrs ago (fucking hell man) but it wasn't all fire and brimstone and we were taught about other religions too. Oh and rest assured that I'm broad-minded enough to teach and encourage my son to make up his own mind when it comes to his beliefs. Bear in mind that I'm a divorced single mother who should have been struck by lightning and ex-communicated a long time ago.

I'd like to think its changed for the most part since I left school ( which is more than 20 years ago :)) - I went to a Christian Brothers school and it was very much "Catholics are fine, everyone else will burn in hell". However they couldn't stop the real world and even though there was still constant prayers and masses, most teachers knew that y the time we reached 16 (never mind 18) most of us didn't believe any more.

I do vehemently oppose Faith schools on principle but I know that they aren't the brainwashing institutions I and others sometimes say they are when arguing the case. I just find it sad the hoops people have to go through to get "good" schools when I think it wouldn't take that much to ensure all schools were good.

(Of course there are still some schools which go too far and I'd close them in a heartbeat).

I went to a C of E primary and while it was an excellent school generally, I don't think I even knew other religions existed by the time I'd left, other than what I'd heard outside of school. :lol: I'd already made up my mind by then that I wasn't a Christian and now I'm happily atheist.

pretty much in my experience although i'd say it could well be different here than in England, primary school you get first confession/communion/confirmation before you were old enough to understand or care (for me i was just turned 11 by time i was confirmed), then in my grammar school (which had a seminary attached to it) R.E was mandatory as a subject upto/incld gcse and then you had an hour a week of time filler religion classes in sixth form.

Before any class the teachers could have you saying a prayer and what not, which was generally done in latin and most of these teachers weren't even the priests (we did have priests who were teachers as well) , at times you were having to say the hail mary 5 times a day (I still know it off by heart in latin), and again there was mandatory masses to attend as a year and such (certain holy days).

(the nuns were the worst for not being up for debating certain viewpoints)

BUT none of this really makes any odds to whether you'll be religious or not imo, i haven't an ounce of faith and was questioning it before i was confirmed, but at 10/11 it's easier to go along with it and accept the "just, because you do" answer you're given in reply :lol: ... plus you tend to get money/presents for such things, ninja turtles and bikes bought my silence ;)

Thing is the schools i went to our good schools... and primarily that's the concern for where people want to send their kids, the religion stuff they do as a kid will be overwritten when they're older and decide for themselves what/who/if they believe, in the meantime if they want to think there is a mystical being looking out for them and learn foundations of being a decent person like "don't steal, treat people how you want to be treated" then no real harm in it.

(they won't cover the properly moronic ideas the church has on contraception/same sex relationships etc till they're old enough to understand anyway)

edit > oh aye i don't care if people have faith or not, i just don't. (I just dislike the fact that faith/religion effects things here that cover everyone... from shop opening hours to civil rights)

You personally obviously came out of it alright but I don't think catholic schools are as benign as you make out they are, especially - I imagine - in Ireland. Many people, particularly women, are left permanently scarred by the concept of catholic guilt. I also came out the process alright, but I have to say I have a massive problem with the fact that the church wanted to brainwash me with loads of bullshit masquerading as fact from the off. I'd get rid of all faith schools personally.

You personally obviously came out of it alright but I don't think catholic schools are as benign as you make out they are, especially - I imagine - in Ireland.

Nah, most people nowadays have enough outside influences to ensure that they aren't completely brainwashed. One of the good things about Catholic schools making students do religion up to GCSE is that the national curriculum requires them to teach kids about the other major religions too so it isn't a complete indoctrination.

Told my auntie yesterday we weren't having the bairn christened.

She was shocked. Not on religious grounds, she just thought we should do it to have the option of catholic schools left open to us.

That's the extent of enthusiasm for religion these days.

We'll not be bringing the bairn up Muslim in case there's any particularly good madrassas either.