The Labour Leadership Campaign

Christmas Tree

And you never seem to manage to point out where I'm clueless on politics ;)

Keep on :lol: ing

Anyone would just need to read the dozens of times in this thread when you pretend you haven't seen a question I've posed tbh. If you haven't got a memorised soundbite to hand, you're palpably out of your depth.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To the Dunes please.

You know, Shields? On the beachfront?

Mate... the Dunes?

*fires up Uber app*

There are times when I read CT's posts and I desperately want one us, and I'm genuinely not fussy who, to die instantly.

You have to be really fucking stupid to love something and be so clueless about it. Food, politics, football.... :lol:

:lol: :lol:

This thread is a gold mine.

And you never seem to manage to point out where I'm clueless on politics ;)

'... on politics'. The need for clarification says a lot. :lol:

Edited by toonotl

Parky - if Labour do what you wnat they'll be marginalised forever - you can only WIN an election in the UK from the middle..........

the last left-wing win was in 1945...............

Parky - if Labour do what you wnat they'll be marginalised forever - you can only WIN an election in the UK from the middle..........

the last left-wing win was in 1945...............

You've been reading too many Tory rags.

Lower the top rate of tax to 30% and luss the balance onto multinationals while making child care/kindergarten free for all. Middle England is yours.

Edited by Park Life

Nice deflect Malfoy ;)

I meant the politics thread but it wasn't a deflection. I'm sure people will make their own judgements. You're a complete blagger. Just not a very good one.

Tories changing the laws on striking, effectively making all strikes illegal. Step 2 will of course be to wipe out public service enhanced hours payments. Will I fuck be working weekends and nights for the same pay as someone doing 9-5

Tories changing the laws on striking, effectively making all strikes illegal. Step 2 will of course be to wipe out public service enhanced hours payments. Will I fuck be working weekends and nights for the same pay as someone doing 9-5

How so?

Isn't the principle that they're requiring a level of participation, in tandem with a level of backing, that would make the vast majority of strikes untenable for unions? Ironically, were the same criteria applied to the General Election, they wouldn't have been allowed to form a government.

Ultimately though they're just eliminating Labour's power base - which is a totally rational thing to do from their point of view. Why in fuck have Labour not sorted themselves out yet, they've almost bloody lost the next General Election, let alone the last one...

I'm not saying that it isn't going to damage Labour but I reckon it's largely to make life a bit easier for Londoners by preventing action on the underground.

But the comparison with a general election that is often used simply doesn't stand up.

No? Can you elaborate on that one? It's not something that I've put a lot of thought into but aren't they both supposed to be vehicles of democratic elections?

EDIT - For clarity, my knowledge on the way unions work is limited.

Edited by Rayvin

I'm no expert on unions or general elections myself so I'm open to correction but as I understand it there are some very basic differences.

The turnout rates for elections are based on eligible voters i.e. everyone in the country who can vote, not just those on the electoral register, the turnout rate for union ballots is only a reflection of the number of members who have actively decided to join that union and paid annually for the privilege. So union members should not be as apathetic as the general population.

General elections are something that have to happen. Despite what Parky may believe we do actually need a government. Strike ballots are asking you to vote affirmatively for an action that may or may not be needed, surely to say that you have a mandate for a specific action on behalf of your union then you should have a reasonable turnout and a strong percentage of all members voting in favour.

Union ballots may ask various questions of the voter but my understanding is that the possible options are simply yes or no. In the UK we have numerous parties standing for election which splits the vote. If we had a two party system then chances are that the government would have a much higher percentage of votes than they currently do.

Given the low level of strikes currently affecting the UK I don't believe that this bill is being introduced for the benefit of the average Briton but that doesn't necessarily mean that it is wrong. I haven't really given it enough thought or read enough about it to make an informed decision but I'm not going to automatically accept that it's a bad bill.

Ok I get where you're coming from. That said, I think it's important to remember that the running of the country doesn't actually *require* politicians. The civil servants run the country, the politicians just tell them which strategies to implement. As such, having government in the sense of having politicians is largely not required for the actual day to day functioning of the country. In much the same way as the board of directors isn't required for the day to day running of a company. I mention this just because I don't think there's a burning imperative to elect a political government when the time comes, and therefore minimum quotas would not derail the country, in the short term at least.

But anyway, I take the point on the yes/no vs. multiple options bit.

Presumably unions could get around this by making mandatory voting a part of the membership requirement anyway... that said, I'm not certain how relevant they are in this day and age.

Edited by Rayvin

Isn't the principle that they're requiring a level of participation, in tandem with a level of backing, that would make the vast majority of strikes untenable for unions? Ironically, were the same criteria applied to the General Election, they wouldn't have been allowed to form a government.

Ultimately though they're just eliminating Labour's power base - which is a totally rational thing to do from their point of view. Why in fuck have Labour not sorted themselves out yet, they've almost bloody lost the next General Election, let alone the last one...

This basically

Yup.

A new party of the left will emerge out of the Labour Party.