Fat Sam, suited to Inter Milan or Real Madrid

Sonatine

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The more i listen to his waffle about live-fed ProZone data [and other psuedo-techno speak] and how it impacts/influences his everyday & matchday team management, the more it cements my belief that Shepherd was correct in stonewalling SBR's request to have it used here.

Um but Shepherd employed fat Sam, his backroom staff and the technology in the end anyway.

At least SBR would have used it for positive tactics.

I'm not backpedalling here but that was the price of the admission, when employing Fat Sam - a well thought of manager at the time, a current exponent of the system [and thus a far more effective salesman] with what was perceived to have years ahead him in the management caper as compared with a manager [sBR] who was on the last legs of his career. SBR at the time was a peripheral figure in the club's long-term plans.

As for SBR, and what he would or wouldn't have used it for, i don't entirely buy into your argument. I'm sure Robson approached the board [to have it used here] during his final two seasons, and during this time i felt that he started to lose his feel [or instincts] come matchday ie. the recognition for appropriate positional changes & use of substitutions, particularly changes at half time [or shortly after] to change a matches tempo and momentum.

Compared with season 01/02 [where he was at the top of his game in the aforementioned department] he displayed an overcautious approach with his subs bench usage, and placed an over-reliance on his favoured 1st choice outfield. He bled that 02/03 first choice eleven [particularly our midfield unit] for all that it was worth when he had some very effective deputies being wasted on the bench ie. players of Acuna & Lua Lua's ilk, effective role-players. Too much 'chin in hands' stuff in the dug-out [from SBR] in his final 2 seasons, hoping that his chargers would turn it around by themselves and not enough proactive management from the dug-out.

Managing from the dugout, or the terraces, and applying the appropriate changes is an instinctive caper. Matchday management, using ProZone, and basing one's tactical decisions based on a set of live-fed figures to a laptop is for blokes [who place an over reliance on it] who have lost these aforementioned instincts, or the feel for the game [sBR applies here]. Of course we have the beauty of hindsight now, when placing Sam into the argument, he was berefit of such match-day/dug-out skill from the outset.

ProZone, in SBR's case, would've served at prolonging a manager's final days, a manager who was nearing or past his use-by-date already.

Edited by Year Zero

:lol::icon_lol:

I could play Freddie Mercury, claims Allardyce

sam_allardyce.jpg

Blackburn manager Sam Allardyce has continued his extraordinary public breakdown by insisting he is the perfect candidate to play Freddie Mercury in an upcoming film about Queen.

Allardyce, who left the world of football open-mouthed in disbelief on Friday when he claimed that he could manage Real Madrid despite presiding over a style of play that is the footballing equivalent of a backstreet abortion, has issued a come and get me plea to Brian May and Roger Taylor, who are overseeing the project.

“Much like me, Freddie was a man’s man,” said Allardyce. “He was a performer, a showman. Why do you think twenty odd thousand people come to Ewood Park every other week?”

“It sure as shit isn’t for the football, I can guarantee you that. They come to see me strutting around the technical area in the same way that Freddie used to strut around the stage.”

Queen Movie

Allardyce has urged May and Taylor to reconsider the decision to cast Sacha Baron Cohen in the role of Freddie Mercury, something he considers would be a huge mistake.

“Sacha is a Girl’s name for starters,” He insisted. “It would be an insult to Freddie’s memory.”

“There’s only two people on this Earth who could exude the required high levels of masculinity to do Freddie’s memory justice. One’s me, the other’s Tom Selleck.”

http://newsarse.com/2010/09/20/i-could-pla...aims-allardyce/

I'm pretty happy with Sam. He dug us out of one fucking huge hole, and got us to 10th. Sure, I'd like us to play more attractive football, but the thoughtof Grella and Andrews trying to emulate Xavi and Fabregas is too scary to contemplate. And neither will be in a Rovers shirt for as long as I live. He's doing OK with no money at all.

I'm pretty happy with Sam. He dug us out of one fucking huge hole, and got us to 10th. Sure, I'd like us to play more attractive football, but the thoughtof Grella and Andrews trying to emulate Xavi and Fabregas is too scary to contemplate. And neither will be in a Rovers shirt for as long as I live. He's doing OK with no money at all.

I can understand all of that. I just can't seem to stand him since he managed us.

• 1 month later...