Guardian lies

Search for a British Asian football star kicks off

In the absence of any British-Asian Premier League players, Chelsea football club are putting young Asians through their paces to see if any of them can make the grade

http://www.guardian.co.uk/profile/chrisarnot

Jaz Dhami, 25, is a young, talented Asian role model. He is a Birmingham-born bhangra singer and coaches an under-10s football team in his spare time. Who better – in the absence of any British-Asian professional Premier League players – to help launch Chelsea football club's second annual Search for an Asian Soccer Star? Last year, more than 350 wannabes, aged eight to 13, travelled to Chelsea's leafy training ground in Cobham, Surrey, to be put through their paces by some of the shrewdest coaches in the game. This bank holiday weekend the Premier League champions are expecting many more to turn up.

The initiative is the first of its kind to be undertaken by a professional football club. Simon Taylor, Chelsea's head of corporate social responsibility, says: "I'm sick and tired of hearing that Asians can't play football; that they're only interested in cricket; that they have the wrong diet; that their parents want them all to be lawyers and doctors. It's all complete nonsense.

"A football club should represent every strata of society, and Chelsea is open to using its prestige and influence to say that football can make a huge difference."

Black players are now accepted as an integral part of the professional game. But it was very different in the 1970s and 80s when Cyrille Regis, John Barnes and Viv Anderson were making their names and the National Front was making trouble on the terraces. When Andy Cole made his debut at Newcastle's St James's Park, Taylor, then a student in the city, recalls: "There were protests outside the ground. But Andy scored a hat-trick that day and we heard no more from the protesters."

The same year, 1993, Let's Kick Racism Out of Football was founded by the Commission for Racial Equality and the Professional Footballers' Association. Now shortened to Kick it Out, it has turned its attention to combating the under-representation of Asian players through its One Game, One Community campaign. Director Piara Powar wants other clubs to follow Chelsea's example.

Zesh Rehman was the first British Asian to play in the Premier League when he signed for Fulham. Now captain of Bradford City, in Division Two, he has launched a foundation to encourage "the next generation" to look for the opportunities that football can offer.

"I remember a Sunday league coach telling me when I was 10 that I'd never make it because of my background," Rehman says. "My older brother Rizwan and me played in mixed teams and encountered a lot of racist comments. But you have to be mentally tough enough to block them out. We were lucky that we had 100% support from our parents, and Mum made sure we had the right diet from the age of 12 onwards."

Three of the most promising youngsters to emerge from last year's event at Cobham, Jordan Sidhu, A'ameer Kstantin-Murphy and Jhai Singh Dhillon, spent a week training with Chelsea's academy. "They didn't look out of place," Taylor says, "and they progressed so much." Sidhu and Kstintin-Murphy have since signed to join academies at Southend FC and Leyton Orient.

I'm sure with the Guardian being such a champion of truth and seeker of justice, they'll have no problem printing a full apology tomorrow.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't imagine the reason there haven't been many players from the subcontinent is because of racial intolerance. It's more likely that it hasn't been their number 1 sport as it is for many of the world.

Too much money is riding on football these days, an owner isn't going to shy away from signing the Asian Ronaldo.

anyway, they're forgetting about the Asian players who are already noticed on the world stage... Naani for one.

Edited by The Fish

Typical Guardian shite, printing anything to suit their left wing do gooder agenda. The sandalistas will be having a field day and probably believing this.

am I right in saying he made his debut away from home anyway?....did he also score?....cant really remember but I seem to recall he made his debut v Bristol City who we signed him from at Aston Gate...and he scored..maybe 2?....could be wrong but the comment is patent bollocks :wub:

am I right in saying he made his debut away from home anyway?....did he also score?....cant really remember but I seem to recall he made his debut v Bristol City who we signed him from at Aston Gate...and he scored..maybe 2?....could be wrong but the comment is patent bollocks :wub:

Got 10 minutes and Swindon in a game we lost because the ref let them get away with murder, made his debut at home to Notts Co 1 goal in a 4-0.

I love it when journalists print hearsay which fits their story - getting a good kicking in the comments though.

Got 10 minutes and Swindon in a game we lost because the ref let them get away with murder, made his debut at home to Notts Co 1 goal in a 4-0.

I love it when journalists print hearsay which fits their story - getting a good kicking in the comments though.

Makes you wonder what the fuck the "editor" does for his money.....regardless of the nature of the paper, all of them are big on accuracy and this spells trouble for someone.

Graham fucking Poll.

Search for a British Asian football star kicks off

In the absence of any British-Asian Premier League players, Chelsea football club are putting young Asians through their paces to see if any of them can make the grade

http://www.guardian.co.uk/profile/chrisarnot

Jaz Dhami, 25, is a young, talented Asian role model. He is a Birmingham-born bhangra singer and coaches an under-10s football team in his spare time. Who better – in the absence of any British-Asian professional Premier League players – to help launch Chelsea football club's second annual Search for an Asian Soccer Star? Last year, more than 350 wannabes, aged eight to 13, travelled to Chelsea's leafy training ground in Cobham, Surrey, to be put through their paces by some of the shrewdest coaches in the game. This bank holiday weekend the Premier League champions are expecting many more to turn up.

The initiative is the first of its kind to be undertaken by a professional football club. Simon Taylor, Chelsea's head of corporate social responsibility, says: "I'm sick and tired of hearing that Asians can't play football; that they're only interested in cricket; that they have the wrong diet; that their parents want them all to be lawyers and doctors. It's all complete nonsense.

"A football club should represent every strata of society, and Chelsea is open to using its prestige and influence to say that football can make a huge difference."

Black players are now accepted as an integral part of the professional game. But it was very different in the 1970s and 80s when Cyrille Regis, John Barnes and Viv Anderson were making their names and the National Front was making trouble on the terraces. When Andy Cole made his debut at Newcastle's St James's Park, Taylor, then a student in the city, recalls: "There were protests outside the ground. But Andy scored a hat-trick that day and we heard no more from the protesters."

The same year, 1993, Let's Kick Racism Out of Football was founded by the Commission for Racial Equality and the Professional Footballers' Association. Now shortened to Kick it Out, it has turned its attention to combating the under-representation of Asian players through its One Game, One Community campaign. Director Piara Powar wants other clubs to follow Chelsea's example.

Zesh Rehman was the first British Asian to play in the Premier League when he signed for Fulham. Now captain of Bradford City, in Division Two, he has launched a foundation to encourage "the next generation" to look for the opportunities that football can offer.

"I remember a Sunday league coach telling me when I was 10 that I'd never make it because of my background," Rehman says. "My older brother Rizwan and me played in mixed teams and encountered a lot of racist comments. But you have to be mentally tough enough to block them out. We were lucky that we had 100% support from our parents, and Mum made sure we had the right diet from the age of 12 onwards."

Three of the most promising youngsters to emerge from last year's event at Cobham, Jordan Sidhu, A'ameer Kstantin-Murphy and Jhai Singh Dhillon, spent a week training with Chelsea's academy. "They didn't look out of place," Taylor says, "and they progressed so much." Sidhu and Kstintin-Murphy have since signed to join academies at Southend FC and Leyton Orient.

I'm sure with the Guardian being such a champion of truth and seeker of justice, they'll have no problem printing a full apology tomorrow.

Aye, I don't remember him scoring a hatrick on his home debut, but then I was too busy protesting.

Probably meant home debut which was against Notts County if i remember correctly. 4-1 ?

League Cup the next season was 4-1. He did get a hatrick in that one iirc.

When I lived in Birmingham, my mate Jasvinder used to play for Villa reserves, but broke his leg and it ended his career. He used to play 5 a side with us (after the knee op) and was still better than anyone within a 5km radius.

Guest alex

Doesn't mention the hissing noises made by Chelsea fans when they play Spurs for some reason but invents a protest at NUFC. Good to see the Guardian still not bothering to research its articles too.