The Labour Leadership Campaign

Christmas Tree

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This illegal wars bit is a rather irrelevant waste of 'debating' time to be honest. Blair's war was approved by Parliament was it not? Therefore it was legal. Ridiculous and based highly dubious information, but legal until someone actually proves otherwise in court.

Bombing other countries, technically, doesn't count as an act of war, or so I've heard, so I'm not sure we can claim that Cameron has done that. The point is probably that, given Cameron's attempt to take us to war in Syria, he's quite prepared to get us wrapped up in a similar confrontation to Blair's one, for reasons that almost certainly have nothing to do with the reasons we're actually being given. Therefore, it's all much of a muchness.

No one is voting for either party based on war though. I'm actually more interested in hearing about the argument for apprenticeships going on into people's late 20s...is that for real?

I agree, but with any luck they'll be prevented. I don't think the Tories really have the mandate to take us back. Then again, I'm sure some sort of 'high threat terror event' can be fabricated for it, if the situation becomes dire enough.

I agree, but with any luck they'll be prevented. I don't think the Tories really have the mandate to take us back. Then again, I'm sure some sort of 'high threat terror event' can be fabricated for it, if the situation becomes dire enough.

Quite.

No doubt there will a drill going on the very same day as the 'terror event'. ;)

This illegal wars bit is a rather irrelevant waste of 'debating' time to be honest. Blair's war was approved by Parliament was it not? Therefore it was legal. Ridiculous and based highly dubious information, but legal until someone actually proves otherwise in court.

Bombing other countries, technically, doesn't count as an act of war, or so I've heard, so I'm not sure we can claim that Cameron has done that. The point is probably that, given Cameron's attempt to take us to war in Syria, he's quite prepared to get us wrapped up in a similar confrontation to Blair's one, for reasons that almost certainly have nothing to do with the reasons we're actually being given. Therefore, it's all much of a muchness.

No one is voting for either party based on war though. I'm actually more interested in hearing about the argument for apprenticeships going on into people's late 20s...is that for real?

You can be an apprentice at any age. There isn't any limit, although your best chance of the full funding allowance is for the age range 16-24.

I'm sure others will tell you the downsides, but given the days of a job for life are mostly over, lots of people find themselves having to retrain. Others find themselves in careers they hate and others piss around at and after school and therefore struggle to secure employment.

You can be an apprentice at any age. There isn't any limit, although your best chance of the full funding allowance is for the age range 16-24.

I'm sure others will tell you the downsides, but given the days of a job for life are mostly over, lots of people find themselves having to retrain. Others find themselves in careers they hate and others piss around at and after school and therefore struggle to secure employment.

Employment levels are nothing to do with people.

They can't wait to get back into Syria. Well unhappy that Russia has thrown a spanner in the works. Ukraine was punishment for that.

What's your view for "dealing" with IS parky. We all know it's a mess and they are just going to continue to try and expand.

I've no idea how to solve it btw ;)

We have apprentices at work and in a lot of senses it's a good pathway. The problem is that first year of pay is shocking...very difficult to live on. And speaking as an employer, I can safely say that the reason we use apprentices is because they're cheaper than normal labour - and because we can, in theory, kick out said apprentice after 2 years and bring in another one. It's all a rather sorry state of affairs.

That said, we've retained all apprentices we've ever trained - but I know our CEO keeps wanting to get rid of them from a cost point of view.

The main thing with IS is to cut off the money and logistics.

Seeing as it is American foreign policy to break those countries up they haven't to this point really taken IS on. If the yanks really decided to it would be over in a couple of weeks. We need to stay out. There will be massive blow back from this over the coming years.

Edited by Park Life

What's your view for "dealing" with IS parky. We all know it's a mess and they are just going to continue to try and expand.

I've no idea how to solve it btw ;)

ISIS are a US asset IMO; they're acting almost entirely in line with what I would assume to be US strategic interests (destabilising the Mid-East and Russian partners).

In terms of how taking them out could be done, I rather fancy Israel could handle it, if it so desired. In truth, any competent military power could do it.

EDIT - see also Parky's response :lol:

Edited by Rayvin

We have apprentices at work and in a lot of senses it's a good pathway. The problem is that first year of pay is shocking...very difficult to live on. And speaking as an employer, I can safely say that the reason we use apprentices is because they're cheaper than normal labour - and because we can, in theory, kick out said apprentice after 2 years and bring in another one. It's all a rather sorry state of affairs.

That said, we've retained all apprentices we've ever trained - but I know our CEO keeps wanting to get rid of them from a cost point of view.

Aye, the company I used to work for saw it as a cheaper route, but also as a way get them you and ingrained into the company way. During my time we took 5 on, all were kept on did well.

In Julys budget there was announcement about an apprenticeship levy aimed at iirc large firms, precisely to stop them taking the piss.

Like always there'll be good and bad firms but if you get a good one and manage to turn your life around then great.

Older you get though with more commitments, the harder it is to retrain.

Think they were an asset or parts of it were but they have gone 'off reservation'.

Aye, they now control oil and agriculture apparently and are becoming more self reliant.

I'm not saying we should get involved, but with nobody to stop them surely it's just delaying a much bigger conflict when they swallow Syria, Iraq etc and really get hold of bigger bucks and weapons?

Edited by Christmas Tree

Aye, the company I used to work for saw it as a cheaper route, but also as a way get them you and ingrained into the company way. During my time we took 5 on, all were kept on did well.

In Julys budget there was announcement about an apprenticeship levy aimed at iirc large firms, precisely to stop them taking the piss.

Like always there'll be good and bad firms but if you get a good one and manage to turn your life around then great.

Older you get though with more commitments, the harder it is to retrain.

True enough.

Also positive to hear about the apprenticeship levy.

In truth, we've struggled to recruit on the apprentice minimum recently, it's looking like we'll have to go higher. One thing that seems to be holding up is that the power is back in the hands of the employees in the jobs market, which is positive.

Corbyn unsurprisingly committed to reinstating clause IV. Taking Labour back 20 years.

Burnham has said he'd nationalise railways which remains a popular policy with the public.

Also the biggest intervention in the "free market" in history took place under New Labour which shows clause 4 is a symbol more than anything and one I'd welcome the return of. It was a bad day when the Tory bastard removed it.